Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Card API

SCF Rewards
    Country

Card API

Hi all... haven't posted here for a very long time. Getting back into my collection. I have over 20,000 cards, and no idea whatsoever what I have. So I'm undertaking the rather annoying task of organizing them.

None of the tools out there seem to be sufficient for task. I tried Beckett organize, a few others, and nothing really works for me. The data entry itself is almost impossible.

So, I'm actually considering rolling my own. The problem is that there seems to be no APIs that make set/card information available. It's not even that they're not free, they just don't seem to exist. I've seen a few remarks of people who have considered this, a few websites with proprietary databases, but nothing useful to me. (and if you know of something, please let me know, but I've done my homework!)

So I'm gauging interest here:

If I were to create an API backend (and I have the technical ability to do so, I write these things for my day job), would there be interest in populating it? The goal would be for the data itself to be free, but the API access to maybe not be, depending on hosting costs, etc. I ultimately want to write a front end that works on web, mac, or windows that consumes the data which I probably *would* charge for, but that'd be down the line.

The API could contain data for individual collections, but that's not the main goal. The main goal is just to have something that you can connect to, get a list of cards in a set, get a list of sets, manufacturers, etc.

I'm dead serious about this, but while I could write the APIs and database backend myself, I absolutely cannot populate it myself, so there's really no point in trying without building a community around it.

Any interest? If there is, I'll set up a website, project, etc., and we'll get rolling.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sorry for late answer…

I have a project runing like you talk about.