Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Returning to the hobby

SCF Rewards
    Country

Returning to the hobby

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've logged on here, but I'm looking to get back into the hobby. It's been a few years, but I feel like a lot has changed (COVID, etc.), and I was wondering a little about the state of the hobby (mostly TTM).

It seems like almost no current players sign these days, which is a bummer, but I kind of understand. Am I wrong in this assumption? I feel like in years past, things like spring training would be a huge event to send out TTM requests to hot prospects or established stars and at least have a shadow of a doubt at a return. When it comes to retired players, it seems that so many of them charge a fee now. Regarding football, it feels like it's always been difficult to get current players, but seeing more older guys charge is a little disheartening.

Is it just me looking at the past through rose-colored glasses, or is TTM kind of dying?

I hope not, since it was a great hobby for a few years of my life, and I'd love to get back to it.

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants Philadelphia Phillies New Jersey Devils
    See arfmax's Items on eBay

I agree with you, fewer and fewer current players sign TTM, but with the pandemic, I get the impression that some teams are not passing fan mail to the players. Spring training used to be really great, but the return rates slowed year after year, and now there are so many fewer players who seem to sign. As for the older players, I think most are willing to sign, however, they either want a donation, or they have signed a deal with a "promoter" and now are charging for their auto and it is thru a 3rd party, or doing 'private' signings in batches. Everyone seems to be a promoter these days. And finally, it has become a quick way to make a buck for "collectors". If they see that an athlete signs for free, they mail a few cards, get them signed, and then immediately post them for sale, trying to turn a quick buck.
    TTM used to be the cost of two stamps for most attempts, but now it seems like if you don't include money, many older guys won't sign. I don't mind giving a charitable donation or giving a few bucks, but some of the prices are crazy, when you are not guaranteed an authentic autograph and you are not meeting the player. Frankly, I stopped mailing many TTMs a few years ago, and concentrate on in-person signings and events.

However, if you focus on the guys that you want, or a set that you are working on, it can still be fun, but it will probably cost you more to complete a set or a project than it would have a few years ago.

-arfmax
    Working on autographed 1987 Topps Baseball set:
    Total Cards in Set:792/Total Autographable: 760 (6 Checklists, 26 Team Leaders)
    Total Autographed:639!
    Currently Sent (Outstanding):44
    Percent Complete:84.1