Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

Introducing the new football moderators

Hi all!
    @turnpipe and I are pleased to report we passed our probationary period training as moderators and will be serving the community as full fledged mods. While our focus is on football, please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have questions or need some support. We can either help you directly, or put you in touch with those that can. Many thanks to @doniceage for mentoring us through the training period and the rest of the SCF staff for giving us the opportunity.

A little bit about myself - I've been a member here for the last 10 years. I got my start using the TTM Manager resources extensively to build up my autograph collection and later branched out to buying/selling/trading. I've collected cards in some form since 1989, going through baseball, basketball, and football phases though nowadays I'm 100% football. My collecting interests are all things Topps Finest whether it's base, inserts, parallels, auto/mem, oddball, brochures, ads, flyers, displays, etc. Love it all! I'm also a Bears fan and maintain smaller player collections of Walter Payton, Justin Fields, and Alshon Jeffery. I do some set building as well but I've cooled on that over time. I've started to grow my graphic design work, doing custom football cards for friends, colleagues, and former/current football players. One of the important values I have is ensuring my work doesn't infringement on copyright law. I'm married to a copyright librarian so I can bounce ideas and scenarios off of my spouse whenever I like :). When I'm not working on my hobby I work in the IT field, formerly a jack-of-all-trades Network Administration and later a Unified Communications Engineer though now it's mostly project-based work. My SO and I have kids at home who keep us busy and a dog who won't stop figuring out ways to jump on our dining room table.

I enjoy being part of this community and hope to see you around. Don't forget to give me an @jplcom if you've got some cool uncommon Finest cards ;).

-JP

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oklahoma Sooners

Hello world,
    I’m glad to be a mod here. I’ve been a member for over a decade after migrating from the Topps Message Boards. I have historically collected Oklahoma Sooners in football and am a born and bred Sooner fan. I’ve been in the hobby off and on for about 20 years. I would also like to add that we have some control over the other boards as well, and if we don’t we can easily contact someone who does. If you see anything that needs attention, have any questions, or need anything else please reach out. We are also working on the Super Collector HoF requirements for the football board and other staff are getting Collector of the Month up and running again. I think you can find more info on that in the Chit Chat forum. I’m looking forward to trading and interacting with you all!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Congrats to you both and welcome to the staff.

Bake
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Raiders NULL NULL
    See clk823's Items on eBay

congratulations
    Ebay Card Value Should Be Traded on Ebay.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TR (44)
    Country
    West Virginia Mountaineers

Congratulations!

I've started to grow my graphic design work, doing custom football cards for friends, colleagues, and former/current football players. One of the important values I have is ensuring my work doesn't infringement on copyright law. I'm married to a copyright librarian so I can bounce ideas and scenarios off of my spouse whenever I like :).

I'd be interested in seeing some pics of the custom cards!

We are also working on the Super Collector HoF requirements for the football board and other staff are getting Collector of the Month up and running again. I think you can find more info on that in the Chit Chat forum.

I'm proud to be a Super Collector, and might try for a second player(s) and/or Team, but I forget the requirements.
    So, I'd look forward to hearing what they are.
    I collect all WVU Alumni: Amos Zereoue, Steve Slaton, Pat White, Robert Sands, Rasul Douglas, Avon Cobourne, Quincy Wilson, Owen Schmitt, Will Grier, Gary Jennings, David Sills, Trevon Wesco, Pat McAfee, Darius Stills, Tavon Austin, Geno Smith, Charles Sims, Sam Huff, Chuck Howley, Jerry West (NBA), Jevon Carter (NBA), Jedd Gyorko (MLB), etc.
    and
    Dolphins, Avalanche, St.L Cardinals, & SF Giants

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears TCU Horned Frogs

Yay! Good to hear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks all!

I'd be interested in seeing some pics of the custom cards!

These are mostly recent ones I've done. I've got a decent sized back catalog and of course different players for each series.

All originals

1. 2022 Epic Premium Performances Joe Burrow
    2. 2022 Epic Aaron Donald
    3. 2021 Epic Rookies Trevor Lawrence
    4. Tecmo Super Bowl Legends - fit for TTMs and I've had many returns on these.
    5. Alternity Series - based on speculations, what-could-have-beens, etc.
    6. 2021-22 Epic Gridiron Classics - these take a while to make but are tons of fun.
    7. Titanic Patches - I've done these for years. My customs thread details how I use a 3d printer plus ebay sourced jerseys to make memorabilia cards.
    8. Circular Swatches - made with replica penalty flag material, I have one of these signed by Ed Houchuli

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Here's some more from my portfolio. These are all examples of recreations from other licensed sets. There's a bunch more, mostly designs from the 60s-early 90s.

1. 2016 Donruss Rated Rookies, modified for TTM and added the 2020 draft class logo.
    2. 2001 Topps Transactions subset, modified with a 20th anniversary logo.
    3. 1990 Topps "cards that never were" with Rison in a Colts uni.
    4. 1989 Topps with a current (at the time) player.
    5. 1961 Topps baseball, I have both TTM and non-TTM versions. First recreation I ever tried, pretty simple but looks clean.
    6. 1990 Topps Galactic parallel. I did a whole bunch of parallels for this set. Nothing so boring as simple border color changes either.
    7. 1979 Topps league leaders subset. This was a custom job for someone.
    8. 2001 Topps Combos insert set. Updated when the huge trade went down last year.

This is an original series I did in the same spirit as Topps Total called 2021 Epic Triple Team. The idea is for a brand to hold mass appeal to large set builders and team collectors while giving cards to players who otherwise may never get one. The Style Guide for this set is:

A. Card 1 is the top QB and then (pick 2) top RB, WR, TE on the team. For the Chiefs it might be QB, WR, TE, for the Browns maybe QB, RB, WR.
    B. Card 2 is the top DL, LB, and DB on the team.
    C. Card 3 is the 4th best offensive player, 4th best defensive player, and a special teams player.
    D. Card 4 are any award winning players that may have been missed in the first 3 cards, new FA adds, or otherwise a continuation of Card 3 with more players.
    E. Card 5 are the first 3 picks for a team in the NFL draft.
    F. Card 6 are 3 other rookies for a team in the NFL draft. UDFAs may make an appearance.

In terms of parallels, the base card gets a team background color. That color changes to a bronze, silver, or gold hue with an image of the city (bronze), image of the stadium (silver), or an image of the end zone (gold). The 1/1 parallel is an image of the locker room. Card 1 shows an example of the bronze/city parallel.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TR (44)
    Country
    West Virginia Mountaineers

Thanks for sharing!
    I really like the middle row:
    4. Tecmo Super Bowl Legends - fit for TTMs and I've had many returns on these.
    5. Alternity Series - based on speculations, what-could-have-beens, etc.
    6. 2021-22 Epic Gridiron Classics - these take a while to make but are tons of fun.