Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Washington Capitals Chicago Blackhawks
    See sleepn0t's Items on eBay
    Member is PayPal Verified

Someone here knows vintage OPC cards?!

Just a quick question... It's concerning a 1972-73 O-Pee-Chee #145 Ken Dryden DP card that I've just sold on fb last week. Problem is that the guy who bought it from me, is now blaming me and accusing me to have sold him a fake card! It's a card that I've got on eBay not so long ago, as a bonus item with a purchase I've made.

The edges are exactly what you would expect them to be for a Hockey card from the 70's, meaning they're not smooth at all, but rather rough with many imperfections all along. In fact, that's mainly what (not to say the only thing) I have based myself on to determine its authenticity!

All the accusations of the buyer are based on the one fact that my card is not the same shade of green (color in the background) than the one he previously had. He says, out of 100 of these OPCs that he has in his collection, my Dryden is the 1st & only 1 to be from a different color... So, my question, are there people here who know for a fact if this set had various colors/shades, even for two cards from the same exact team?

OR, was that number 145 Dryden DP card any counterfeit?! He provided me w/ a scan that proves his affirmations. I know It's not an HD pic, but that's really what he sent me. Please take note that my card is on the right, and his (old one) is on the left. You won't see the edges clearly, however, I'm showing u his photo so that you can see the variation in the colors...

Thanks in advance for having read me, and 4 ur help! Of course, any help is gonna be much appreciated, and more than welcome! Anything that can help me out solving this mystery. Needless to say that I was positive the card was genuine before selling it. A little less now... Thx again!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sleepn0t; 04-25-2022 at 11:08 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I have a hard time believing anyone would go to the trouble of faking a 72-73.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have a hard time believing anyone would go to the trouble of faking a 72-73.

Thanks subban7677 for your fast reply! You mean 'cause these ain't worth that much?!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens

Thanks subban7677 for your fast reply! You mean 'cause these ain't worth that much?!

A second-year Dryden certainly has some value, but nothing remotely close to his 71-72 rookie. If you were going to fake something, you fake the rookie. Old OPCs can come in different shades. I HIGHLY doubt it's a fake.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens

Here are a couple of mine. Different shades.

SCF Rewards
    Country

A second-year Dryden certainly has some value, but nothing remotely close to his 71-72 rookie. If you were going to fake something, you fake the rookie. Old OPCs can come in different shades. I HIGHLY doubt it's a fake.

Thank you SO MUCH! I thought exactly like you; I'd fake a Dryden rc instead, if I was a dishonest person. Not his 2nd year card. Plus, the fact it's DP takes away some value too apparently. And they usually sell for around 20 bucks on eBay anyway. Considering all that, and that its edges are rough, if u think there may be some different shades in those OPCs, I have no doubts anymore about its authenticity. Thanks A LOT for your precious help subban7677! You've been very helpful!!! Much appreciated!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thx also 4 your scans! I think this really proves it all! Various shades r indeed possible... Now, I will go ask the buyer for an apology. After all, I guess you can't start a chat w/ somebody like this: "Thanks for the fake card, Champion", w/o having any further proofs but a small variation in the colors. There's a (good) way to do things... And it ain't like this. Thanks again for everything subban7677! Take care!
    Last edited by sleepn0t; 04-25-2022 at 12:50 PM.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Facebook has some special folks on it. Like any "wild west" entity where there's no oversight, it's always buyer beware (in today's toxic climate, it should be "seller beware") and the only thing you have going for you as a seller is your own personal integrity.

A cursory glance of 1972-73 Dryden cards on eBay shows that there is definitely variation in the green background.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I would Imagine that some older cards might fade depending on how they were stored. I have a bunch of early 70's cards and there is the odd one that's a bit off color.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I have 3 20/21 OPC Seismic Gold cards. One looks gold and the other 2 are much darker color. Never occurred to me that one or the other 2 would be fake. lol
    Slight printing error of some kind obviously. It's not that uncommon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast