Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: verification

SCF Rewards
    Country

verification

When dealing with strangers at a distance, how do you verify what you're sending? I worry, particularly with high-end stuff, that someone might claim I didn't include everything, or that the condition was different than I said.

Is this a reason to stick with auction houses for high-end stuff? What other options are there? Ideally I'd find a feasible way to verify even lower-end stuff (since that's going to the majority of what I send).

Thanks.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates Toledo Rockets
    See bigbenjobu's Items on eBay Instagram: Packrip.com Traders

So, without knowing what you consider high-end, there are a couple routes you can take. With more valuable cards, I have actually taken videos of myself packaging the card up and sealing the bubble mailer. It helps that their address is on there already too.

I haven't done it, but having insurance/signature confirmation could also potentially help with verifying that they actually receive it. I have heard of people with issues where a card was delivered, but it wasn't at the correct address, and thus nothing could actually be done/proven.

Also, read the feedback for the buyer. eBay/SCF/etc. all offer feedback, so you can look at their profile and see what other sellers/traders have said about the individual. If an individual has little to know feedback, I would be vary wary about high end deals.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the ideas and tips!

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

If you are still concerned you can always have someone act as a middle man to take both packages. Thy would then verify all items are up to what has been agreed to by both parties. Once, everything has been confirmed to be okay they would send the packages on. There is always a solution you just need to look for it. Have more questions feel free to ask.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country

Interesting idea, Don. Thanks. How would we find a middle man likely to be acceptable to both parties?

A related idea that occurred to me would be to ask a notary public to confirm what's in the package. Probably wouldn't be able to verify grades, but could maybe verify that what went into the package matched a set of photographs.

Thanks for adding a possibility.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Interesting idea, Don. Thanks. How would we find a middle man likely to be acceptable to both parties?

A related idea that occurred to me would be to ask a notary public to confirm what's in the package. Probably wouldn't be able to verify grades, but could maybe verify that what went into the package matched a set of photographs.

Thanks for adding a possibility.

Scf used to offer a escrow service in the past as sometimes a new trader would come here with a high dollar transaction and balk at sending first. Over the years it was not used enough so we just stop doing it as we had a member in Canada and the U.S. doing it. You could always just find a member you both agree on to handle a transaction like this if you needed. It simple enough in the end just need to have the person be wiling to take on the transaction. Here a screenshot of a member mentioning the scf escrow back in 2015 LOL.

DON