Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Grading a Nolan Ryan Rookie

I have a 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan rookie that appears to be in perfect condition. I am in no way a profesional, but have been collecting cards my entire life and to me it looks perfect. I have looked at it under a loupe and the colors are solid with no print dots which tells me it's real from what I've read.

My question is what would be the best place to have it graded to get the highest score? I've seen all the horror stories about perfect cards getting 5's and messed up cards getting 9's. On the off chance that it comes back gem mint what would be the most likely grader?

Currently there is only one psa 10 and two sgc 10's, the highest bvg is 9. Would Beckett be more likely to give it a 9.5 just to say they have one of the best examples in their pack or do they grade harsher which is why they don't have any 9.5's? Does sgc grade lighter which is why they have two 10's? Is it best to just stick with psa since they command the most value? Would submitting it through a psa dealer have a better chance since they seem to get higher scores? How and where would you submit it?

Sorry about the wall of text, I just have lots of questions.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Historically, PSA commands the highest prices on the resale market. But that is if resale is a concern. Some of the other companies have great looking holders, if that is your thing. Some are cheaper than PSA and some are just plain unreliable with grades. So in short. I'm not recommending any of them, but I use PSA most often.

SCF Rewards
    Country

PSA is the only way for that card.
    Sorry to ask but where did you get it and how long have you had it.
    Looks to good, but Blazers are out there.
    Congrats on great looking Ryan.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Tigers Detroit Red Wings Detroit Lions

Check out the ISA group sub. Currently going on! $18 per card 14 day turn around time. Currently no one has signed up for the June sub. Deadline is June 18. ISA is giving away a couple of free grades cards randomly to members who submit just one card!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Coloring looks a bit off, but could be picture only. I would also question the centering as you very seldom will find that card with perfect obverse centering and nice centering on back. Most definately a PSA submission in my view. Good luck!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Tigers Detroit Red Wings Detroit Lions

The back is OC l/r some. The bottom right corner on the front looks a little white to me as well. That might just be the photo though. If you are looking for resale, PSA all the way. Be prepared though, anything less then their $100 service lvl and they WILL up charge you. For PC. Use ISA. Flat rate grading, ever an upcharge and turnaround in days, not months.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears TCU Horned Frogs

Would definitely like to hear more about how you acquired this card. Certainly have questions about the slab it’s in right now. That is peculiar how and why it’s in that slab.

I personally prefer PSA but if all your concerned about is getting this card in a slab with the highest grade possible I’d pick someone else. But if you don’t stick with one of the big three grading companies it’s not going to mean much to most of the “card world” no matter the grade. Heck with so many grading companies out there you can print your own label with any grade you want.

Another idea that can get expensive…. Crack it and resubmit to all the companies until you get the grade your looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country