It happens everywhere. Convinced that you can trade mediocre talent (or worse) plus some average (at best) futures for a star. Trades like that do happen on occasion (Joe Thornton to San Jose comes to mind) but it's rare.

The Oilers would be insane to move McDavid. Is it possible? I guess. Boston wouldn't be a particularly good fit trade wise either (they don't have the pieces that you'd want for a young, in his prime, superstar) - but I'll play along with the idea.

A team like New Jersey could probably put together a deal that is "fair":

Something like Hughes, Bratt, Blackwood, Hamilton, the 2nd overall pick in 2022, and next year's 1st rounder.... for McDavid, Kassian, and Barrie - with Jersey eating the difference between the Hamiliton & Barrie deals (that would be 50% retraining on Hamilton).

Would I do that trade if I were the Oilers? Not a chance. If someone is seriously going to try and pry McDavid loose in a trade - it's a package like that which you'd have to start with (same goes for the likes of Matthews).

It's not a Bruins fan thing though. Trust me. I've had years of listening to call in shows on the radio... and "trade our overpaid / underperformer / washed up vet for something great" is a regular topic.

The optimal response for this is always "Other GM's watch games, you know."