Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

According to one report both Huby and Weegar are open to signing long term with the Flames. I'm not a Flames fan that would be pretty cool. It's more fun when all the Canadian based teams are competitive.

I hate the Flames, and would prefer the Stanley Cup finals being called off due to Spanish Influenza over Calgary winning it.

That being said, the Battle of Alberta is way more fun when both teams are good. I had more fun watching that 2nd round series last year than I have in a LONG time watching hockey. I want more of that, and Calgary being a basement team doesn't give us that.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

Do not forget that Canadian team players pay a lot more taxes than most other teams in the league.

I mean... if I had $30 mil when it could be $40 mil on another team it could make a difference. Like why Stamkos stayed in Tampa where Florida is a tax haven in that regard. $10 mil a season... or $6.5 mil a season....
    Master List: Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Do not forget that Canadian team players pay a lot more taxes than most other teams in the league.

I mean... if I had $30 mil when it could be $40 mil on another team it could make a difference. Like why Stamkos stayed in Tampa where Florida is a tax haven in that regard. $10 mil a season... or $6.5 mil a season....

There is a gap, but it's not as big as we often make it out to be. The Federal tax in the USA is 37%, in Canada it's only 33% (In both cases, since it's a progressive tax, it's actually a tiny bit lower - but I'm not going to do that math this morning. I'll just use the high rates).

So before state or provincial taxes are added, Canada is actually a few points lower.

Of course we don't have any zero-tax provinces, and the USA does - so yeah.... FLA, TB, NSH, DAL all have tax advantages over every single team in the league.

In California though (LA, ANA, SJ) they're paying 13.3% That's just a tick higher than Ontario (13.16) and slightly below Alberta (15%).

If you look around the leauge, and all the marginal tax rates: Montreal will be the highest in the NHL, and Vancouver probably isn't any lower than 5th highest - but EDM, CAL, TOR, OTT are all middle of the pack..... which certainly isn't as good as being bottom of the tax list, but it's not like all Canadian teams are at a massive disadvantage to all American teams.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

Well said!

I was basically referring to Florida being a tax haven, I was not sure about other states particularly. Gaudreau leaving Calgary for much lower money in Columbus is still a kick in the ballsack for Calgarians.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well said!

I was basically referring to Florida being a tax haven, I was not sure about other states particularly. Gaudreau leaving Calgary for much lower money in Columbus is still a kick in the ballsack for Calgarians.

Using that comparison (AB vs OH) specifically, it's one that's driven me a bit crazy with comments on a lot of posts (not here, I'm talking under news stories). "He'll end up making more Columbus" - which isn't true.

Ohio's tax rate is just a hair under 4%, so Johnny is going to be paying roughly 41% of his salary in taxes (less whatever deductions he can find, which are probably plenty).

In Calgary it would be 48% - so a 7% drop in taxes (which, of course, is big).

He took a bigger haircut than 7% though. It's not like the tax drop makes up for all the money he left on the table. Did taxes factor into the decision? To a degree, I would think so. How could they not? They probably weren't a top 5 reason though. He left Calgary because he wanted to.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Huberdeau has signed an 8-year, $84 extension with the Flames. That’s absolutely huge for them and him.

Edit: $84M, $10.5M cap hit
    Last edited by RGM81; 08-04-2022 at 10:56 PM.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Very cool.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

I was giving florida a win on this deal, but with Huby signing long term I lean towards the flames

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

I was giving florida a win on this deal, but with Huby signing long term I lean towards the flames

My first thought when that deal happened: Calgary fleeced them.

When I took another look at the contracts, realizing that both Huberdeau and Weager could walk at the end of the season, I was less convinced.... and when FLA got Tkachuk extended - my thoughts went to "Calgary gets the better deal for 2022-23, but Florida potentially does better over the longer haul".

Now? I'm back to a Flames fleecing. Jonathan Huberdeau is much better at hockey that Matthew Tkachuk, or the dude named Johnny that recently left Calgary.

Calgary is in an interesting spot. Aside from Blake Coleman, they don't have any bad contracts that go beyond this year. I thought that Calgary would make a good landing place for Kadri (it still might?). They're not as good of a team today as they were last season, IMO, because while Huberdeau is the better player of the three - he's can't make up for Tkachuk and Gaudreau both... and I don't believe they will get enough added production from within to make up for the difference.

They still have lots of time to add though.

When the Tkachuk rumors started, I was starting to question if they would still be a playoff team. As of right now, I think it's a pretty safe bet (I don't believe the Pacific is very competitive, and the top 4 teams are most likely going to be EDM, VEG, CAL, LA... in some order. SEA, VAN, ANA, SJ are all going to be bad, I think)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123