Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

1988 P&L Promotions Cape Cod League Returns

Hello, everyone. This is going to be a thread chronicling my successes and failures in trying to build my autographed 1988 P&L Promotions Cape Cod League set. I received my first ever TTM back yesterday, sent 8/13/2022 and received 8/22/2022. It was from Colin Ryan, who was drafted by the Kansas City Royals in 1989 and played a few years of minor league baseball. He played for the Chatham Athletics in 1988 and he is now a police chief. I asked him what his favorite memory is from his time in the Cape Cod League and he wrote me a note back on one of the included index cards. I hope you all enjoy. This is my sixth autographed card for the set.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CCBL1988; 09-09-2022 at 07:57 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I received a new card for the set today. This one is from George Tsamis, the current manager of the Kane County Cougars of the American Association of Professional Baseball. This was sent on 8/13/2022 and received on 8/25/2022. Mr. Tsamis was drafted in 1988 by the Toronto Blue Jays and again in 1989 by the Minnesota Twins. He played one season in the majors for the Twins in 1993. He played for the Falmouth Commodores in 1988. I asked him what his favorite memory is from his time in the Cape Cod League, but he did not answer my question or write anything back. This is my seventh autographed card for the set.
    Last edited by CCBL1988; 08-26-2022 at 05:46 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Another day, another TTM return. Today I received a TTM return from Kirk Dressendorfer. This was sent on 8/14/2022 and received on 8/26/2022. Mr. Dressendorfer was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in 1987 and again by the Oakland Athletics in 1990. He played one year in the majors for the Athletics in 1991. He played for the Hyannis Mets in 1988 and currently works in a management position for a technology company. I asked him the same question as the others and did not receive a response, This is my eighth autographed card for the set.
    Last edited by CCBL1988; 08-26-2022 at 05:32 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I received another TTM for the third straight day. This one was from Mark Johnson and was sent on 8/14/2022 and received on 8/27/2022. Mr. Johnson was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1989 and again by the Pirates in 1990. He went on to play seven years in the majors with the Pittsburgh Pirates, Anaheim Angels, and New York Mets. He played for the Bourne Braves in 1988. He did not answer my question, but he did sign one of the index cards. This is my ninth autographed card for the set.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Baltimore Orioles New York Jets New Jersey Devils

This is a great thread. Seeing the 1988 cards from the Cape is a great challenge.
    Do not think I have seen them before
    Good luck on the collecting and looking forward to more posts

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants Philadelphia Phillies New Jersey Devils
    See arfmax's Items on eBay

yes, keep it up! Do you have a full list of the players in the set that you could share? Just curious about some of the other names
    Working on autographed 1987 Topps Baseball set:
    Total Cards in Set:792/Total Autographable: 760 (6 Checklists, 26 Team Leaders)
    Total Autographed:639!
    Currently Sent (Outstanding):44
    Percent Complete:84.1

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is a great thread. Seeing the 1988 cards from the Cape is a great challenge.
    Do not think I have seen them before
    Good luck on the collecting and looking forward to more posts

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement! Hopefully there will be plenty more to post.

Matt

SCF Rewards
    Country

yes, keep it up! Do you have a full list of the players in the set that you could share? Just curious about some of the other names

Thank you! Here is a link to the set overview on Trading Card Database: https://www.tcdb.com/ViewSet.cfm/sid...ape-Cod-League. I am also going to post the first five cards that I obtained before I started this thread, which include almost half of the biggest names in the set.

Matt

SCF Rewards
    Country

As promised, here are the first five cards I obtained. None of them were obtained via conventional TTM methods, so I'm going to combine them into one post for more background on the set. All scans will follow in separate posts as they appear to be too large to upload in one post. I apologize in advance for the scans of the Beckett slabs. I have not yet figured out how to get a good scan on them.

J.T. Snow - This was the first card I bought. It happened to be on eBay the day I decided to start the set. This is a huge pickup as I was finding it difficult to even track down a signing of his. I bought this card on 6/19/2022.

Frank Thomas - This was the second card I bought. It was already authenticated and encapsulated by Beckett and I got it for less than Mr. Thomas is even signing for now. This was another eBay pickup and I bought this card on 6/28/2022.

Jeff Bagwell - This was the third card I bought. I bought it unsigned and sent it to TRISTAR to have signed at the 42nd National in Atlantic City.

Chuck Knoblauch - This was the fourth card I bought. I also bought this unsigned and sent it to TRISTAR along with the Bagwell to have signed at The National.

Mo Vaughn - This was the fifth card I bought. It was another eBay pickup and I bought this card on 8/7/2022.

Those check off several of the big names and all of the MLB Hall of Fame inductees. There are five Cape Cod League players to have been inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Jeff Bagwell and Frank Thomas are joined by Pie Traynor, Carlton Fisk, and Craig Biggio.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Matt
    Last edited by CCBL1988; 09-09-2022 at 07:05 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

J.T. Snow

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast