Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

They have already conscripted professional athletes from other sports. Given Ovechkin's love for Putin and Russia are you sure he would not report if his name came up.

In the USA, Elvis Presley was drafted and went to Europe with the US Army.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Czech Republic can do whatever they want. If they want to ban Russian hockey players from coming into their country - that is absolutely their right as a nation.

Myself, I feel that the idea of sanctioning athletes because of their passport is ridiculous, and accomplishes nothing. I also think the Czech's wouldn't be so quick to ban the players, if it was Tampa vs New York Rangers (i.e. there would be Russian players that actually matter in the games).

I liked Greir's stance. Either everyone goes, or nobody does. Time will tell if the Sharks backdown though (and it's still possible the Czechs do too).

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

If the USA had more respect for Russia after the fall of USSR and respected what they said about not expanding NATO in eastern Europe, we wouldn't be there. The only winners are the people with big money in the militaro-industrial complex. It's sad for the civilians affected :(

I think the respect was there because if you look at the beginning of the fall they agreed on a lot of things unilaterally.
    https://2001-2009.state.gov/r/pa/ho/pubs/fs/85962.htm

No country is going to agree with another country on all issues that is inevitable. In the world it always people with big money usually being the winners (sad to say). It no different than in the card market LOL

DON

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

I think the respect was there because if you look at the beginning of the fall they agreed on a lot of things unilaterally.
    https://2001-2009.state.gov/r/pa/ho/pubs/fs/85962.htm

No country is going to agree with another country on all issues that is inevitable. In the world it always people with big money usually being the winners (sad to say). It no different than in the card market LOL

DON

You might like this article. A lot of bright people warned that NATO expansion might lead to serious troubles.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...ion-would-lead

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

They have already conscripted professional athletes from other sports. Given Ovechkin's love for Putin and Russia are you sure he would not report if his name came up.

Were the conscripted players Russian based, or were they outside of the country? I can't believe Russia would start pulling NHL players back to fight. I have been wro g before though, and Putin doesn't seem to be playing with a full deck.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

There is no chance they conscript NHL players. None. They're not even going to consider conscripting KHL players.

A guy who could pick between the KHL or the AHL (or CHL, depending on age) - and isn't a likely member of the national team? If he doesn't pick KHL, his army papers might suddenly show up.

Fedotov (the Flyers prospect that got conscripted, just after he signed an ELC) is the perfect example. Good goalie. Good prospect. Just played for Russia at the Olympics. He was going to battle for the backup job in Philly.... but most likely would be an AHL starter this year. He's by no means an elite player - but maybe he can get there someday? He would have been a VERY GOOD player, if he stayed in the KHL.

If he hadn't signed with the Flyers, and tried to come to North America, he wouldn't have been forced into the service.

I don't think there's been any more since him? Just threats?

My understanding is that all men, 18-27, in Russia can be conscripted for one year of military service.... but it is not mandatory. They might ask you to do it (and then you have to) or they might not. There is a ton of corruption in the process. Those well connected, rich, political ties, athletes (etc) won't get asked..... so long as they're doing what the Russian government thinks they should be doing.

SCF Rewards
    Country

There is no chance they conscript NHL players. None. They're not even going to consider conscripting KHL players.

A guy who could pick between the KHL or the AHL (or CHL, depending on age) - and isn't a likely member of the national team? If he doesn't pick KHL, his army papers might suddenly show up.

Fedotov (the Flyers prospect that got conscripted, just after he signed an ELC) is the perfect example. Good goalie. Good prospect. Just played for Russia at the Olympics. He was going to battle for the backup job in Philly.... but most likely would be an AHL starter this year. He's by no means an elite player - but maybe he can get there someday? He would have been a VERY GOOD player, if he stayed in the KHL.

If he hadn't signed with the Flyers, and tried to come to North America, he wouldn't have been forced into the service.

I don't think there's been any more since him? Just threats?

My understanding is that all men, 18-27, in Russia can be conscripted for one year of military service.... but it is not mandatory. They might ask you to do it (and then you have to) or they might not. There is a ton of corruption in the process. Those well connected, rich, political ties, athletes (etc) won't get asked..... so long as they're doing what the Russian government thinks they should be doing.

I guess they don't get enough kickbacks from the MMA
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

I guess they don't get enough kickbacks from the MMA

I just read about Vladimir Mineev (I assume that's who you're referring to).

There are so few instances of pro athletes getting conscripted, I'd be willing to bet there is more to the story than him simply being added to the list at random. He likely pissed someone off (someone in a position of power) or as you suggest.... not enough kickbacks (wouldn't pay the price he was told to?).

I don't know enough about the promotion (AMC) that does the MMA in Russia (other than the name).... but rather than Mineev personally, it wouldn't shock me to learn that someone high up in the company has been critical of Putin either.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

These regular season overseas games are stupid. They're becoming more tiresome that these outdoor stadium games.
    Trade and Want List Below

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

Ovi a little old to be serving. f he was in their reserves, which have been called ,,,,,maybe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast