Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Post Hall of Famer Borje Salming dies at 71

https://www.nhl.com/news/borje-salmi...71/c-338007692

Borje Salming, a true pioneer who helped change the perception of Swedish hockey players, died on Thursday following a short battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). He was 71.

Salming was diagnosed with ALS at the end of April but did not announce it publicly until Aug. 10.

"I have received news that has shaken my family and me," Salming said in a statement at the time. "The signs that indicated that something was wrong in my body turned out to be the disease ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. In an instant, everything changed. I do not know how the days ahead will be, but I understand that there will be challenges greater than anything I have ever faced."

After an outstanding junior and domestic career in his native Sweden, the Maple Leafs took a chance on Salming after watching him play in exhibition games against Canadian junior teams. Although Salming showed his immense skill in those games, it was his willingness to play the physical North American style that convinced the Maple Leafs to bring him to Canada.

Salming had a respectable rookie season in 1973-74, getting 39 points (five goals, 34 assists) in 76 games, but more importantly, he established himself as a hard-nosed player who could hang with the physicality of the League.

By the end of his career, which spanned 17 seasons, Salming was known as a true two-way talent on the blue line and perhaps the best shot blocker of his era.

Salming finished with 787 points (150 goals, 637 assists) in 1,148 regular-season games with Toronto and the Detroit Red Wings, and 49 points (12 goals, 37 assists) in 81 Stanley Cup Playoff games. He was voted to the NHL First All-Star Team once (1977), the NHL Second All-Star Team five times (1975-76, 1978-80), and was twice the runner-up in voting for the Norris Trophy as the NHL's top defenseman.

Salming was also a three-time recipient of the Viking Award (1976, 1977 and 1979) as the top Swedish player in the NHL/WHA as chosen by a poll of players from his own country.

"A superior all-around defenseman and the first Swedish star ever to play in the League, Borje Salming was as physically and mentally tough as he was skillfully gifted," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "He blazed the trail that many of the greatest players in NHL history followed while shattering all of the stereotypes about European players that had been prevalent in a League populated almost entirely by North Americans before his arrival in 1973.

"Salming owns nearly every franchise record for Maple Leafs defensemen, including, goals (148), assists (620) and points (768), and was voted to the NHL's First or Second postseason All-Star Teams six consecutive seasons. He was named one of the top 10 players in Leafs history in 2016. Soon after, he was selected one of the 100 Greatest NHL Players during the League's Centennial celebration. In 1996, he became the first European-trained skater inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

"The National Hockey League mourns the passing of Borje, a towering presence and transformational figure in the game's history. We send our deepest condolences to his wife, Pia; his children, Theresa, Anders, Rasmus, Bianca, Lisa and Sara; all who marveled at his exploits and the many NHL Players who stand on his shoulders."

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

I loved watching this guy play!! Sad day for sure!!
    ALS, (Lou Gehrig's disease) is an absolutely brutal disease. To see what it does to a human being is horrible. Hopefully they find a cure sooner rather than later.
    RIP Borje, you will be missed

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Wow RIP! ALS destroys a body!

Bake
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content