Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McGriff Hofer

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

McGriff Hofer

Elected, mattingly 4 votes short, Murph 6 short.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Atlanta Braves

Happy to see he was elected.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Crime Dog was a great player and congrats! I have wondered why Mattingly hasn't made it!

Bake
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Baltimore Orioles Washington Nationals

Mattingly hasn't made it to the HOF because he doesn't have the stats. His "stats' are okay, but not good enough to get him in the HOF. Here are his main "stats": .307 batting avg. (his best "stat" for him), 2,153 hits (way too low amount), 222 home runs (a good amount of MLB players have had more and not in the HOF), and 1,099 RBI's (good, but not exclusive). A "GOOD" player, but not a "HOFer".

NOTE: If Don Mattingly was to be inducted into the HOF then John Wesley "Boog" Powell should also be put in. He "splits" some numbers with Mattingly ---- BA:Mattingly .307 Powell .266 --- HITS: Mattingly 2,153 Powell 1,776 --- HOME RUNS: Powell 339 Mattingly 222 --- RBI's: Powell 1,187 Mattingly 1,099 So, if Mattingly was to go in "Boog" should also.
    Last edited by OriolesFan; 12-05-2022 at 09:29 PM. Reason: adding "NOTE..."

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force

Mattingly hasn't made it to the HOF because he doesn't have the stats. His "stats' are okay, but not good enough to get him in the HOF. Here are his main "stats": .307 batting avg. (his best "stat" for him), 2,153 hits (way too low amount), 222 home runs (a good amount of MLB players have had more and not in the HOF), and 1,099 RBI's (good, but not exclusive). A "GOOD" player, but not a "HOFer".

NOTE: If Don Mattingly was to be inducted into the HOF then John Wesley "Boog" Powell should also be put in. He "splits" some numbers with Mattingly ---- BA:Mattingly .307 Powell .266 --- HITS: Mattingly 2,153 Powell 1,776 --- HOME RUNS: Powell 339 Mattingly 222 --- RBI's: Powell 1,187 Mattingly 1,099 So, if Mattingly was to go in "Boog" should also.

Loved Boog and he loved playing my Yanks! As long as Bonds, Clemens and others don't get in, I am okay!

Bake

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See zaccheus85's Items on eBay

McGriff was my favorite player when I was a kid: not only did he play for a couple of those great Atlanta Braves teams, but I also enjoyed watching him on the Devil Rays (being Rockies fan there is always a fond place in my heart for smaller market teams and underdogs).

In the end though didn’t we all love watching that helicopter follow-thru?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees

Re: mattingly I recently read this “Over his career your average Hall of Fame batter collected 2,411 hits, 1,676 of those hits were singles, 412 were doubles, 111 were triples, and 211 were home runs. That's 3,678 total bases. Your average Hall of Famer has 1,329 runs scored, and 1,218 RBI.”

avg hof. 2411 hits, mattingly 2153 hits
    avg hof. 211 home runs, mattingly 222 hr
    avg hof. 412 doubles, mattingly 442 doubles
    avg hof 3678 total bases, mattingly 3301 total bases
    avg hof 1218 rbi, mattingly 1099 rbi

he also did all of this in only 14 seasons, in which he won 9 gold gloves.

Mattingly doesn’t get enough credit. He has a higher career WAR than Harold Baines who played 22 seasons!
    And bill mazeroski who only has 8 gold gloves in 17 seasons.
    Yankees + Todd Greene collector. There are tens of thousands of Yankees I need. My grail card is a 2005 Topps Pristine Fielder's Choice Glove Relics #TG Todd Greene.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees

Mattingly also had more career doubles than Fred McGriff despite playing 695 less games than McGriff.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force

Thanks, Todd, for the update and I still say why he is isn't the Hall?

Bake

SCF Rewards
    Country

Still don't get how this guy is a HOF player. Would anybody honestly take him on your team over Mattingly, McGwire, Garvey, or Keith Hernandez? Not saying those guys should be in the HOF but a bit weird for him to be a unanimous selection after not coming close to it with the baseball writers for so long.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast