Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Judge to Giants

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

Meal money on the road $117 per day,if meals are not provided, $34 a day if meals provided.

It seems that there is money to go around, sponsors and media pay it out, fans . Owners doing quite well. I guess the players would like some of that pie.

What would it take to buy the yanks, red sox, and there would be a line of potentials going out the door.

SCF Rewards
    Country

What would it take to buy the yanks, red sox, and there would be a line of potentials going out the door.

Oddly enough there is rumors swirling around that the owners of the Red Sox want to sell the team. That's why they have been so stingy with their payroll lately. Don't know if that is true or just Red Sox fan cope.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees

Yeah, this is an important discussion but also very very very complicated. Of course teachers, first responders, and such should make more money — WAY more money. The thing is their industry doesn't generate billions of dollars every year so it's up to major shifts in local & federal politics as well as how all businesses work in a capitalist society...

Politics: cities/states/federal gov't would need to tax players and sports club owners ridiculously in order to pay teachers and first responders more. States like Texas and Florida would then become the epicenter of sports because they make political choices that favor business, even over public services sometimes. So wanting teachers, first responders, etc to make more $ would require demanding that mayors and governors find that money, not sports teams make less money. Of course local gov't can find more money by taxing sports clubs and athletes...or taxing someone else. The money has to come from somewhere, ultimately from us whether it's voluntary or mandatory.

Business changes: If fans paid WAY less for tickets, merchandise, cards...and the sport became purely entertainment (and not obsession) for most, there would be way less businesspeople interested in owning a ball club or taking risks on paying top talent. In return, there would be less interest in athletics as a career so many of the great athletes would never even play. So yes there would be less money in sports, but these businesspeople would then seek out other opportunities to make that money. It wouldn't just magically appear in the teacher's fund because it wasn't going into Aaron Judge's pocket. Again, the way all businesses contribute to society would have to change.

Now, I'm not suggesting one political view over another. I'm simply saying that where money can be made, those who are driving the industry deserve to make the most. In fact, players making so much money is a great model for how to pay teachers, first responders, etc. They are the all-stars of public services so they should make as much as they can. The only issue is, without taxes, schools would have to then be monetized and privatized. Just like with sports, this would limit who can afford to participate — fans and/or students. People get left out. As a result, ironically, the purpose of paying teachers and first responders higher salaries becomes less valuable because not all are served equally.

Like I said, very complicated. Probably no right answer. But I don't fault players for making as much as they can. We're all paying into the machine. The money exists within the sport's ecosystem, it doesn't in public services.
    Last edited by toddgreen; 12-12-2022 at 10:29 AM.
    Yankees + Todd Greene collector. There are tens of thousands of Yankees I need. My grail card is a 2005 Topps Pristine Fielder's Choice Glove Relics #TG Todd Greene.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12