Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OPG Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays
    Twitter: @Attackfan74

Feelgood story about a couple cool dudes

Back ground, my 11 year old son loves hockey more then anything in the world, has since a very young age. Roger is a bigger kid for his age, and unfortunately this year more so then others has run in to some bullying both in the dressing room and at school. At one point this season Roger asked if he could quit hockey. On two occasions he has come home from the rink in tears. I have worked together with both his coach and the head of the local minor hockey and things have since gotten better, but there is still things to be done.

Roger is a HUGE fan or our local team, the Owen Sound Attack. One of his favorite players of all time is Joey Hishon. I decided This past weekend was Hockey Day in Canada in our great little city, and Joey was gonna be here for the alumni game. I decided to see if I could set something up where Roger could meet one of his heroes of the game and maybe Joey could give him some words of encouragement. I reached out to Joey's dad Joe, who had been a scout here for years. After a half hour conversation, he assured me he would set something in motion.

Fast forward to this past Friday and Joe and myself has arranged for Roger to meet Joey before the alumni game. Roger new nothing about this. When the time came, Joey came out of the dressing room with fellow attack alumni Andrew Shaw. These two amazing men took about 15 minutes of their time to talk to Roger one on one and address the issues of bullying and what Roger should do in those situations. They both signed everything Roger had for them (and a couple for Dad :) ) and wished him the best of luck.

The next morning, we went to the stanley cup parade being held in town. Shaw was there to carry the cup while on top of a fire truck. When Andrew saw Roger he came right over and said hi to Roger and asked him how he was doing. He then went and got the cup from Phil Pritchard.......and brought it right over to Roger to see up close. He found his own name on the cup and showed Roger.

I cant heap enough praise on these two amazing players ( as well as Mr. Hishon) for the time they took to make my son refind his love for the game.......great ambassadors for the support and now my son has two favorite former attack players.

Bobby Ryan NON 1/1 PC 1280/1339 95.6%
    Aidan Dudas NON 1/1 PC 47/47 100%!!!!!
    Nick Suzuki PC 152 cards
    Wayne Gretzky PC 1593 cards
    Wade Boggs PC 359 cards
    Tony Gwynn PC 187 cards
    Derek Jeter PC 90 cards

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Now that is awesome! Great story, thanks for sharing. It's always so cool to see the players take that extra step that will totally make a kid's day...and hopefully it will inspire Roger to keep playing.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Wow, what a really amazing story. You and your son with remember this for the rest of your life. What a class act from those guys!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks for sharing and as always athletes who take time out of their busy schedule never get enough praise for when they do something nice like this. Thank you again for sharing and hopefully, it has a major impact for your son on the bullying issue.

DON