Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scam alert

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ari4l2010's Items on eBay

But is it beckett's fault? Maybe its the dealers fault for selling you a fake card. Or maybe it's the card grading company's fault for slabbing a fake card?

Would be interesting to see how this would play out in court.

Interesting take. I see it as Beckett at fault since they verified it authentic only to renege on its authenticity once they realized they made a mistake.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees New York Giants New York Rangers

My personal opinion is that Beckett has gone downhill ever since Dr. Beckett sold the company. I don't even believe the new owners/management are hobbyists. I don't think Dr. Beckett did the collecting community any favors with this sale. I had an 81Joe Montana RC BCCG 10 I bought on SCF. I later traded in to someone else on SCF, with the understanding that he was going to have it converted to BGS, and the cards I would ultimately receive would depend on the grade they gave the card. On the BCCG 10 holder the card is listed as being equivalent to "Mint or Better". The card came back to him as a BGS 8.5. Beckett obviously doesn't stand behind their own opinions.
    Always Looking for:

A) Graded Vintage (Pre-1980) (BGS, BVG, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    B) Graded True RC's (No inserts or parallels) (BGS, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    C) Certified Auto and GU cards of players from the 70's and further back in all sports

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

Slippery slope here. Scam? Not so sure. Incompetence on Beckett's end? Yes.

Edging towards the scam end of the spectrum, but scam would also mean intent. So unless the seller/dealer knew he may be dealing with fakes there is no intent.

Beckett going downhill is another story. I was there at the Expo when the first Raw Grade McDavid 10 hit the market, there was quite a buzz about the owner of the card, and thus being the first 10 grade YG of McDavid to hit the market was an employee of Beckett and was actually grading the cards. IS this true? Yeah probably, to some extent. I do not know the whole story but you could easily see how integrity has gone out the window. Greed forces someone to procure a graded 10 to be the first on the market and thus likely being biased to push true 9.5's or 10's to either 9.0's or 9.5's to not over-saturate the market so quickly.

Also, the pandemic set a ton of precedents. These were not normal years. Many entities have been forced to adapt or simply close up shop and die off. Beckett should not be be exempt. Beckett should have accepted the card, since they graded it, regardless of if they were packing up or not. Beckett should take responsibility of their actions and cover for one (or more) of their employees being incompetent and putting their company's integrity on the line.

The pandemic screwed up a lot of things, but not that much time has elapsed for business to totally forget what business etiquette is. If my banker told me 'Don't worry, you have $3,000 here waiting for you when you need it." and then 2-3 years later I try to take it out and the banker says "Oh yeah, that $3,000 I told you about earlier turned out to be $0. Sorry. NEXT!" I would be quite livid. Perhaps postal.
    Master List: Hidden Content

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I mean you pay Beckett for a service to tell you if something is real (RIGHT OR WRONG)? If you pay someone for a service they should deliver a knowledgable answer. Them saying there has been too much time is only a excuse because they did say something was authentic and it was not. So, they did not deliver on their service and they pride themselves on being the best in the business but they did not even come close if this card was a reprint. If, your not getting anywhere please take time to try to contact them to resolve this and see what they can do. Also, you say you bought from a booth you should be able to look up via the directory of who was selling this card.

1) They should not let the seller sell there anymore if he does not make this right as he supposedly gave you his word (that is what you are saying) but it not always cut and dry as he has his side of the story which we have not heard
    2) If you try to contact the head of Beckett and get nowhere please send me the card you bought and the reprint they slabbed we can share it.
    3) It is a sad day when you go to a expert in authentication and they basically make a mistake and say to much time has expired does not address the issue of them making this right and putting safeguards to keep this from happening again.

my inbox is open if you do not get anywhere happy to share this so others do not get scammed in the future. Now, I know why I never buy high end stuff as I am no expert and a I do not trust the experts to be as knowledgable as they say. The industry has seen too many folks screw up.

@ari4l2010.
    Last edited by doniceage; 02-26-2023 at 11:48 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

My personal opinion is that Beckett has gone downhill ever since Dr. Beckett sold the company. I don't even believe the new owners/management are hobbyists. I don't think Dr. Beckett did the collecting community any favors with this sale. I had an 81Joe Montana RC BCCG 10 I bought on SCF. I later traded in to someone else on SCF, with the understanding that he was going to have it converted to BGS, and the cards I would ultimately receive would depend on the grade they gave the card. On the BCCG 10 holder the card is listed as being equivalent to "Mint or Better". The card came back to him as a BGS 8.5. Beckett obviously doesn't stand behind their own opinions.

@JFried1029

Have you looked at the grading scale. A 8 can be mint so a 8.5 is definitely mint. LMK, if I am looking at the wrong grading scale. So it, was Mint so what is the issue???

Attachment 200711

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Slippery slope here. Scam? Not so sure. Incompetence on Beckett's end? Yes.

Edging towards the scam end of the spectrum, but scam would also mean intent. So unless the seller/dealer knew he may be dealing with fakes there is no intent.

Beckett going downhill is another story. I was there at the Expo when the first Raw Grade McDavid 10 hit the market, there was quite a buzz about the owner of the card, and thus being the first 10 grade YG of McDavid to hit the market was an employee of Beckett and was actually grading the cards. IS this true? Yeah probably, to some extent. I do not know the whole story but you could easily see how integrity has gone out the window. Greed forces someone to procure a graded 10 to be the first on the market and thus likely being biased to push true 9.5's or 10's to either 9.0's or 9.5's to not over-saturate the market so quickly.

Also, the pandemic set a ton of precedents. These were not normal years. Many entities have been forced to adapt or simply close up shop and die off. Beckett should not be be exempt. Beckett should have accepted the card, since they graded it, regardless of if they were packing up or not. Beckett should take responsibility of their actions and cover for one (or more) of their employees being incompetent and putting their company's integrity on the line.

The pandemic screwed up a lot of things, but not that much time has elapsed for business to totally forget what business etiquette is. If my banker told me 'Don't worry, you have $3,000 here waiting for you when you need it." and then 2-3 years later I try to take it out and the banker says "Oh yeah, that $3,000 I told you about earlier turned out to be $0. Sorry. NEXT!" I would be quite livid. Perhaps postal.

I agree with you it should not be called a scam. I just know with the number of things we seen over the years that have been labeled as authentic could we not say there definitely needs to be some better regulations to make sure folks do not get SCREWED when they trust a source and pay them a nice dollar amount to be told it Legit. They should stand by behind their reputation they crow about all the time and back it up with some type of protection as least for when they screw up. I wonder if they offer SCREW UP insurance for if they make a mistake. Just asking as I never had anything ever authenticated. I truly believe just like in all entities as the end of the day they company only care about making money. As we all heard the story about folks who grade heavily with them get preferential treatment in grading results etc. It the world we live in but the little guys like us truly can change the hobby if we all stopped using Beckett and did not collect graded stuff. I know I flip a lot of cards that get bought to be graded and it will not end. I was just at a show and I seen cards graded Gem Mint 10 or PSA 10's and they were being sold for like 3 to 5 bucks (only a few) but why grade cards like that if your going to flip them?

DON

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (75) Hobby Insider
    Country

BCCG is baby Beckett, if the card graded a 10, we said it was a 9 or an 8.5.

Dispute Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JSOKOL1626's Items on eBay

The thing to remember is that grading is not a science, it's purely an opinion subject to the discretion of a human being and the attention to precise detail he/her is willing to expend. Humans are not without flaws, we have good, bad and indifferent days subject to a very wide variety of factors and that applies to people who spend each and every day evaluating cards.
    Within the past year I submitted two Gretzky RC's and a Montana RC to the same reputable company. The Topps Gretzky was noticeably better than the OPC however they both rec'd exactly the same grade. The Montana was was returned to me ungraded and unslabbed with a note saying it was "off cut, possibly trimmed", it wasn't authenticated as genuine or slabbed and it matches perfectly with the standard cards from the set. According to the grader's policy the Montana should have been been slabbed and given an "authentic" rating, niether happened.

Was I scammed, probably not. Aggravated and more than annoyed after waiting many months is more on point.
    I trade by BV so please don't reference EBAY.

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ari4l2010's Items on eBay

I mean you pay Beckett for a service to tell you if something is real (RIGHT OR WRONG)? If you pay someone for a service they should deliver a knowledgable answer. Them saying there has been too much time is only a excuse because they did say something was authentic and it was not. So, they did not deliver on their service and they pride themselves on being the best in the business but they did not even come close if this card was a reprint. If, your not getting anywhere please take time to try to contact them to resolve this and see what they can do. Also, you say you bought from a booth you should be able to look up via the directory of who was selling this card.

1) They should not let the seller sell there anymore if he does not make this right as he supposedly gave you his word (that is what you are saying) but it not always cut and dry as he has his side of the story which we have not heard
    2) If you try to contact the head of Beckett and get nowhere please send me the card you bought and the reprint they slabbed we can share it.
    3) It is a sad day when you go to a expert in authentication and they basically make a mistake and say to much time has expired does not address the issue of them making this right and putting safeguards to keep this from happening again.

my inbox is open if you do not get anywhere happy to share this so others do not get scammed in the future. Now, I know why I never buy high end stuff as I am no expert and a I do not trust the experts to be as knowledgable as they say. The industry has seen too many folks screw up.

@ari4l2010.

DM sent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12