Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Ovechkin Cup RPA auction

Noticed this auction today, perhaps Ovy's biggest card, only PSA 10 Cup RPA:

https://goldin.co/item/2005-06-upper...QkysyiYaXiJ3vI

Could it hit 1 million?
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

Dispute Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JSOKOL1626's Items on eBay

Noticed this auction today, perhaps Ovy's biggest card, only PSA 10 Cup RPA:

https://goldin.co/item/2005-06-upper...QkysyiYaXiJ3vI

Could it hit 1 million?

I'd be surprised if it went for that much, but it's possible.
    I trade by BV so please don't reference EBAY.

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I'm going to guess $375,000 as an estimate. It's arguably one of, if not his most expensive RCs. I'm also basing this on a couple of auctions ...

A current eBay auction lists a BGS 9 Ovechkin (with a beauty patch) that can be had for a BIN of $108,888.88 US of Best Offer.

A previous Goldin auction (October 23-24, 2022) listed a BGS 9 Ovechkin (again with a nice patch) that eventually sold for $105,780.00.

I recognize that a PSA 10 holds more value than a BGS 9, but I'm not sure that it's going to end at a million or anywhere close.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

A BGS 10 can go for an exponential amount more than a BGS 9. Also also having a pop report of 1 out of a possible 99 it should go for even more.

I think it will hit 500k and upwards of an obscene number like $711,111
    Master List: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think the Gretzky opc rc that sold for a huge amount (3.75 million) was one of only 2 PSA 10's so rarity by grade appears to play a huge factor.
    Imagine paying 500k- 1 million and it could look like a great investment is 2 years? Or not...all depends on scoring 73 more goals.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

A BGS 10 can go for an exponential amount more than a BGS 9. Also also having a pop report of 1 out of a possible 99 it should go for even more.

I think it will hit 500k and upwards of an obscene number like $711,111

Agreed, but this is a PSA 10 - Gem Mint which equates to a BGS 9.5, also considered Gem Mint.

PSA does not have an equivalent to BGS 10 - Pristine.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Auction ended at $182,400.00

Apparently this card, 55/99 used to be a BGS 9 that was regraded and got a PSA 10. I have always thought the PSA 10 grade was over valued. A BGS 9.5 without any 9 subs holds to a higher standard than a PSA 10 in my mind.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well it went far less than what I thought it would. Thinking out loud here, but I wonder if the war in Ukraine has impacted the collectibility of famous Russian athletes/celebrities, etc.

Dispute Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JSOKOL1626's Items on eBay

Well it went far less than what I thought it would. Thinking out loud here, but I wonder if the war in Ukraine has impacted the collectibility of famous Russian athletes/celebrities, etc.

Ovie is undeniably one of the greatest hockey players of all time, but his character is surely compromised. Let's be honest here, Ovechkin lacks the charisma and charm of Wayne Gretzky, probably the most popular player in NHL history, whose records he is chasing. Additionally, he continues to show support for Putin despite playing for a team representing our nation's capital. It gives me pause to wonder why he chooses to reside and play in the US, but the answer is obvious, life here has been very good to him.

So, no, I'm not really surprised his rarest and most desirable card didn't come anywhere close to a Gretzky rookie w/ the same grade.
    Last edited by jsokol1626; 06-26-2023 at 08:40 PM.