Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Packers claim Eric Crouch off waivers!

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/GB/6332907

GREEN BAY, Wis. (April 23, 2003) -- The Green Bay Packers claimed Eric Crouch off waivers from the St. Louis Rams, and said they will give him a shot at quarterback.

Crouch won the 2001 Heisman Trophy as a quarterback at Nebraska, but sat out last season after the Rams drafted him in the third round and tried to convert him into a wide receiver.

Crouch forfeited his signing bonus after training camp last year, saying he'd rather retire if he couldn't be a quarterback in the NFL.

He remains on the reserve/retired list.

Crouch is one of three players in NCAA Division 1 history to rush for more than 3,000 yards and throw for more than 4,000 yards in his career.

If he makes the roster, Crouch would be the sixth Heisman Trophy winner to play for the Packers, joining Bruce Smith (1941), Paul Hornung (1956), Ty Detmer (1990), Desmond Howard (1991) and Danny Wuerffel (1996).

Crouch may or may not have a future in the NFL as a WR, but his QB days are history.

Look, this dude couldn't and/or didn't pass the ball, despite Nebraska being down 20+ points to Miami in the Championship game.

Everyone knew Nebraska needed to pass the ball in order to win. And he still didn't pass it.

I cannot believe he won the Heisman over Dorsey that year.

Well I don't think he will do anything.

But does everyone remember who the Packers had in camp during the 1993 season.

They had Favre, Brunell, Detmer, and Warner.

Looks like they are really reaching for a backup to Favre now.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Crouch is a has been. He's a great player, but not ready for the NFL and I don't think he should have won the Heisman. Crouch will be a bench warmer at best, and his days in football are numbered.

Tim

Tim, agreed!!

What boggles my mind is this: how can a school so incredibly good (Nebraska) produce QBs that aren't even good enough to be 2nd-string QBs?

During Crouch's 4 years at Neb, he didn't improve one single bit as a QB.

How could a college program do that to their athletes? Don't they have an obligation to produce guys who have a chance to compete for NFL.

It's one thing for a college like Univ. of Hawaii to solely run a passing attack with no running back....but at Nebraska, QBs, WRs, and pass-catching tight ends are useless. Just terrible.

As a QB, WR, who the hell wants to there to play if you've got aspirations for the NFL

Crouch has been on waivers forever so it's really no big deal that someone picked him up to give him a shot. I knew someone that was in St Louis camp and he was pissed because the Rams were so much on this guys balls. The guy I know ended up getting cut over Crouch and then Crouch said he didn't want to play anymore. At least the dude I know has been invited to Carolina's training camp so hopefully he'll make the team there!

Originally posted by podstock
    Tim, agreed!!

What boggles my mind is this: how can a school so incredibly good (Nebraska) produce QBs that aren't even good enough to be 2nd-string QBs?

During Crouch's 4 years at Neb, he didn't improve one single bit as a QB.

How could a college program do that to their athletes? Don't they have an obligation to produce guys who have a chance to compete for NFL.

It's one thing for a college like Univ. of Hawaii to solely run a passing attack with no running back....but at Nebraska, QBs, WRs, and pass-catching tight ends are useless. Just terrible.

As a QB, WR, who the hell wants to there to play if you've got aspirations for the NFL
    I couldn't agree more, either. Crouch was a decent QB, and I'd hesitate to call him "good"! It's one thing for a smaller college or a program like the Air Force academy that never passes, but Nebraska has been known to produce so many Eric Crouchs. It's sad.

Iggy, what's the guy's name?

Tim

Eugene Baker... in limited action with ATL (where he got drafted) he did pretty well.

Originally posted by podstock
    Crouch may or may not have a future in the NFL as a WR, but his QB days are history.

Look, this dude couldn't and/or didn't pass the ball, despite Nebraska being down 20+ points to Miami in the Championship game.

Everyone knew Nebraska needed to pass the ball in order to win. And he still didn't pass it.

I cannot believe he won the Heisman over Dorsey that year.
    I disagree with your opinion, granted I am a Husker fan but I do call out the bull™™™™ that die hard fans whine about...Passing has been the biggest controversy with Husker Football since as far back as I can remember, but according to the coaches the rushing philosophy works for them, had we been beating Miami no one would of said a word about passing...Do I agree that we should only have a one sided rushing offense, no...But I don't know that we nescessarily needed to pass the ball either, some offenses can, our offense has a much better chance of breaking a big run than we do at throwing the long ball...And for your final point about Dorsey, Crouch IMO is by far, a much better all around college athlete than Dorsey, he isn't pro material at QB in my opinion, but then the Heisman is given to the best college athlete not the best pro prospect........

Originally posted by stkmtimo
    I couldn't agree more, either. Crouch was a decent QB, and I'd hesitate to call him "good"! It's one thing for a smaller college or a program like the Air Force academy that never passes, but Nebraska has been known to produce so many Eric Crouchs. It's sad.

Iggy, what's the guy's name?

Tim
    Tim the program here in Lincoln has been that way for years, and the reason the program has produced so many Eric Crouch's is because that is what the offense calls for and it has worked for 40+ years...QB's know what there getting into when they come to Lincoln, it's no real secret!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast