Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ebay Bidding questions??? I don't get it!?!?!

Why is it that you will see an auction with say 5 days left and the bids are already 10 people and highest bidder $105.56? What's the point of bidding with so much time on an auction .... is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks,
    J.

i know, i see that too. do you really think youll be able to win it with that much time left??? your just raising your own price IMO

Because lets say you bid on an item that has 5days left and you are the 1st bidder you can pretty much set the price, say the starting bid is $.99 and the card has a $100bv. So you really want the card so you place a bid of $45, well now if someone wants it more then you then they have to bid more then $45. I hope you are getting what Im saying, most people bid on items 1st so they have a better chance of winning the bid. Hope this helps Sean

Broncosfan, I think you're giving EBAY bidders too much credit. Most of the people that bid so much so early don't know what they're doing. I have people like that in my roto auction drafts. They never win those either, of course:-)

Smeag

sounds logical Bronco's fan but .....

Let's say that person doesn't bid there $45, the auction comes close to the end and the highest bid at the time is $28 if they snipe it with their initial $45 bid they are more likely to pay less than if they had bid first.

I just don't understand why you would run the price up on an auction with 5 or 6 days left? Doesn't make any sense to me! Obviously if you've placed your highest bid of $100 and someone wants it more than you their going to outbid you regardless. If you were to wait who knows what the highest bid would be near auction end?

Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol
    Broncosfan, I think you're giving EBAY bidders too much credit. Most of the people that bid so much so early don't know what they're doing. I have people like that in my roto auction drafts. They never win those either, of course:-)

Smeag
    No, I have sold lots of stuff on ebay where someone has palced a bid and that bidder has ended up winning the auction because they basically set the bidding which made the other bidders place a higher bid to try and win. So no Im not giving ebayers to much credit, I just know how it goes after doing it for so long.

No offense to anyone on this site, just a general statement...but perhaps not all of us have time to be sitting on the internet all day.

Huh? asujbl ..... you don't have to sit on the interenet all day to know when an auction is ending. You take note of the time and come back 5 minutes prior. I honestly don't see the point you were trying to make?

I am at work when 90% of auctions I bid on end...or out of town on weekends. I probably am actually at a computer when 20% of what I bid on actually ends. My office doesn't really like me checking eBay

some travel for a living unlike many here. Maybe they saw this auction on a weekend and knew they weren`t going to be around for the end of it so they just bid their highest and it worked it`s way up. Maybe someone else had already bid on it and they just happened to bid more and thats where it went. Could also be a scam with a few buddies working it(shill bidding).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast