Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kobe suspended for tonight's (1/30) game vs. Knicks

Just settling in to watch the Lakers play the Knicks and its announced that Kobe has been suspended for one game (tonight's game). However, Kobe is appealing the suspension so I think he will play tonight. I'm sure this would affect those betting on this game.

Andy

Update: Kobe's appeal has already been rejected and he will definitely will not be playing tonight.
    Last edited by SingleDaddyof2; 01-30-2007 at 08:26 PM.

2. Check out the deals at Allgood Collectibles eBay Store

good he deserves to be suspended hes a punk!

NEW YORK (AP) -- Kobe Bryant was suspended one game without pay by the NBA on Tuesday for striking San Antonio's Manu Ginobili in the face.

With his Los Angeles Lakers in New York to play the Knicks, Bryant requested an "immediate hearing" with the league office to appeal the suspension. But his request was denied because it would have deviated from standard procedure, and Bryant was still slated to miss the game Tuesday night.

"This is not the process that we use at the NBA. Certainly, in theory, given the fact that the Lakers were in New York, we could have heard an appeal. But again, we never have, as it's not part of our process," said Stu Jackson, the league's chief disciplinarian for on-court actions. "He does have the right to an appeal at a later date. If he were to win that appeal, he would get his money back."

Bryant's absence left the Lakers without their leading scorer when they opened an eight-game road trip.

"I've been waiting to play here. It's always been a fun place for me to play here, and I'm surprised. Shocked, by it, actually," Bryant said after the morning shootaround. "I unintentionally caught Manu Ginobili. What do you say? It's a basketball game. You unintentionally catch people with elbows every once in a while."

Players association spokesman Dan Wasserman said a letter was sent on Bryant's behalf to the league office requesting the hearing, and that Bryant volunteered to review the videotape and talk to commissioner David Stern or the "appropriate league official."

"I'm blown away by it. I really am," Bryant said. "It just makes no sense."

The play occurred with 2.7 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter of the Lakers' 96-94 overtime loss to the Spurs on Sunday.

"It's just unintentional," Bryant added. "I felt horrible about it. It's just basketball, it happens."

Jackson disagreed, and offered the NBA's explanation on a conference call.

"Some of the determining factors were the fact that there was contact made with Ginobili above the shoulders and the fact that this particular action by Kobe was an unnatural basketball motion. Following a shot, he drove a stiff arm in a backward motion and struck Ginobili in the head," Jackson said. "We did not view this as an inadvertent action."

Sure some people are surprised by it, but I feel like it is just. I mean, even if it was unintentional to hurt him, you can't be swinging your arm at someone to "make a play" and expect that because you didn't mean to hurt him you won't be punished. To me, it looked like it could've been either way. Not sure if he tried or not. But if a guy drives into the lane and you go to block his shot and foul him, but you didn't mean to foul him, do you think you could tell the ref you didn't mean to foul him and get out of it? No.

I don't think that warranted a suspension. However, that should have been an offensive foul. Sure, I'm a Spurs fan and might be biased in my opinion but that was close to a flagarant. I believe there was still time left on the clock to call a foul. If that had been in the second quarter a foul probalby would have been called. But hey, isn't that the NBA? Doesn't matter Spurs still won. :)

I dont know i've played basketball my whole life and in some very competitive situations, and i have never seen someones arm go out in a manner such as that after a shot.

Well, I'm a huge, life-long Lakers fan and I think all of you guys have a point (although I don't think Kobe is a 'punk'--I've seen him give lots of autographs including one to my father, so I think he's pretty cool). I saw the play as it happened and after looking at the replays, that arm motion did look unnatural. Kobe's face looked like he was focused on the flight of the ball and not on harming anyone. But I know if Kobe or another Laker had been on the receiving end of that arm swing, the Lakers and Laker fans (including me) would be upset about that.

So I think the league actually sent out a good message--let's not hurt other players. If the league had done nothing about, its conceivable that a Spurs player may take it upon himself in the near future to give Kobe some "payback" and put Kobe out of action for more than just one game. That would not be good for Kobe, the Lakers and the league ($$).

Andy

Suspended again. Nice Kobe, nice...

Again people are surprised. Again I ask why? If a player gives a foul and didn't do it intentionally you wouldn't be surprised, and flailing those arms around like that could really hurt someone and he has to stop. Maybe he'll learn to stop taking swings in close games if he keeps getting suspended.

No I don't think it was intentional but most fouls aren't, this one just happens to be one that is very very easily avoidable and very very dangerous. He could connect with his elbow to someones nose and spew blood everywhere...

My 2 cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast