Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thumbs down MONK gets the shaft again!!

im very disappointed and pissed that art got rejected from HOF voting again.....hell, he didn't even make the cut down to 6!!! look, his numbers aren't overwhelming....he was a posession receiver (they had 2 other deep threats in ricky sanders and gary clark)....when he retired he was NUMBER 1 all time in receptions!! oh, and he is also a 2 time super bowl champ!! give me a break!! total BS!!

art monk

6 all time in receptions
    11 all time in yards

michael irvin

20 all time in receptions
    14 all time in yards

and monk didn't have a HOF quarterback throwing him the ball for his ENTIRE career!! so, how does irvin deserve it more then monk??

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants Oklahoma City Thunder Los Angeles Dodgers
    See 22chrisbrown29's Items on eBay

I don't understand it either.

My guess is because we are now in the era of the "selfish all about me watch me make an idiot of myself jailbird I will play when I feel like it players" no one seems to be able to recall the true class acts of the game.

Don't get me wrong, there are ...and will continue to be very deserving individuals from the present and future who will get in, but I am certain there will also be those classy players with the numbers who get snubbed while the showboats with the just above average numbers sail right in.

I miss football of the 70's. I would have LOVED to watch Jack Tatum vs TO!

Peace~
    Rima

SCF Rewards
    Country

dont get me wrong, im probably the ONLY skins fan that's a HUGE michael irvin fan....i love mike!! aside from my skins wide outs, he is probably my 2nd favorite receiver ever.....i think mike is well deserving....but to have irvin get in OVER monk is wrong....art didn't even make the cut down to 6!! i think the electors botched this one big time!! matthews, sure....thurman, maybe (but not over monk)....how does Paul Tagliabue not get in?? shoot, this guy did more for the NFL than i care to list.....heck, id still like to see derrick thomas get in!!

Country
    See floyd8517's Items on eBay

Rima I agree with everything about what you said but people are probably thinking that it isnt the personality hall of fame just the pro football hall of fame.....Either way monk should be in.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Michael Irvin was the spiritual and vocal leader of the Dallas Cowboys during their glory days. Three Super Bowl wins. Cowboys were the team of the decade. He WAS the go to receiver on the team. Monk had two deep threats. Irvin had one in Alvin Harper. Opposing defenses knew who to guard and they still couldn't get it done. Oh and the Cowboys ran the ball with that Emmitt guy...A LOT. I very much think that Irvin deserves to be in more than Monk. I also agree that Monk should be in the HOF....he should have been in many years ago. Also, how does Derrick Thomas not get in? 9 time Pro Bowler! Even Paul Tagliabue didn't get in this year.

Here are the stats. I think its important to note Irvin played 12 seasons and Monk played for 16. Irvin was the receiving leader for 8 of his 12 seasons. As some of you remember, his 12th season was cut short due to a neck injury.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/MonkAr00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/IrviMi00.htm

SCF Rewards
    Country

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeLonghorn
    Michael Irvin was the spiritual and vocal leader of the Dallas Cowboys during their glory days. Three Super Bowl wins. Cowboys were the team of the decade. He WAS the go to receiver on the team. Monk had two deep threats. Irvin had one in Alvin Harper. Opposing defenses knew who to guard and they still couldn't get it done. Oh and the Cowboys ran the ball with that Emmitt guy...A LOT. I very much think that Irvin deserves to be in more than Monk. I also agree that Monk should be in the HOF....he should have been in many years ago. Also, how does Derrick Thomas not get in? 9 time Pro Bowler! Even Paul Tagliabue didn't get in this year.

Here are the stats. I think its important to note Irvin played 12 seasons and Monk played for 16. Irvin was the receiving leader for 8 of his 12 seasons. As some of you remember, his 12th season was cut short due to a neck injury.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/MonkAr00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/IrviMi00.htm

so being a vocal leader adds to your hof credentials?? come on!! i will argue day and night that monk deserves it more then irvin, and as i said, i love mike!! first of all, monk won 2 super bowls, so not much difference there. monk was ALSO the go-to receiver on his team (the numbers speak for themselves vs his teammates)...also, i dont care how long each played, shouldn't matter at all.....and if you look at stats alone, monk beats irvin in every major catagory (receptions, yards, tds)....again, irvin had a hof qb throwing him the ball, monk NEVER did....you wanna say that the boys ran the ball??? shoot, that is ALL the skins did!! the skins were probably more of a running team than the cowboys!! obviously you are a cowboys fan, so this is a worthless arguement, but just thought i should respond to some of your statements that were a little "bias"....not saying that irvin doesn't deserve it, but the consensus is that if one of them was going in, it should have been monk over irvin.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Michael Irvin was the leader of the team. He inspired his teammates to win. THAT MEANS A LOT.

I didn't turn this into an argument. I don't know where you came up with that. I merely gave my side of the opinion and you attack me with words like "arguement", "bias", and "cowboys fan". I can't defend Irvin, can I? I was discussing why I think Irvin deserved to be in the HOF more then Monk.

You know, I could be rude and attack your opinion. I didn't do such a thing. I defended Irvin. I have the right to do that. Did I attack you for being a Redskins fan? Did I say you were "bias" in your Monk opinion? No, I did not.

I did say Monk deserved to be in the HOF many years ago. You obviously didn't bother to quote me there.

SCF Rewards
    Country

As far as stats go, yeah your right. Monk has better stats. He played in 65 more games then Irvin. Four seasons worth. That does show the great longevity he had.

Irvin was the possession reciever and many times the deep threat.

SCF Rewards
    Country

both guys deserve to be there. If the cowboys didnt have a guy named emmitt who knows the numbers irvin would have had good or bad but the cowboys offense was about running.

monk totally deserves to be there. i believe he had a few records unitll the mid to late 90's when rice started taking them all.

you shouldnt be even having this arguement over these two guys. dont blame the voters for putting irvin in blame them for the many years of great stupidity by not putting monk in.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Postseason stats. Where the big games are won.

Irvin-87 receptions, 1314 yards, 8 TD (16 games)

Monk-69 receptions, 1062 yards, 7 TD (15 games)

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast