Exclamation Brad Banks, Heisman runner-up gets signed!

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/6342255

ASHBURN, Va. (April 28, 2003) -- Iowa quarterback Brad Banks, the national player of the year and Heisman Trophy runner-up, was one of 12 undrafted free agents signed by the Washington Redskins.

Banks passed for 25 touchdowns, rushed for five, threw just four interceptions and led the nation with a 166.0 rating in the regular season last year for the Hawkeyes. He led Iowa to an 11-1 record before a 38-17 loss to Southern California in the Orange Bowl.

Despite the numbers, Banks wasn't considered a top NFL prospect, mainly because he's just 5-foot-11. Coach Steve Spurrier said he envisions Banks running a lot of shotgun and bootleg in training camp and exhibition games.

"He's obviously a player you move around a bit," Spurrier said. "We thought Brad would give us a change of pace."

Banks will compete against seventh-round draft pick Gibran Hamdan of Indiana for the third-string quarterback job behind Patrick Ramsey and Rob Johnson.

I wasn't at all surprised Banks didn't get drafted. All of his life, Doug Flutie's never gotten the benefit of the doubt, mainly b/c of his size.

If Flutie had Ryan Leaf's physical attributes, he'd be vying for the Hall of Fame.

I think Washington did a great job with that signing.

The only thing they lose, at worse, is the money used to sign him

Banks was just like Ken Dorsey (Dorsey is a better QB, IMO). I also saw that Jason Gesser of Washington State was signed by the Titans. He was a great QB there. Like pod said, not surprised Gesser didn't get drafted.

Tim

If I was an NFL team though, I might have wasted a 7th round pick on Banks... I mean, why the hell not!

Tim, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the fact that my Niners got Dorsey.

Holy cow, is Dorsey that bad?!?!?

This guy can throw, and more importantly, complete his passes.

What went wrong, not that I am complaining.

I knew Crouch wasn't gonna be a QB in NFL.....if you don't throw the ball in the NCAA championship game, down by a bunch of points late in the game, that's the signal that you cannot throw, period.

But, Dorsey....left hanging, almost till the end?

Niners could possibly have gotten themselves a successor to Jeff Garcia, who's gonna be in mid 30s soon.

wooooohooooooooooo!!

Now, if only they will bring Jerry Rice back for his final years. Otherwise, I'd have to continue to root for the Raiders. lololol

If you watched SC today, they said that Dorsey has put on 30 pounds and is hitting the weights big time. They also said in workouts that he had the best spiral of all the QB's but no one was really giving him a shot other than the 49ers giving him a few private workouts.

I think Dorsey and Banks have a lot of talent and will be good QB's in the NFL.
    Just give them a chance and they will show the teams that didn't give them a chance on draft day what they missed out on!