Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Rice and the HOF

SCF Rewards
    Country

Post Jim Rice and the HOF

I have also heard it from Red Sox fans that Rice should be in the HOF but I never really thought of him as a Hall of Famer.

But today I looked at his career stats and he had a very good career.

Now my question is do you guys consider him a HOF player? I'm still undecided on it and would like to hear your thoughts. If you need his career stats I can post them.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards

Well, Here are his stats:

16 seasons; 1249 runs; 2452 hits; 373 doubles; 382 homers; 1451 RBIs; 0.298 BA;

He's an 8-time All Star, and 1978 MVP

Here's more of his stats

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/riceji01.shtml

I say he is NOT a Hall of Famer.

Why?

b/c there isn't much that shouts out Hall of Fame.

We shouldn't let everyone in the Hall b/c of stats. They should contribute something memorable.

Cal Ripken and his streak
    Nolan Ryan and his no-hitters, strike outs, nnd longevity
    Wade Boggs/Tony Gwynn for their incredible hitting consistency
    Mark McGwire/Barry Bonds for their home run prowess

You can't ask Red Sox fans if Jim Rice should be in the Hall. Ask non-Red Sox fans such as myself.

I am not an Orioles fan, but Cal Ripken defintely goes into the Hall.

Nor am I a Padres/Giants fans, but Gwynn and Bonds are deserving of that honor.

I believe that the Hall of Fame is an exclusive club, and you can't just go in b/c you had similar stats to previous Hall of Famers. Otherwise, Canseco will be in there; so will Fred McGriff.

When you consider Cal Ripken, is there ANYTHING you can say AGAINST him? Probably not, unless you enjoy nit-picking.

When you think Hall of Fame, you think about the best of the best. Don't let borderline superstars get in.

Rice played well; Rice made a lot of money. That's it.

The only Rice of recent memory that gets into the Hall of Fame is JERRY RICE.

Now, if ever there was a no-brainer Hall of Fame pick, it's Jerry Rice, who's SHATTERED every receiving record in regular season, playoffs, and Super Bowls, who's helped his team win 3 titles. To break Rice's records, you have to be at your best for 13-15 years (Rice will be in his 19th season this coming year).

Randy Moss so far has had the best 5-6 years, even better than Rice (primarily b/c Rice 1st year saw him mostly as a bench player). Now, does anyone who knows sports think that Randy "I play when I wanna play" Moss can keep up that pace for about 7-9 more years? If so, he's gonna break most of Rice's regular season records in only 14-16 years (whereas it took Rice 18 years to make all these records).

And then there are the play-offs and Super Bowl stats that are just absolutely mind-boggling. Even at 40 y/o, and with Oakland getting devastated by the Buccaneers, Rice still managed to score a TD against that defense.

Every football fan would agree Jerry Rice is a Hall of Famer. It doesn't matter whether you are a die-hard Cowboys / Steelers / Bills fans; if you know football, and you're not drunk/sniffing coke, you'll agree Jerry Rice belongs in the Hall.

For regular season:
    #1 in receiving catches
    #1 in receiving yards
    #1 in TDs, overall, counting running backs

For play-offs:
    see above

For Super Bowl,
    see above

1987 MVP; 1989 Super Bowl MVP; 3 Super Bowl rings.

Look at his stats, then look to see how far away current players are from getting near to those stats.

Jerry Rice is MIND-BOGGLING. The dedication all-year round; the legendary off-season work out session climbing the hills of San Jose.

That is how you should get elected into the Hall of Fame.

If there's so much controversy regarding whether or not you deserve to get in, then you shouldn't be admitted.

You insult the current Hall of Famers by electing borderline superstars.

Thus, Jim Rice is NOT a Hall of Famer.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sorry if I typed in wrong in my first post. I didn't mean that I asked Red Sox fans. Its just that all my friends are Red Sox fans and they always complain about everything Red Sox. We aren't going to win the World Series, the Yankees are evil, kill Bill Buckner, Jim Rice isn't in the hall of fame and etc.

Thanks for your input though. You made a lot of really good points.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If Jim Rice goes into the HOF, then Al Oliver, Dave Parker, Dale Murphy, Alan Trammell and Don Mattingly should also be in the HOF.

Bob

SCF Rewards

Bob...exactly my point.

And the list goes on and on..until the Hall of Fame is expanded to the size of California state.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Originally posted by NYJeterFan
    If Jim Rice goes into the HOF, then Al Oliver, Dave Parker, Dale Murphy, Alan Trammell and Don Mattingly should also be in the HOF.

Bob

Good point.

I think podstock put it best when he said

"When you think Hall of Fame, you think about the best of the best. Don't let borderline superstars get in."

That is in all honesty one of the best and smartest quotes I have ever heard by a sports fan on any message board.

The Hall of Fame should be for the great baseball players and if there is any question whether or not the player should go in then that tells you that they shouldn't.

SCF Rewards

Originally posted by pwaldo
    Good point.

I think podstock put it best when he said

"When you think Hall of Fame, you think about the best of the best. Don't let borderline superstars get in."

That is in all honesty one of the best and smartest quotes I have ever heard by a sports fan on any message board.

The Hall of Fame should be for the great baseball players and if there is any question whether or not the player should go in then that tells you that they shouldn't.

pwaldo..lol, thanks for the compliment.

I pound out an average of 24 points just chatting here and there. With over 1200 posts, the percentages are high in my favor that I'd say something intelligent in at least ONE post.

:D :D

See cfa10123's Items on eBay

Interesting point. But then there are the players who, sadly, younger people complain about being in the HOF (Bobby Doerr, Billy Herman, etc.), the true legends who make up some of the most respected and hardest working baseball players the game has ever seen. Those people never saw those legends play and therefore can't appreciate what they did for the game. They are what should make up the Hall of Fame, along with the Babe Ruths and Mickey Mantles and Ted Williams. Players who gave it their all and then some, and those had great careers.

Tim

SCF Rewards
    Country

Originally posted by NYJeterFan

Bob

Yeah That is a tough call.

Like Bob stated here, if you let him in there is a whole list of guys that should in turn be allowed in as well if your looking at stats.

BGray

SCF Rewards
    See mantleman777's Items on eBay

rice was great but HOF i dont think so

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast