Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards

Pat Riley resigns as Heat coach

This just in:

here's the link:
    http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/6747304

Riley surprisingly steps down as Heat head coach
    Oct. 24, 2003
    SportsLine.com wire reports

MIAMI -- Pat Riley resigned as coach of the Miami Heat on Friday, saying the team's rebuilding process is on track enough for him to step aside.

Riley ranks second in NBA history with 1,110 victories, and he led the Los Angeles Lakers to four championships in the 1980s. But the Heat missed the playoffs the past two years, finishing last in the Atlantic Division at 25-57 last season.

He will be replaced as Miami's coach by Stan Van Gundy, his top assistant the past several seasons.

"It's the first time I feel it's right in the last three years," Riley said. "It's right for me to. It's time."

The move is not health-related, Riley said, adding that he made the decision Wednesday.

He will stay on as the Heat's president.

Riley, 58, was voted one of the top 10 coaches in NBA history in 1996.

His 21 seasons running NBA teams include from 1981-90 with the Lakers, 1991-95 with the New York Knicks and 1995-03 with Miami. He was the NBA's Coach of the Year in 1990, 1993 and 1997.

Riley led the "Showtime" Lakers of Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to the 1982, 1985 and 1987-88 league titles. With the Knicks, he had more of a defense-oriented, bruising team that lost to Houston in the 1994 NBA Finals.

With the Heat, though, Riley never duplicated that sort of success. His Miami teams lost in the first round of the playoffs four times, and only made it as far as the Eastern Conference finals once, losing to Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls in 1997.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See stinga6789's Items on eBay

Yeah, I heard about that. I wonder how Stan Van Gundy is going to do as the head coach? I wonder if he will be as good as his brother!

SCF Rewards

Not sure how much Stan can get out of the Heat -- they're still a bad team

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See stinga6789's Items on eBay

That's true though. They did pick up Odom though. That should help just a little!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jokeboy's Items on eBay

if you asked someone about this last year they would said there was as about as much chance as the cubs or red sox winning the world series