Post Emmitt Smith's Record-setting football to be auctioned

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6851270

Record-setting football to be auctioned

NFL.com wire reports

TEMPE, Ariz. (Nov. 20, 2003) -- The football Emmitt Smith carried when he broke the NFL career rushing record will be auctioned for charity.

Smith plans to give the net proceeds to The Open Door Foundation, which provides academic assistance to needy young people, according to a news release from his marketing agency.

"Football has given me an extraordinary opportunity," Smith said in the statement. "This is just one way that I can continue to give back. I have always believed that I have a responsibility to make an impact beyond the football field."

MastroNet Inc., a Chicago-based sports and Americana collectibles company, was selected to auction the football. It is one of 2,000 items the company will put at auction on the Internet and by telephone beginning Dec. 1. Bidding will end on Dec. 18.

Bidding will start at $10,000. The football will include a letter of authorization from Smith.

Smith carried the ball for an 11-yard run for the Dallas Cowboys against Seattle on Oct. 27, 2002, to break the record for career yards rushing set by Walter Payton in 1984. After the run that broke the record, the football was taken from the field to be tagged and identified, then was returned to Smith.

Smith, now with the Arizona Cardinals, has raised more than $350,000 by auctioning items he has worn and artifacts he has earned during his football career.

Doug Allen, president of MastroNet, said he thinks it is the most valuable game-used football in existence.

"It not only has historic significance, but emotional appeal as well," Allen said.

How much do you expect this to fetch????

2. Kronozio
    its a nice thing to do for one of the cowboys i actually liked (i kno hes a cardinal now)

wow!! you mean Emmitt didn't take the ball to his card shop he owns in Pensacola FL and sell it for profit for him and his family?

Emmitt is a Hall of Famer....but I despise the fact that he takes all his TD balls and keeps them (perhaps he gives a couple to his teammates) for sale at his shop.

when you make over $750M+ for your entire career, perhaps you ought to give the fans a few footballs as souvenirs

he didn't keep every single one. I am sure he gave away a couple of his TD balls to teammates

but after each TD, Emmitt takes the ball, labels it (TD #120, for instance), dates it, signs it, and the ballboy for the club is then in charge of NOT losing it

Wow, If i were in Emmitt's spot i would want keep my first TD football and and the Record Breaking football and get give/auction the others away to friends/fans or for charity.

He should put the record breaking football on display in Canton, OH - Thats were it belongs IMO