Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Input from SCF Members (Ideas for Events)!!

I will be sending out inquiries to people that I see browsing these forums. Something must have caught your attention to check out this forum. I assume most members like to see what shows might be in their area.

This is a new forum and I would like to ask for feedback from members on how we can make this forum better. If you have any ideas or suggestions please post as we will take a look at all comments posted and utilized any if possible.

p.s. We also ask that if you attend any sports card shows to post about it. If you have any questions and you would like us to help you post about it here is a thread to help you.

https://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?t=397565

DON & STEVE

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mitcwolf's Items on eBay

i think one thing that would help is if you assigned someone specific to this forum that there only objective is to search the internet for shows all over. I for one dont hear about many shows until the day before.... maybe get someone to make a network with show managers all over so they can get an active calendar or even get SCF represented at some shows. I took a break for nearly 8 months earlier and when i came back it is largely the same people as when i left.... that is fine but aftr you trade with someone for all the guys cards you collect trading gets stale.... I know if i found out about a show in our area with a large amount of booths i would set something up and hand out SCF cards or something. I just think you need to either go all out with this forum or not have it at all.... if the same person is posting local shows all the time it really isnt helping but a few people where if a member of the staff was assigned to look all over and network you could let everyone know about it. I would start to look into it but dont even know where to start. Also if a staff member was held accountable for it, there is a better chance of it getting done than if we just rely on members of the site.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

i think one thing that would help is if you assigned someone specific to this forum that there only objective is to search the internet for shows all over. I for one dont hear about many shows until the day before.... maybe get someone to make a network with show managers all over so they can get an active calendar or even get SCF represented at some shows. I took a break for nearly 8 months earlier and when i came back it is largely the same people as when i left.... that is fine but aftr you trade with someone for all the guys cards you collect trading gets stale.... I know if i found out about a show in our area with a large amount of booths i would set something up and hand out SCF cards or something. I just think you need to either go all out with this forum or not have it at all.... if the same person is posting local shows all the time it really isnt helping but a few people where if a member of the staff was assigned to look all over and network you could let everyone know about it. I would start to look into it but dont even know where to start. Also if a staff member was held accountable for it, there is a better chance of it getting done than if we just rely on members of the site.

Okay going to try to touch on this a little and explain my thoughts but thank for the response. As any response is good and this is the type of thing we want.

Well as for people being assigned to this section that is Steve and I.

I see your from INDIANA now if you look on page 5 there are several different locations for shows in that state (Bloomington, Terre Haute, and Indianapolis, etc).

So those shows where posted up the beginning of November for you and some are next week etc. Of course it a lot of work for Steve to do that as he is one person and of course I ask any member that would like to help the EVENT FORUMS to let us know. We could always use a 3rd or 4th person on the team.

Well not sure if you know but we are currently working on setting up at the NATIONALS in Chicago and hopefully that will help us out. If you look ever view YOU TUBE take a look at the user id DONICEAGE (same as mine here) and I have video's I shot for other shows. They are not the best but they will get better as that was the first one's I shot. To me there a lot of things we can do but it simple. The more people we have out there helping building this forum that are members telling us about the shows the more active it will be.

I am trying to get a Calendar Installed so we can type more information and say you wanted to look ahead you could see what is coming up in December you could do that. Of course we do not have the software yet but if we do that will alleviate that problem. But still it does not alleviate the problem of having someone typing them in. SO again anyone that is interested in doing shows and promoting SCF feel free to holler at Steve and I and we would love for some more friendly faces in here.

You mention the trading cards get stale and I couldn't agree more. I would assume about half of us that truly trade and collect cards attend shows in one way form or another. The only reason I say half is sometimes people just don't have show's in their area. The thing we can do when setting up show's is putting up wantlists while at a table. As I don't mind picking things up for people but that means 2 things: 1) they have to let me know what they want, 2) that when I get the card for them they will take it!! As you don't know how many times I have picked up a nice game used to 20 or rarer card and then the person doesn't want it later. That doesn't set well with me but if we get some guys and gals that do attend shows on a continual basis it will create another forum of activity as we will say look for this out for me. I mean we could create rules on something to post exclusively here for members.

Example: What I do now is carry a rolodex with me of phone numbers. When I see a card I call that person as shows are usually on the weekend thus unlimited minutes. Then I just take the time to tell them about the card and then take it from there.

You mention about setting up at a cardshow and if you do Steve, George (graphic manager), and I have worked on a long list of Flier's, business card's, and other medium's to advertise STC. So, again if any of you members set up at shows and would like to help us out let us know.

Okay your point on going all out. Well here where that comes into play. As a member I will do some shows and do a write up a few times a year (I am one person). Steve will also do a thing as well but again only one person. We cannot force anyone to do this as it not a job and none of us actually get money but it something we love to do. To me it all about connections and helping myself and others as I might know who need this or that card etc. Or perhaps just meeting a friend down the road that I can hit a show with or two. Remember this the staff is only like 60 in numbers and some don't even collect cards. SO who do you think is truly going to set up at show's or attend. More than likely it will be the members who number 1000's and they are the one's we need to reach out to.

p.s. Just a few things that I am working on and it will take some time. I am trying to break down the State's and possibly the other regions of collectors so when their is a show and anyone from here sets up will know about it. So in closing say you set up at a show in Indiana I would send out a pm to the 150 members in the database from Indiana and would let them know to meet you at such and table for a meet and greet. Thus, making the community more closer as we take it from the internet to in person at the show. You wouldn't believe how many people I had met in person and did not find out later they we had traded somewhere on the net in the past. As I met a guy at the NHL DRAFT in Carolina and when we started chatting he like I trade here and there. Then he was like we just made a trade but we had never thought to chat about actually attending a event and have been great friends ever since with him adding a few of his bud's to my contacts that I keep in touch with on weekends or thru trading.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mitcwolf's Items on eBay

i appreciate your response... truthfully, i wrote my post before searching around or anything. First off please dont take my comments as a poje at any staff member as i know the work you guys put into this site... One thing i tried to point out in my original post was the calendar thing... i know at work we have a virtual calendar that everyone can add things on for the entire branch. Something like that would be awesome because we could open the calendar and see what is on it... maybe one for each region/state/area something would be a great addition. I didnt know you were setting up at nationals but that is awesome... also if there was some group of people from around me (indiana, michigan, or ohio) that would be interested in sharing a booth PM me as i have always been interested in doing one but i really dont think at this time i have the inventory....

I assume you have a resource where you have gotten all the show information but i also know every weekend there are post in the sports trading forums about show pickups etc... if we could find some people to get with those people to get all show information it would be awesome... I have been to a few shows but honestly there could be one right down the road and i have no idea about it... no clue where to get the info... nothing.

This probably sounds like rambling because it does to me its just in my opinion shows are a great, cheap way to get the SCF name out on the trading place... the more shows scf is represented at the more the namebase will grow and hopefully make it an even better site. I am busy pretty much every weekend through christmas but after the first of the year i would love to help out a little by compiling lists of shows... maybe i could even learn something new in the process. I would just need a little help with direction of where to start....

Mitch

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Mitch,
    I do this show and I have members here from SCF and others attend with me. Thing is a table is only 75 bucks for 3 days and the traffic is pretty good. Of course the summer time is not the time to do it as people are more likely to hit the big flea markets when it cold.

Again, if we know we are setting up I would contact all the members and say "SCF going to set up a table at this show." Here is a example of a show I do that thought it a 6 hour drive. It rocks and if you have a group of 4 rooms aren't to expensive as you can share the cost and split 2 tables between the 4 of you.

Here is a link to the show with some pictures from my past experiences.

I did the one in Taylor with my wife about 2 years ago:

Then I did this one with my wife again in Mt. Clemens. Took a picture of the dealer next to me and behind me to just show the assortment of stuff they have.

http://www.gibraltartrade.com/ (CHECK THAT OUT FOR A GREAT!!)))

DON

p.s. Just holler if you would like to chat more. I am more than willing to talk on the phone or im's if your ever interested.
    Last edited by doniceage; 11-11-2007 at 11:35 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Green Bay Packers Toronto Blue Jays Philadelphia Flyers
    See sealedpwr's Items on eBay

Don , i would Love to goto a show , unfortunently they do not have any and have not had any in Saskatchewan for a very long Time.

cliff

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Don , i would Love to goto a show , unfortunently they do not have any and have not had any in Saskatchewan for a very long Time.

cliff

Cliff,
    Well that not a problem if you look at it like that. Do you have any shops in the vicinity. Did their use to be shows, are there still collectors out there, etc.

p.s. Sending you a pm as perhaps this might be your calling.

DON

Country
    See ChadJacksonFan's Items on eBay

I attend the Frank&Sons show in the City of industry, Ca. It is an Ideal place to meet fellow collectors and Price on wax and single can be under most online sites. I love going to the Show but I also wish there was one that was closer to me. (2:00 away) I am actually going to go to the show in mid december for christmas

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I attend the Frank&Sons show in the City of industry, Ca. It is an Ideal place to meet fellow collectors and Price on wax and single can be under most online sites. I love going to the Show but I also wish there was one that was closer to me. (2:00 away) I am actually going to go to the show in mid december for christmas

Harry,
    Amen on what you said above. Here is a link where a collector goes to the show and you probably passed by but never chatted LOL. As, he made a post and even mentioned some of the prices on the box and the prices (they were very reasonable).

p.s. This is one of the reason I try to tell people to meet at shows and if they trade online trading in person is always NUMBER ONE in my book. Thanks for the response I appreciated it.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country

Harry,
    Amen on what you said above. Here is a link where a collector goes to the show and you probably passed by but never chatted LOL. As, he made a post and even mentioned some of the prices on the box and the prices (they were very reasonable).

p.s. This is one of the reason I try to tell people to meet at shows and if they trade online trading in person is always NUMBER ONE in my book. Thanks for the response I appreciated it.

DON

You got that right, I think its good for the hobby since more trades happen online. Brings back some of the past times of going to the shop to make some trades when I was a kid. If we do trade in person(another member of this site) can you still consider that a trade on this site? I will probably be hitting the shows bigtime next year. Not sure if you have ever done this but, it would be cool to have a big get together at a big show or somthing once a year or so.

Thanks
    kp
    Last edited by K.Pop; 11-19-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast