Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on Pacific

Post Update on Pacific

I finally found the article I was talking about before.

From Beckett Online 5/03
    "It looks as if Pacific Trading Cards has produced its final NFL product. Details are sketchy and phone calls to Pacific were not returned, but Pacific has apparently backed out of its license to produce football cards for the NFL.

Pacific has produced football cards since 1991 but never reached the heights achieved by its competitors despite a number of innovations.
    Pacific produced the first all foil set and the first all die-cut set.

It is getting more and more difficult for manufacturers to make a go of it in the trading card arena and it seems as if Pacific chose to go another route. Pacific continues to produce NHL trading cards. The company's license with MLB for the making of baseball cards was not renewed a couple of years ago."
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Wow, that's pretty big news. I'm not a huge fan of Pacific, but at least it helps to make for less cards to acquire, and hopefully makes some cards more valuable.

Tim

Originally posted by stkmtimo
    Wow, that's pretty big news. I'm not a huge fan of Pacific, but at least it helps to make for less cards to acquire, and hopefully makes some cards more valuable.

Tim
    It will probably make more cards worth less money.

Now all of the Pacific cards will go down in value.

That's true, but it makes the marketplace have less competitors and therefore the prices will rise a tad to adjust for EMT.

Tim

That's true, but it makes the marketplace have less competitors and therefore the prices will rise a tad to adjust for EMT.

Tim
    Not really.

Look when Pro Set, Donruss, WildCard, Scoreboard, Classic, and Pinnacle went out. Cards didn't go up after that.

Pacific is a bigger company and has more of an impact on the marketplace. Those cards were too over-produced. Get them out of here! (Pacific)

Tim

Pacific is a bigger company and has more of an impact on the marketplace. Those cards were too over-produced. Get them out of here! (Pacific)

Tim
    Eh, I'd say Donruss/Pinnacle was A LOT bigger than Pacific could ever hope to be.

And had a bigger impact.

Welp if Pacific does leave, I personally believe that in a couple of years it will have an impact on the prices going up. The main thing to look at is the fact that Pacific was a major source of game used jerseys. Now the only way I see cards not really going up in value is if the other companies produce more in the abscence of Pacific. It would not be wise for the other companies to make more. But that is just my opinion. :)

Richie
    mookigremlin
    :p

Originally posted by mookigremlin
    Welp if Pacific does leave, I personally believe that in a couple of years it will have an impact on the prices going up. The main thing to look at is the fact that Pacific was a major source of game used jerseys. Now the only way I see cards not really going up in value is if the other companies produce more in the abscence of Pacific. It would not be wise for the other companies to make more. But that is just my opinion. :)

Richie
    mookigremlin
    :p
    Yeah but when other companies went out of business Fleer, Topps, and Upper Deck didn't make less sets they've continued to make more. So there is no reason to believe otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast