Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See yankeepride20's Items on eBay

Keep overlooking Brodeur at your own risk.

He's always been second-fiddle to someone, whether it be Roy, Hasek, or now - Giguere.

All he has is a growing resume of NHL records, 2 rings, numerous All-Star appearances, and a track to break most (if not all) of the longevity records that Roy has set.

Don't let the Devils' "system" fool you - the reason they can play the way they do is because Brodeur will always be there when they need him. Look at the the Red Wings and Avalanche of recent years. They put together an expensive all-star team, and the Devils kept their payroll reasonable (read: without any major-league scorers) because Brodeur makes it unnecessary for them to have an $8 million 50-goal scorer. They don't pick up a Borque or a Hull, they pick up Grant Marshall. It's because Marty will make that one-goal lead stand up.

He's also quiet, and doesn't like to draw attention to himself. But make no mistake, he's not in the Finals for the 3rd time in 4 years, with a 3rd Cup just 3 wins away, because he's just above average. He's elite, and should, by the time he retires, be seen as the greatest. Giguere is a one-year wonder, and while that one year has been spectacular, I need to see him do it again (and again) to talk about him the way people are right now.

SCF Rewards

in sports, you are only second fiddle when you are not good enough to beat the best.

No matter what quarterback is playing, he'll always be second fiddle to Joe Montana, until he plays so incredibly well that people place him ahead of Montana.

Before Montana came along, everyone talked of Staubach, Tarkenton, Unitas..etc. etc

Then Montana won 4 Super Bowls --2 blow-outs, 2 close games, and he got the MVP 3 times. That pretty much shut up most folks.

So, if Brodeur wants to escape Roy's shadow, then show he deserves for others to say he's the best.

Before Jerry Rice came along, you had wide receivers like Lance Alworth, and whoever.

Now that Rice has almost every single significant record in regular season, in playoff, and in Super Bowl, no one talks about WR until Rice is first mentioned.

In sports, you get the opportunity to show you're the best.

If Brodeur is better than Roy, prove it on the ice.

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one.

But when you have Jerry Rice, with every single significant record a wide receiver in the NFL could possibly have, and 3 SuperBowls, and a Super Bowl MVP....there ain't a single person that can legitimately say Rice isn't #1 wide receiver of all time.

Just look at the records, look at the SuperBowl highlights, look at his incredible longevity.

****THAT**** is how you become better than the rest.

If Brodeur has to wait for Roy to retire to be consider the best, then Brodeur ain't worth sh*t

See cfa10123's Items on eBay

Are you kidding me? Brodeur is so much better than Roy was, and Brodeur is fast approaching on many of the records Roy set. Brodeur was, is and will always be the best goalie in hockey. I'm not saying this because I'm a Devils fan either. Don't two Stanley Cup victories and an appearance and shut-out now say anything?

Tim

SCF Rewards

Tim -- you're so incredibly biased, it's pretty sad.

Look, if Brodeur is the best goalie, then I'd like for someone who isn't a Devils fan to say that.

Last thing I want to hear is you saying sh*t like

Yankees are the greatest
    Brodeur is the greatest.

back up that talk with statistics and the contribution the player made to his respective sport.

There is no need to back up the Yankees with statistics. They have 26 world championships and ARE the greatest team ever. Go ahead and like other teams, but I have always been a Diehard Yankee and Devils' fan and I can say whatever I want about them. The facts are that the Yankees are the greatest team ever, and ask any baseball historian and they will mirror what I am saying. I'm not proclaiming "this team or player is the greatest". Even if I WASN'T a fan, I would be saying the same thing.

Let's see on Brodeur:
    Named to Quebec Major Junior Hockey League All-Star second team, 1991-92.
    Winner, Calder Memorial Trophy, 1993-94.
    Named to National Hockey League All-Rookie Team, 1993-94.
    Named #1 future top-ten player, The Sporting News 1994-95 Hockey Yearbook.
    Named fourth-best reflexes among goaltenders, The Sporting News 1994-95 Hockey Yearbook.
    Voted #9 Current Goaltender, rec.sport.hockey Goaltender Survey #1, October 9-16, 1994.
    Rated #9 in Hockey Stars Presents "The Top 50 Netminders in Pro Hockey", November 1994.
    Voted #8 Current Goaltender, rec.sport.hockey Goaltender Survey #2, January 12-20, 1995.
    First goaltender in Devils' history to record back-to-back shutouts, stopping 53 shots on goal in victories over Ottawa and the Rangers, on April 5 and April 9, 1995.
    Voted #9 Current Goaltender, rec.sport.hockey Goaltender Survey #3, April 1-15, 1995.
    Finished eighth in voting for Vezina Trophy, 1994-95.
    Member of Stanley Cup champion New Jersey Devils, 1995.
    Shares National Hockey League single-season playoff record for most wins by a goaltender (16), 1995.
    1994-95 Goaltender of the Year, Hockey Stars Presents, Summer 1995.
    Rated #1 in Hockey Stars Presents "The Top 50 Netminders in Pro Hockey", November 1995.
    Played in National Hockey League All-Star Game, 1996.
    Led National Hockey League goaltenders in minutes played (4434) and losses (30), 1995-96.
    Holds National Hockey League single-season record for most minutes played by a goaltender (4434), 1995-96.
    Finished fourth in voting for Vezina Trophy, 1995-96.
    Finished third in voting for National Hockey League All-Star team, 1995-96.
    Played in National Hockey League All-Star Game, 1997.
    Shared (with Mike Dunham) William M. Jennings Trophy, 1996-97.
    Named to National Hockey League All-Star second team, 1996-97.
    Named to The Hockey News National Hockey League All-Star second team, 1996-97.
    Finished fourth in voting for Hart Memorial Trophy, 1996-97.
    Finished second in voting for Vezina Trophy, 1996-97.
    Named National Hockey League Player of the Month, November 1997.
    Named to The Hockey News' midseason First All-Star Team, January 1998.
    Played in National Hockey League All-Star Game, January 18, 1998.
    Goaltender for Canadian Olympic Team, February 1998.
    Winner, William M. Jennings Trophy, 1997-98.
    Named National Hockey League Player of the Week, January 10, 2000.
    Member of Stanley Cup champion New Jersey Devils, 2000.
    Named to The Sporting News All-Star First Team, 2000-01.
    Member of gold medal-winning Canadian Olympic Team, 2002.
    Named National Hockey League Player of the Week, April 1, 2002.
    Named National Hockey League Player of the Week, January 20, 2003.

Also, two Stanley Cups and now a shutout in game 1 of this year's Stanley Cup. Is that enough for you? There are the statistics and contributions for each.

If you want to know who agrees with me, ask Darren Pang and Steve Levy - both agree Brodeur is the best goalie in the game.

Tim

SCF Rewards

Nice work, Tim.

That's how you back up a statement.

You should work for him as an agent.

I try, I try :) His agent is probably one happy man (rich, too).

Tim

SCF Rewards

you want to know a happy agent?

two words for you:

LEBRON JAMES

lolol

the agent just goes in to the meeting with the Cavs owner...

What is the owner going to do? be a tightwad?

lolol

how easy is it to fill in blank checks signed by the owner?

now that is one happy agent

SCF Rewards

Happy? No...ecstatic, no. He's James-afied. HE has James-mania. (lol ignore that)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast