Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaq Suspended For Potty Mouth

Shaq Suspended For Potty Mouth

http://tsn.ca/nba/news_story.asp?id=70704

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Shaquille O'Neal was suspended one game without pay by the NBA on Monday, one day after using obscene language and publicly criticizing game officials during a television interview in Toronto.

The suspension was announced just hours after O'Neal issued a statement apologizing for the comments he made following the Lakers' 84-83 victory over the Toronto Raptors on Sunday.

O'Neal will serve the suspension Monday night, sitting out a game against the Eastern Conference-leading Indiana Pacers. It will cost him nearly $295,000 US.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson called the punishment ``rather severe and childish in some ways.''

Jackson said he thought a fine would have been appropriate and that the fans would be penalized by not being able to see O'Neal in the Lakers' lone trip to Indianapolis.

``The league is known for its vindictiveness,'' Jackson said. ``But we didn't anticipate a suspension.''

O'Neal scored a season-high 36 points against the Raptors in his third game back after missing 12 contests because of a strained right calf, but was angered by the officiating.

He made that clear in his post-game interview on KCAL-TV - conducted almost immediately after the game.

``My message to (commissioner) David Stern is get some people in there that understand the game and don't try to take over the . . . game because people pay good money to see good athletes play,'' O'Neal said.

When reminded he was on live television, O'Neal responded with another profanity before the interview continued.

``My comments were made out of frustration in the heat of the moment,'' O'Neal said in the statement released Monday by the Lakers. ``But I realize that my choice of words was inappropriate and again, I would like to apologize.''

The game in Indiana was the second of a seven-game road trip for the Lakers, who are already minus injured stars Kobe Bryant and Karl Malone.

Jackson said ``there was no precedence'' for the suspension, but that the team will accept it and move on.

General manager Mitch Kupchak informed Jackson of the news hours after the team was game-planning to get O'Neal the ball early and often against the Pacers, Jackson said.

``I didn't get any satisfaction from their reasoning,'' Jackson said.

It was the latest in what has been a season full of injuries and drama for the Lakers.

``There's never been anything like this in my tenure,'' Jackson said of the injuries and Bryant's legal troubles.

Pacers forward Ron Artest said he would have preferred to see O'Neal in the lineup Monday night.

``I would rather have him play,'' said Artest, who added that he thought the suspension was deserved. ``You don't want to play against a team that's not full strength.''

He should have deserved a fine, but not a suspention. He was 100% right in what he said. The calls in the game were horrible!

He said something about the "F*cking" refs and then the guy interviewing him said "Shaq, you do know we're on live?" to which Shaq replied "I don't give a sh*t"

hahahaha...I was at a Super Bowl party with a couple of buddies; so I taped the game (it started at 9:30 am PST) and have that Shaq interview on tape

lololol...boy, NBA suspended Shaq 1 game, and the Lakers got blown out today at Indiana

how stupid is that? why not fine Shaq $100,000 and let him play?

Shaq took a beating last Friday vs. Minnesota and was taking a beating vs. Toronto

Im a huge Indiana Pacers fan and am dissappointed by this. First I was hoping to see Kobe against the Pacers atleast..and then he gets 'injured'...then i was like ok..atleast I get to see how the Pacers do against Shaq....THEN WHAT HAPPENED?! NO SHAQ! Im glad the Pacers won, but I know the matchups were not even.

Originally posted by paul06901
    Know what Shaq exactly said?
    "My message to David Stern is get some people in there that understand the game and don't try to take over the f***ing game because people pay good money to see good athletes play,'' O'Neal said.

"uhh...shaq.... we're on live TV right now."

"I don't give a s***"

My friend told me about this incident, I laughed when he told me. Shaq's definitley a character.

Originally posted by skyracer3
    Im a huge Indiana Pacers fan and am dissappointed by this. First I was hoping to see Kobe against the Pacers atleast..and then he gets 'injured'...then i was like ok..atleast I get to see how the Pacers do against Shaq....THEN WHAT HAPPENED?! NO SHAQ! Im glad the Pacers won, but I know the matchups were not even.
    if I were a Pacers fan, I'd be ecstatic that Shaq isn't playing.

Nothing is ever fair in sports; so any advantage is one that should be celebrated

wut has live tv turned into between shaq and janet jackson super bowl?? eventually we will be watching taped only**

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast