Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corked Bat

Angry Corked Bat

Do you guys think this incident with Sammy Sosa will hurt the price of his cards.

If it just puts a temporary sting on the values of his cards I was thinking about picking some up if the price drop

Or do you think the opposite will happen and his card prices will go up in price and become more in demand

What does everybody else think about this?

People have too much into Sammy to let his cards really drop from this. I think if anything, his cards will rise because of all the press he's getting. People want to believe his "mistake" reasoning because he is a good guy and will support him... supporting him also means supporting his cards.

Arastis
    I don't think it will effect his cards at all the public tends to forget things like this after a short while

This will not effect his cards at all. It was proven that all of his success was actually "un-corked succes". (For those fo you who don't know, they cut up one of his bats from his Home-run chase with Mark McGwire and no cork was found.) I think this was a ine-time mistake and he will not do it again. We all love Sammy, so if anything people will be re-juvinated and people will buy his cards again, thus causing the price to go up.

Originally posted by ILuvSportsCards
    This will not effect his cards at all. It was proven that all of his success was actually "un-corked succes". (For those fo you who don't know, they cut up one of his bats from his Home-run chase with Mark McGwire and no cork was found.) I think this was a ine-time mistake and he will not do it again. We all love Sammy, so if anything people will be re-juvinated and people will buy his cards again, thus causing the price to go up.
    I agree bud! As big of a deal as it is now I really don't think it is going to be an issue for long. He was wrong and he might have done it purposely but their just isn't enough solid evidence to have any case that he has been doing it over a period of time.

BGray
    SCF Founder
    BIG Props to everyone at SCF as you chase 14 Million posts!

I have been hoping this corked bat incident results in a dramatic drop off in his rookie cards (perhaps this entire season will be one of his worse stats-wise, as he's only got 6 homers so far)

Looking to pick up Sosa rookies on the cheap. He'll be a Hall of Famer one day

lol Thansk for agreeing with me. Not many people have on that opinion.

But as for picking up his RC's cheap,thye aren't that high if they are ungraded. If you are looking to make a couple of bucks, buy an un-graded one, invest a few dollars and get it graded by PSA (usually get a higher grade...a little personal tip), and sell it. You may only get $20 but it's probably still a profit of about $10.

I have 4 Bowman RC's of Sosa, 2 Donruss Rc's, 1 Fleer Rc, and 1 Topps RC.

I hope the prices don't drop.

the prices may drop temporarily, due to Sosa struggling mightily -- he's only got 6 homers

heck, Garrett Anderson has 6 homers in the last 5 games

But, Sosa will be in the Hall, so grab them while you can if they're cheap

landlcards
    I was watching ESPN with an interview with David Justice and was suprised that he said many batters take BP with corked bats and when they go to the club house before the game the batboy is in charge of putting the game bats in place so I can see a mistake happening also he said they use corked bats in the Homerun Derby. Now I remember seeing old footage of Hank Aaron smashing the ball also Babe so does the juicing of balls and using stimulants that wasnt around then deminish the records of the old timers???

Look at this Rickey Henderson has the SB record now noone even tries cause they know its easier to hit a HR.Let go back to the days where you had to be great to hit homers.

I give my props to Sosa but look at his begining career he wasnt a HR hitter at all it took bulking up with vitamins and ball parks moving the walls in to jump start his HR career.

Many will disagree but this is my opinion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast