Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

View Poll Results:

Voters
0. This poll is closed
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See CraigsCards1's Items on eBay

What do you blame MOST for the demise of cardboard (esp. commons).

Here's some reasons that a lot of people blame...in chronological order:

The '80s and '90s where Topps, Fleer, and Donruss produced so many cards that everything was worthless.
    The mid-to-late '90s when every major company began to produce 50 different sets?
    The late '90s when it became commonplace to get one or more inserts in every pack?
    The Internet/ebay making it so much easier to get cards, thus making a $25 card become a $4 card?
    The 2000-present trend of flooding the market with game used and autographs, thus leading people to crack boxes and packs ONLY looking for GU and auto's, then immediately selling the "garbage" (non-GU/auto's) on ebay...or just trashing them?
    eTopps, because that's what REALLY made no one want any cardboard that didn't have a piece of jersey or bat glued to it?

SCF Rewards
    See a-rodriguez03's Items on eBay

I think it's eBay and the fact that so many people bust boxes and cases trying to pull that Babe Ruth bat or Barry Bonds auto. If they are disappointed, many of those commons are left on the hobby shop counter. Only commons from popular SETS like Topps Heritage and Fleer Tradition will probably garner decent value.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I said ebay/Internet trading. The thing is, you could also argue that it's the best thing that's ever happened to the hobby.

See cfa10123's Items on eBay

I say eBay, as well. The demise of this is apparent, because these cards can be bought so cheaply on eBay. The real problem will arise when Beckett actually lowers their prices to reflect the real trading and sale value of some of these cards.

Tim

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah, that will be interesting. If a $20 card in Beckett sells for $4 on ebay, then they drop the value in Beckett to $4 to compensate...will it then make that $4 card sell for $1 on ebay???

I think if Beckett basically makes it their cover story that "look, we've obviously had inflated prices for years, and now we're lowering the values to reflect the Internet market," then enough people would understand and I think the HUGE drop in ebay sale prices would not occur...or at least be short lived.

I think Beckett REALLY needs to do that, though. Until they make the prices reflect the actual internet values (the way eTopps does), the market is going to be trash.

See cfa10123's Items on eBay

Originally posted by CraigsCards1
    Yeah, that will be interesting. If a $20 card in Beckett sells for $4 on ebay, then they drop the value in Beckett to $4 to compensate...will it then make that $4 card sell for $1 on ebay???

I think if Beckett basically makes it their cover story that "look, we've obviously had inflated prices for years, and now we're lowering the values to reflect the Internet market," then enough people would understand and I think the HUGE drop in ebay sale prices would not occur...or at least be short lived.

I think Beckett REALLY needs to do that, though. Until they make the prices reflect the actual internet values (the way eTopps does), the market is going to be trash.

I agree, I can barely get $4 for a $20 GU card, and that's if I'm lucky. I'm not in it for the money (I rarely sell), I just love cards.

Tim

SCF Rewards
    See plunge's Items on eBay

The market is way too flooded. Just look at a Beckett's price guide and you'll see what I mean. For the last couple years you can turn page after page of the Beckett guide for all the different sets available. In my dad's words, "It's absolutely mind-boggling!"

Arastis
    The company's make too many sets. I agree totally with plunge

Country

I think it's the fees that are charged by the Players associations and leagues that have driven the price of packs up so much

I realize it's more expensive to produce the nicer looking cards
    (materials used and such)

But some product is just insanly expensive.

I remember when the 96 SPX basketball came out.

WHAT 5 dollars a pack, 1 CARD!!!!!!!!; that was rediculous then, but the UD premier hockey is now 60 a pack!
    Whats the next trend?

I like etopps, but dont have many.
    With the loss of Pacific doing Football, maybe the tides are turning in the Collectors favor.

Stuff is still over produced.

SCF Rewards

I'd have to say that the demise of cardboard hinges on two factors.

First and foremost; the card companies, in their rush to make their millions of dollars, produced an overwhelming abundance of cards, millions upon millions of cards

Secondly, it's the dealers -- these guys/gals do everything, including fraud and deceit, in order to make a buck. Kids are the lifeblood of sports memorabilia. When you screw a kid out of his money and/or his cards, and he quits collecting forever, that includes his future kids when he grows up and marries.

The Interent played only a small role in the demise. And it's very small at that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast