Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's why I won't sell....only trade....for now anyway

Exactly my position on this issue. It does get kind of annoying when someone wants a card of yours and they don't have anything you like, then they ask "Can you sell?" and I would give them an offer and then they show me an auction that has it for 99 cents with 6 days left, lol.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Cleveland Cavaliers
    See selby1286's Items on eBay

I have noticed more of the rude people on here are 13, some even younger like a 12 year old that was on here before. I'll never forget this...so I was looking at a Charlie Frye auto, nothing too special or even more than 5 dollars really. And the 13-year old with the card says "What do you have for Tom Brady and Adrian Peterson Autos and Patches." Seriously...you think a guy looking at a 3 dollar Charlie Frye auto will have Tom Brady autos to trade? And of course, I told him I didn't and asked if he wanted anything else, he said "Ok...maybe if you have anything of Brady Quinn or Eli Manning." At that point, I stopped talking to the kid. I don't know why its getting so hard to make a simple trade now.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Overall, I think you have to give the young kids a bit of leeway here. I mean, they're kids for hecks sake. Who doesn't look back on being 13 years old and laugh at how they acted at that age? Or 16? Or 20? Or even 25 for that matter?
    Adults who seriously put stock in the lack of social graces amongst 13 year olds are either outright stupid, or haven't matured enough themselves past those ages to look back and objectively realize what they're dealing with

(I'm going to say something here that may raise a few hackles... As I've recently returned to the hobby, as someone who collected as a child and is now a grown adult, one thing that strikes me about what I'm seeing as far as adults in the hobby is that the percentage of 'manchildren' in the sports card hobby is kinda high. Much higher than you see in day to day life. It's no real shock that such socially stunted adults may address their dealings with 13 year olds as though they were dealing with members of a peer group, not fully comprehending the behavioral disparity that will occur with the disparity of age)

On lowball offers, one thing that I've railed about on this site is that no one (well, very few, anyway) prices their stuff. Yes, I realize that this site is basically a kiddieland and the children get a kick out of haggling back and forth, but for those of us who aren't trying to wring every last nickel out of our weekly allowance and actually have substantive amounts of money to spend and don't want to waste our time quarreling back and forth, this "no price" methodology is a total joke- there's a reason you don't see a single serious hobby or concern populated primarily by adults operate like this- where everything is "make an offer" - but you do see it in hobbies and websites that are geared towards the younger set.

With that said, if your stuff is priced "make an offer", then you have absolutely no moral high ground whatsoever to whine about "lowball offers". You got exactly what you asked for. "An Offer". If your stuff is priced with finite prices, then yes, you can be annoyed by lowballs, but get over it. Extend the same "common courtesy" you complain about and simply tell them "no thanks" and move on.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I have noticed more of the rude people on here are 13, some even younger like a 12 year old that was on here before. I'll never forget this...so I was looking at a Charlie Frye auto, nothing too special or even more than 5 dollars really. And the 13-year old with the card says "What do you have for Tom Brady and Adrian Peterson Autos and Patches." Seriously...you think a guy looking at a 3 dollar Charlie Frye auto will have Tom Brady autos to trade? And of course, I told him I didn't and asked if he wanted anything else, he said "Ok...maybe if you have anything of Brady Quinn or Eli Manning." At that point, I stopped talking to the kid. I don't know why its getting so hard to make a simple trade now.

I am almost positive i know who your talking about. and one day, he went on my team lots for sale thread and asked if i had current marlins, so i list them. then he wants past marlins like cabrera and dtrain, i listed those as well. then he wanted jj hardy and ryan howard. at this point i was pissed and just said "tell me EVERYONE you want" he then says any yadier molina, at this point i just went off on him about how rude and disrespectful he's being and that myself and most every other member wouldnt appriciate it. his excuse is, my brother kept changing his mine? i think that kid had 50 different super collections at one point
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See bmoy88's Items on eBay

On lowball offers, one thing that I've railed about on this site is that no one (well, very few, anyway) prices their stuff. Yes, I realize that this site is basically a kiddieland and the children get a kick out of haggling back and forth, but for those of us who aren't trying to wring every last nickel out of our weekly allowance and actually have substantive amounts of money to spend and don't want to waste our time quarreling back and forth, this "no price" methodology is a total joke- there's a reason you don't see a single serious hobby or concern populated primarily by adults operate like this- where everything is "make an offer" - but you do see it in hobbies and websites that are geared towards the younger set.

With that said, if your stuff is priced "make an offer", then you have absolutely no moral high ground whatsoever to whine about "lowball offers". You got exactly what you asked for. "An Offer". If your stuff is priced with finite prices, then yes, you can be annoyed by lowballs, but get over it. Extend the same "common courtesy" you complain about and simply tell them "no thanks" and move on.

Beat me to it!

How can somebody know what is a lowball offer and what is not if you haven't mentioned a price? Why don't more sellers post a price or a trade value? Because there is always hope by a seller that somebody will "come over the top" with an offer that is waaay better than what he had in mind! There are plenty of threads on SCF about a card being worth only what somebody's willing to pay/trade for it. Example: Seller puts a $100 BV card for sale at $50. 5 minutes later, I post back "I'll take it". Now the vendor will start thinking - "Hmm, did I post that too cheap? Could I have gotten more?". It goes the same for buyers. "Hmm, did I offer too much?.

Not everybody, especially a 13 year old, has access to a $10 a month Beckett every month to know pricing. And even if they did, where would they start? They don't have the deep pockets to spend on a Lebron auto, so let them dream about the ability of swinging that trade of their MoPete patch for a Lebron auto. Just say "No thanks" and move on.

Kids today are brought up differently than when I was a kid. Now it's the texting age - 'c u latr', 'hey', 'u home?' and THE INTERNET. With internet, I find that people, not just kids, have poorer social skills. People just don't seem to interact well with others anymore. I have sent well prepared job quotes to clients of mine for work that they requested with salutations and such and the reply I will get back is 'OK. Thanks.' But that's progression and that's society's fault - 2 income families, keeping up with the Jonses' etc. Not really the kids fault.

Like BackInTheDay said, you gotta take it all with a grain of salt!

Everybody tries to get the best deal possible - buyers and sellers. Just human nature.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country

many people on this site wont post sale prices because most people (including myself) believe thats there only offer, so why bother asking? i always ask if thats there lowest price because the worst they'll say is yes. i dont lowball, but if i think its to much i just dont pay that much, im 15 and only have so much money to my disposal. i also hate when people type like they are on there phone text messaging. i type complete words and spell to the best of my ability. i would rather sell on ebay, where i know i wont be lowballed because the auction will end at the price i wanted it to than on here. on here people expect you to go lower than ebay by alot.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Cleveland Cavaliers
    See selby1286's Items on eBay

i think that kid had 50 different super collections at one point

Yeah, thats the kid that was a Supercollector of a new player every day, sometimes he would switch twice a day. And every time he collected a new player he would ask me for a banner. I made at least 4 for him and he asked for like 9.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See bmoy88's Items on eBay

many people on this site wont post sale prices because most people (including myself) believe thats there only offer, so why bother asking? i always ask if thats there lowest price because the worst they'll say is yes. i dont lowball, but if i think its to much i just dont pay that much, im 15 and only have so much money to my disposal. i also hate when people type like they are on there phone text messaging. i type complete words and spell to the best of my ability. i would rather sell on ebay, where i know i wont be lowballed because the auction will end at the price i wanted it to than on here. on here people expect you to go lower than ebay by alot.

Honestly, I wish more kids are like you! Kids today always seem to be in a rush!

As for posting prices, just do like Ebay - post a price but add an OBO. Having a price gives me an idea of where to start. And if you don't like an offer, counter offer.

I've passed up a lot of postings, because I don't want to offend a seller.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Tigers Detroit Lions Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@magicdruid23

As for posting prices, just do like Ebay - post a price but add an OBO. Having a price gives me an idea of where to start. And if you don't like an offer, counter offer.

I agree. It is easier if you list a price so i know what your looking to get and if it's in my budget. I just got back into the hobby and don't have alot of money or tradebait so i've been buying mostly. I don't try to lowball people or say i cold get it on ebay cheaper, if it's something i want then i will pay a good price for it. I don't have money to buy a price guide for 4 sports every month and i'm not going to waste my time running to ebay for every deal i'm making. If the price sounds good i'm going to get it. The bottom line is if your looking to be on this site for a while try to establish good networking skills so you will have people to deal with months or years from now that can say "this guy(or girl) is a good trader" and not "this person isn't worth the time".
    Learn who you deal with and what they like, for example, if i pull a nice verlander that i already have i already know who to go to and see if they need it, not that i have dealt with bowler before but because i know who he collects and would like to deal with him eventually. It doesn't take long to see who the good people are here and know who you'd like to deal with because you know how they handle their business. anyways, that's just my little imput.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree. It is easier if you list a price so i know what your looking to get and if it's in my budget. I just got back into the hobby and don't have alot of money or tradebait so i've been buying mostly. I don't try to lowball people or say i cold get it on ebay cheaper, if it's something i want then i will pay a good price for it. I don't have money to buy a price guide for 4 sports every month and i'm not going to waste my time running to ebay for every deal i'm making. If the price sounds good i'm going to get it. The bottom line is if your looking to be on this site for a while try to establish good networking skills so you will have people to deal with months or years from now that can say "this guy(or girl) is a good trader" and not "this person isn't worth the time".
    Learn who you deal with and what they like, for example, if i pull a nice verlander that i already have i already know who to go to and see if they need it, not that i have dealt with bowler before but because i know who he collects and would like to deal with him eventually. It doesn't take long to see who the good people are here and know who you'd like to deal with because you know how they handle their business. anyways, that's just my little imput.

i dont buy beckett at all myself. i use my bosses beckett online, and hope its paid for every month so i can use it. other than that i use mycollections on beckett cause its free. and i would gladly take a verlander auto any day of the week :) thats all i here now, is with tigers, i get asked first by people :) kinda flatering!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast