Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JDP

Best way to sell a complete collection?

Hi all! It's come time to part ways with my collection of baseball cards, and I was looking for some advice. What is the best way to sell a complete collection? Trade shows? Local card shop? Ebay? Grade individual cards and sell the best ones like that? I'm soo far out of the loop with trading cards, so I'm looking for a little help :)

Most of my cards of from the early to late 80's. I have a few sealed sets of Topps/Donruss from various years, along with many assembled-by-hand sets, traded sets, etc. Needless to say I have tons of stud rookies like Bonds and Clemens and others from the day. I also have random singles of older cards, with the prize being a '56 Topps Ted Williams.

So what's the best way to go about getting the most $$$ out of the collection?

Hey JDP, Welcome to the forum! :D

That is a tough call but I would say you could try the trading forums here or ebay. I would try to sell the better items individually as you will not get as good of a price if you bunch the whole collection in a package.

Hope that helps!

BGray

I agree with BGray. Sell the items individually as people are more prone to buy a bunch of small things than one collection valued at a few thousand dollars. Just my opinion.

Tim

agreed with both of u. sell the bonds and clemens rookies, and the wiliams, and even the sets individually. u can even post in the trading forums if anyone is lookin to buy anything specific.

JDP
    wow, that was fast :) Thanks for the tips guys. As for the individuals (Bonds, Clemens, etc), should I send away to PSA or something to get them graded first? It seems the majority of the cards on Ebay are professionally graded.

It depends. If you think the cards are worth grading (great condition), then by all means, go for it.

Tim

Originally posted by JDP
    wow, that was fast :) Thanks for the tips guys. As for the individuals (Bonds, Clemens, etc), should I send away to PSA or something to get them graded first? It seems the majority of the cards on Ebay are professionally graded.

If you think they will grade high and don't mind dropping a little money on them it would be worth it...But if they don't do well your out the cash...

If your looking at getting rid of your collection, dont bother to get them graded. Why spend more money on something you obviously no longer want. Not most of the cards on e-bay are graded, Alot are. Put the whole collection on ebay, Make a reserve at what you want for all the cards, and see if it sells.
    Alot of time people will bidbut not make the reserve. Then you know what people will be willing to spend on it.

But make sure you give all the members here a chance to get some from you first!

Dont waste you time/money grading the cards. let who buys it do that.

Originally posted by JDP
    If the cards are in GREAT condition then yes.

I would only graded them if they would at least be a 9 out of 10. Anything less than that is worth grading.

As for the Williams if that is in good condition you might want to grade that even if it gets a 6 or a 7.

Graded vintage cards of great players like Williams can sell for 10x the value of an ungraded one if it grades a 7 or higher.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

JDP
    Ok, I think I'm clued in now heh.. I will make an inventory of everything I have, and I'll be back here in the near future :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast