Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See CaliforniaSoxfan's Items on eBay

Mark Brunell Signs with Washington

I just saw on ESPN that Mark Brunell has agreed to sign with the Washington Redskins with a 7 year $43 million contract. Are the Redskins that desperate or are they crazy? Don't get me wrong, Brunell is a good quarterback, but he turns 35 soon so why would the Redskins think that he'd play until he's 42? They paid way too much in my opinion.

they are crazy...he is already too old now...how can he play another 7 years!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well ramsey isnt exactly on the up and up either.. Rumor has it there all ready looking to get rid of him

Jay

SCF Rewards

is the contract guaranteed for 7 years?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See CaliforniaSoxfan's Items on eBay

Originally posted by podstock
    is the contract guaranteed for 7 years?

I would only assume that it was guaranteed. The artilce only stated that they signed him to a 7 year 43 million dollar contract.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Navy
    Cleveland Indians Cleveland Cavaliers Ohio State Buckeyes
    Twitter: @Tribe_Buckeye_Fan See 96berettaz26's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

First off, Brunell will be 34 in September, so he is not "almost 35". Second, he is not too old. Maybe Brunell isn't in the same class, but Favre is a year older. Is he too old? I think not. The contract is for seven years to help displace the money over a longer period which helps Washington with their salary cap every year. The biggest chunk of the money will be in a huge signing bonus.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See stinga6789's Items on eBay

He is definitely an upgrade for Washington. He still has a lot of play with him. Under coach Gibbs I think he will do just fine!

SCF Rewards

HA, I AM SHOCKED....

no really, i am

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jimmy-the-saintpsu's Items on eBay

Originally posted by brunell8
    First off, Brunell will be 34 in September, so he is not "almost 35". Second, he is not too old. Maybe Brunell isn't in the same class, but Favre is a year older. Is he too old? I think not. The contract is for seven years to help displace the money over a longer period which helps Washington with their salary cap every year. The biggest chunk of the money will be in a huge signing bonus.

Brett Favre is Brett Favre. Mark Brunell is Mark Brunell. You can't put them on the same level. Favre has been consistently healthy his entire career. Brunell has become a giant injury risk. Not mention that Favre is a future hall of famer. That's like comparing Dan Marino to Kordell Stewart.

I honestly feel sorry for Patrick Ramsey. He has no protection on the line and it's no suprise he was injured so often. With a decent line and a running back (looks like Portis) Ramsey could become a good QB. I guess some other team (IMO Pittsburgh) will get the opportunity. Ramsey and Portis could've become one of the best QB-RB combos in the game over time. Mark Brunell will last no more than 3 season and retire. Brunell doesn't have 7 years left in him.

This was a poorly conceived idea Gibbs had. I'm really starting to think that my assessment that Gibbs wants to win right away and leave again is correct. Why else would he invest in an injury-prone veteran QB? Snyder also needs to learn when to close the wallet. Both Gibbs and Brunell have insane contracts.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Navy
    Cleveland Indians Cleveland Cavaliers Ohio State Buckeyes
    Twitter: @Tribe_Buckeye_Fan See 96berettaz26's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

What you fail to realize is the Redskins do not anticipate Brunell to play for 7 years. That is to balance out the amount of the contract. Do you think the Lakers thought Magic was gonna play for 25 years when they signed him to that deal? And I did say that Brunell and Favre are not in the same class. My point was the age that was mentioned earlier. Also, Brunell is not, IMO, a giant injury risk. He missed one season because of the knee, and the only reason he didn't return to the lineup last year was because of the rush to get Leftwich into the lineup, not because of the injury to his elbow. A poorly conceived idea? Gibbs came back with the intention of winning NOW. With Brunell, and now probably Portis, releasing the four players earlier this week to allow more cap room, and the #5 pick overall, do you honestly think the Redskins won't have a much better year this year than last? They can draft a QB either this year (Rivers maybe?) or next year (Timmy Chang) and have them learn under Brunell for a couple years. Portis will still only be 25-26 years old, the receivers are relatively young (not counting what else they can get there), and now you have a young, hungry QB ready to prove himself. These are just scenarios I'm throwing around, I have no idea what the plans for the future are, but I'm sure they have thought everything through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast