Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Cubs Denver Broncos Colorado Avalanche
    See Juzthavinfun's Items on eBay

Angry Ebay Sellers shipping costs?

I just received about 7 auction buys from Ebay. I noticed that a couple of them were in envelopes, at least they put them in top loaders. As I was opening them I thought about what I was paying in "shipping and handling charges" ? So one of the envelopes charged 3.50 in shipping. They put a 37 cent stamp. ANother was in bubble wrap but I paid 7.00 in shipping. THIS IS A RIPOFF.

I know what your going to say "you should have looked at shipping charges" I know. I will do that from now on.

The last month I have won 23 Auctions on Ebay. I never really think abought shipping charges. 3 People out of those auctions sent cash back for the overcharge in shipping. I put those 3 on my favorite sellers list.

Sorry for the rant but has anyone else noticed this? Do you yourself do this practice? I have sold one thing and refunded the shipping cost because it took me more than 3 days to get it out. I won't leave negative feedback but I am just pissed at myself for not paying attention.

thanks for the rant!
    David

SCF Rewards
    See ryanhnc10's Items on eBay

wow those are unbelievable for shipping, when i sell i usually charge $2-$2.50 for a card in a bubble mailer but $7 holy crap.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mitcwolf's Items on eBay

i emailed a seller about this once and he gave me a good explination even though i dont agree with it.... the shipping is not figured into the price for ebay to charge the seller for... if he charges 5.00 shipping and it sells for 2 basically it is like you buying the card but he has to pay ebay for 2.00 of that... pretty good reasoning but i would rather just sell it the old fashioned way and sell my stuff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Redzfan11's Items on eBay

I've confronted some folks on ebay as well. Especially when ordering a box or case of cards. You can go out to the USPS website and if you have the weight of the item, it will tell you exactly how much it costs for shipping. I think a lot of the sellers use this like tutall said - to recoup ebay chargesthe cost of packaging, or maybe even the trip to the post office. But some also use it to pad their profit...

I've sold over 400 items on ebay and I charged a standard $1 for shipping one card - sometimes I lost money because I left the card in a screw down...

SCF Rewards

one also has to consider the costs incurred by the seller - including time, cost for supplies, etc.

if it wasn't for sellers selling what folks wanted to buy, where would they go to get it?

if one doesn't like the shipping charges for a particular auction, go after the same item from another seller.

That's what I do

SCF Rewards
    Country

When I look up cards, I look up s/h cost first. If it's between $1-$2, then I'll buy it. I can't imagine a single card costing more than $2 to ship... I guess you gotta figure:

1 Toploader + 1 Pennysleeve + 1 Envelope + 1 Stamp = somewhere around $1.00 at most..I guess it'd cost more in a bubble mailer, but most ebay auctions I win send 'em in regular envelopes.

SCF Rewards
    See dgarlesky's Items on eBay

Smile

i just paid $7.95 for a box of old 80's and 90's packs (one of those "lot deals"). i thought $7.95 was a little steep for 250 cards? i'm curious to see what i get.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mdtanski's Items on eBay

There are a lot of factors to take into consideration here. I have sold many cards on E-bay and charge $1.75 for a card and 25 cents for each additional auction. As RockfnBttm commented, Toploader,penny sleeve postage which is 64 cents and bubble mailer(I have never received or heard of a card being sent in a regular envelope). What wasn't figured in there though is listing fee, closing fee and PayPal fee9 which is why you are seeing more sellers refusing PayPal under $10).

I agree $5 for a card is ridiculous but $7.95 for that many cards isn't bad when you factor in the fees and postage will be at least $3.95 if it is going priority.

There is no argument that some sellers really abuse the shipping but in general I think a lot of the sellers try to be realistic. Besides, they realize a buyer will look elsewhere if they get turned off.

Mike

SCF Rewards

I usually take into account the shipping price before I bid on an auction...one has to pay for shipping anyway in addition to the cost of the item, so sometimes this high shipping can work to your advantage...the $3-$4 shipping price that prospective bidders see will scare them away so that even with the increase in shipping, there's less demand and you can get it cheaper. I bought a Mulder autograph a while back...when I first saw the auction, he had shipping set at $7 for one card...I e-mailed him and asked about it, and he said it was a misprint (shipping was really $2) but he never changed the price on the auction which scared away buyers so I got a pretty good deal on it...plus $5 off of the shipping price listed.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I am very conscious of shipping charges and basically base my max bid price off of that. I recently won an auction that had $2.50 for shipping of one card, the only reason I bid what I did was that they had about 15 other auctions going that I was interested in with additional shipping at 50 cents each additional card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast