Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shelbysaleen

SCF Rewards
    Country

shelbysaleen

1. Name Michael Runyon

2. SCF ID SHELBYSALEEN

3. Location – Asheville, N.C.

4. Give a brief history of what you do in everyday life. What are your hobbies?

I work nights at the Asheville P&D facility for the USPS. I am one of the people that key your packages and bubble mailers every night. Some people think the hours would be awful [8-430 am] but I have always enjoyed working nights.

I enjoy collecting cards [obviously], reading Tom Clancy and Patricia Cornwell novels. We have started bowling with our eight year old daughter [the real life Shelby Saleen].

I love the beach especially the gulf coast of Florida. During the summer I can be found at the local minor league ballpark with the family rooting for the Asheville Tourists. We try and get that years set signed by every member, this year was the first year we achieved that goal.

Along with David Pearson, I am trying to collect all of the Asheville Area racers [crew chiefs, owners, drivers et] I have a great start on it. When I get these first few finished I have to move on to Marvin Panch and Joe Gibbs. Joe lived here until he was 15 or so.

5. Give a brief history of when, how long and why you got into collecting. Please include whether racing was you first passion in collecting, if not, what was. What was the deciding factor that made the change to racing?

I started collecting around 1990-1991. It was after I was honorably discharged from the U.S. NAVY. I started seeing these racing champions cars in K-Mart so I started buying them. I would buy everyone they had [1/64 scale only} if there was one decal different I had to have it. I then moved on to racing sets. I was doing it the old way of buying pack after pack. When I finally got tired of having sets not complete I decided to switch to something in particular.

6. Your driver/driver’s you collect that this honor is for.

Eventually that lead me to go old school with my favorite driver of all time David Pearson. Once I started collecting his cards I had to have them all. That is how I have ended up with 15 partial sets to go with my complete sets. I have almost every card ever made of David. The 2008 legends is going to be a pain though lol.

I have met David about 5 times and still have not been able to complete 2 sentences. I have had my picture taken with him and placed in beckett.

I also like to collect the Asheville Area drivers. I am working on complete sets of Robert Pressley and Dave Marcis

7. Do you collect any other sport, if so what.

I collect minor league baseball cards but only the Asheville Tourists. I have every set made of them and have started getting the new sets signed by the players. I am hoping one day they will make a Kevin Costner Tourists card since the last baseball scene of Bull Durham takes place at McCormack Field with him breaking the record as an Asheville Tourist.

8. Above all give us a break down again of your collection. Percentage owned cards to listed cards. Include some scans of your most prized cards. If set collector, give us again the breakdown to how many sets owned and described some of the more rarer sets or favorite sets you own. Also include some pictures of the unique items of your collection.

I have 100 percent of the base and inserts made of David Pearson.
    I am only missing the 03 preview [EBAY] and 3 solos 1/1s.

i do have the 2005 1/1 which was his first solo card ever. I also have the David Pearson Richard Petty solo 69 card signed.

I have every autograph card made of David Pearson up until the legends set. I am going to be hopefully getting the legends inscriptions one day.

I also have 100 percent of the race used cards [minus the 08 legends set]

The special thing about my collection is that every card is signed by the David. Whether it be a press plate, race used or 1/1 they are all autographed.

I also have 2 lithographs signed by the artist Jeanne Barnes and David plus a crew member uniform top. Everything I have of his is signed almost.

There is a mini champs 1973 IROC on the way to me that was driven by David Pearson.

9. Please enclose a personal picture of yourself so we can see the person behind the fantastic collection.

Everybody needs to check out Michaels website listed below. In it you will find this great collection that he has emassed.

http://www.shelbysaleen.stangnet.com/index.html
    Last edited by Lesracing; 12-13-2008 at 05:15 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Congrats Michael

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates Pittsburgh Steelers
    Upper Deck ePack

Congrats, Michael, on this honor!

Darin

Country
    See Mrlumu's Items on eBay

Congrats! That Pearson Collection is just amazing!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Labontebrothersfan's Items on eBay

CONGRATULATIONS MICHAEL - you have a awesome collection

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 01Crewzer's Items on eBay

Congrats Michael

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See shayne1911's Items on eBay

Congrats Michael!!! You've got a reallly nice collection! :)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See tmorrow1957's Items on eBay

Congratulations Michael!!

Tom

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (18) NUTS
    Country
    See SHLBYSALEN's Items on eBay

Thank you very much for this honor. Since obtaining this, I have received a 1/1 solo pearson from the 2008 legends

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 3dalesrca's Items on eBay

Why to go Michael....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast