Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Tons of basketball rumors: Tmac to the Pacers & Kobe to the Suns

"We could make it work, absolutely," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Tuesday. "I have spoken to somebody in their organization, and I sensed there was interest there. What they're telling me is, there's a good chance he's going to be traded. So, yeah, a player like that out there, we're definitely going to be interested."

How to do it?

McGrady's salary cap number is around $14.5 million. The Pacers would have to send Orlando players whose combined salaries fall within 15 percent of that number. So it's like this: Start with Al Harrington ($6.3 million), who will get traded in the media no fewer than 50 times this summer. Then it's an issue of deciding who that second player might be.

Jonathan Bender ($6.5 million)? That would be my preference, but it might not be Orlando's choice.

Ron Artest ($6.2 million)? That would be hard to swallow, but for McGrady, it's a deal I'd make, however grudgingly.

It's a price worth paying to have the Shaq-and-Kobe of the East.

(And no, I don't think the Magic would happily take Austin Croshere and his big contract off Walsh's hands. If we're going to talk about trades, let's talk about ones that might work for both teams.)

"Once everybody agrees on the principals, our two guys for their one, you can make it work," Walsh said. "It wouldn't be that hard."

For his part, McGrady, who is friends with Jermaine O'Neal, has mentioned Indiana as one of the teams he'd be willing to join as part of a sign-and-trade deal. The only caveat for the Pacers: Making sure McGrady would be willing to sign a long-term deal to remain here. Indiana isn't going to mortgage its future for a one-year rental.

Now, keep in mind, you can throw just about anybody's name out there -- George Mikan, for instance -- and Walsh will say, "Sure, it's always worth following up with a phone call." And rumors, big ones, are born.

But this is not one of those.

The Pacers are interested in McGrady, and should be interested in McGrady. And Walsh made it clear Tuesday, he and Larry Bird are willing to move anybody except O'Neal if it means making a deal that catapults them past Detroit.

"Is anybody untouchable?" Walsh was asked.

"No," he said. "No one. Except Jermaine. He's our franchise player."

Not Artest?

"No," Walsh said.

Not Bender?

"No."

Some thoughts for the Bobcats:

It's well known that the Suns would pursue Kobe is he opts out of his contract. However, they will be about $6 mil short. Coincidentally, Jahidi White is due $6.2 mil this coming year and he has been left unprotected in the expansion draft. I'm thinking that the Bobcats can persuade the Suns to give up their #7 pick in this year's draft for taking Jahidi White's contract off their books, allowing them enough money to make a run at Kobe. The Suns know they have a legitimate chance at landing Kobe because they already have a few good people (Amare Stoudemire comes to my mind) and Kobe could help the Suns become a playoff contender again.

Also, the Wizards have made it known that they are not enamored with anyone in the draft save for Emeka Okafor and Dwight Howard, who will most likely both be gone by the #5 pick. The Bobcats would do well to get the Wizards to give up their #5 pick in this year's draft for taking Christian Laettner's 6.2 mil contract or Jerry Stackhouse's 7 mil contract off the books. If I'm not mistaken, none of these contracts will count against the cap until the first day of the season, and the Bobcats (I believe) could waive Laettner or Stackhouse and end up with basically a free pick.

With a combination of the #4 and #5/#7 pick, we could either entice the Magic into giving us their #1 pick for the two picks and maybe a veteran, or we could just keep the two picks and draft any combination of these players:

Shaun Livingston, Luol Deng, Andre Iguodala, Josh Childress and possibly Dwight Howard (Some mock drafts have him slipping to #4).

Along with some young talent and inexpensive veterans, we could have a very good Year One team on the floor come the 2004-2005 NBA season.

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

I've heard the Pacers rumor as well. My friend told one to me that he read, and while I might not like it - it could work.

A 3 team deal (Pacers, Bulls, Magic)

Magic get 3rd overall pick and Artest
    Bulls get Harrington
    Pacers get TMAC

SCF Rewards
    Country

the nuggets also can are prob going to try to get kobe.
    but white will be realeased they already said thats why they got him was to realese him

SCF Rewards
    Country

If T-Mac goes to the Pacers it would completly ruin there team in my eyes. Look at the Pistons they dont have a "big" Fanchise player like Kobe or Shaq, and they all play together. The pacers all play together now, and have good defense. T Mac plays no defense.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See stinga6789's Items on eBay

I don't think Kobe will be going anywhere. Phil's probably leaving and Kobe doesn't like Phil.

SCF Rewards

Originally posted by Deadshot
    A 3 team deal (Pacers, Bulls, Magic)

Magic get 3rd overall pick and Artest
    Bulls get Harrington
    Pacers get TMAC

that's a bad trade for the Pacers

T-Mac may average 30 points, but he'll let his man score 20+

Artest may only score 18-20 points, but he'll shut down the other team's best player.

and then Pacers lose their 3rd pick

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah - I didn't say I agreed with it. Only reporting the deatails.

SCF Rewards

Originally posted by minew_m
    I don't think Kobe will be going anywhere. Phil's probably leaving and Kobe doesn't like Phil.

agree!

if Kobe goes elsewhere, he automatically loses $30-50M on his lnog term contract.

naturally, there will be some type of "compensation" to make up for that loss...but the rules dictate that Kobe make at least $30M less by signing with another team

it's the "Larry Bird" rule - NBA wants to maintain fan loyalty, and the best way to do that is to allow the team to sign its current free agents at much higher value than other teams can

and unlike Jerry Krause, the Lakers don't believe in the "players don't win championships, organizations do...." mantra

Since Jordan and Pippen left, the Bulls haven't done jack, and their 2 top players - Curry and Chandler - haven't really improved their game in the past 3 years.