View Poll Results:

Voters
0. This poll is closed
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autos VS Game Used

Question Autos VS Game Used

I have been doing alot of thinking and rethinking lately about my collection. Game Used has seemed to lose it's appeal to me to a certain degree (it has to alot of us I would imagine, with the mass production of it in the last couple years). I have started warming more towards collecting autographs. What of the two choices do you guys/gals collect most, and why?

Peace,
    Rima
    ~COLLECTING specific Chris Brown autos & multi color patches
    ~Collecting Hakeem Nicks, Stepfan Taylor, Mario Manningham, Geno Smith and Victor Cruz Auto's

TRADE LIST:
    Hidden Content

Re: Autos VS Game Used

Originally posted by BlackDiam0nd66
    I have been doing alot of thinking and rethinking lately about my collection. Game Used has seemed to lose it's appeal to me to a certain degree (it has to alot of us I would imagine, with the mass production of it in the last couple years). I have started warming more towards collecting autographs. What of the two choices do you guys/gals collect most, and why?

Peace,
    Rima
    that is not going to make your roommate happy...

I like auto's unless the gu'd is a rookie jersey, then I like it...

For me I like autograph cards better.

The reason because at least they are something.

Game used cards are just a piece of a hat, jersey, bat, etc.

I'd rather have a complete jersey than a 1" square of it.

But it should be up to you since you are collecting whatever player. Some players have cheaper autographs and game used cards than others so that could be a factor you might want to look into.

Oh also when a person dies they cannot make more autographs of him while they can make more game used cards. Yes they can do cut cards but there still has to be a supply of autographs to do it. A bat can be made into thousands of game used cards.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

lol GI.....I say tough about that!! ;) If she wants to outbid me on ebay for something, she can (well, unless I fix it so she can't...lol)

When I started collecting, I started with vintage and autographs (the send to the player w/ SASE variety) I had some awesome autos, but sold/traded them all. Big regrets! As far as the players I collect, I would never get rid of those...way too much time invested, but I go buy what "grabs" me when I go thru my collection, and lately the GU just don't have the "coolness" (for lack of a better word) to them than the autographs. I am partial to my Dodger stuff though! I agree about the cards and the availability when the player passes on. Geeze, look at Derrick Thomas' autos! Also, it seems since Tug McGraw has been diagnosed with brain cancer (though he is in remission I believe) his autos are generally pretty hard to get!

I was just curious on e1's take on it :D

Peace,
    Rima
    ~COLLECTING specific Chris Brown autos & multi color patches
    ~Collecting Hakeem Nicks, Stepfan Taylor, Mario Manningham, Geno Smith and Victor Cruz Auto's

TRADE LIST:
    Hidden Content

I like autographs way better because game used is so mass produced. I only like game used if it is of an old player like a piece of a babe ruth bat or something. There is just something about an autograph that makes it more personal.

I like both. I like autos a lot and game used a lot, but I think autos are really cool and hold their value, especially if someone dies (the sad truth with it all) but I like both.

Tim

Believe it or not, I have NO cards of AU/GU before I joined this forum.

I stopped collecting in 1990s (except for buying two 5,000 count boxes on Ebay back in 2000) due to college and post-graduate work.

So, all I have are cards I used to collect in 1980s (quite a few vintage), and cards I've acquired via trades this forum.

Just got my first AU from Mookie -- who, like you, was kind enough to do a trivia, and I won it!

so, once I get the GUs from you -- that'll be the first of its kind for me

lolol.

I plan, in the coming years, to collect the cards I've been missing out on (although I do have quite a bit of Jerry Rice / Kobe cards).

I guess you could say I am a born-again collector.

Originally posted by podstock
    Just got my first AU from Mookie -- who, like you, was kind enough to do a trivia, and I won it!
    Damn podstock. hehe. I did not know that the auto you got from me was your first. I feal honored that I was your first. hehe. From getting an auto card from that is. hehe.

Now with the Auto Vs. Game Used. I had voted to go with the auto since it will hold more value but with the game used I will say it would depend. If it were a RC game used then I would hold more to it then an insert game used. Also, game used such as hats, shoes, will non jersey single colored ones are still kinda cool. Ones that have 2 or more pieces of game used are still cool. Like the 2000 Leaf Limited Limited Series with the football and football lace are still cool. hehe.

But over all I would have to go with autos for the long haul. :)

Richie
    mookigremlin
    :p

Autos.... I think that they are cooler than a peice of jersey and they are produced less overall it seems. I have always been a fan of autographs in general... even before GUs came out.

Autos....they have and always will have higher values...but it's still cool to pick up a GU every once in a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast