Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

A short guide to getting your jersey framed

well this question comes up a lot and I thought I would help out with the knowledge I have on custom framing (over 5 years of custom framing).

First: You should really decide how much you want to spend on this kind of project. You can get pre-made shadow boxes for just under $100 and you could be one and done there. When getting it custom done, it will be $150+

Second
    : There are endless design possibilities for how you want to frame something. From frames to matting, it never ends. Before you get into all of that, you need to decide how you want it displayed. This is a big one because your decision here will set up the way your piece will look once it is done. When deciding how to display the jersey, I mean how the jersey will be positioned (i.e. sleeve positioning, length of jersey shown..etc)

A lot of people don't sew the jersey down showing the entire jersey because it ends up being so big. You can always fold under the jersey in length and have it sew down as such and you will never be able to tell. Remember though, don't try to force the jersey in an un-natural position, by this I mean the fabric will lye a certain way naturally. It will fold and be positioned in only so many ways. It may not be exactly what you are looking for but just make sure it is natural and when it is done you will see why that was the best decision.

Third: Ask if the frame shop has some examples of what they have done with jerseys. Get a good feel of how they will sew down the jersey. If you are like me, you like the jersey to be as taught as possible when it is sew down. So make sure they can accommodate what you are looking for. Nothing is more frustrating than bringing it in, spending the money and getting it back not the way you wanted it. Always let the framer know when you are talking with him/her that you would like it done a certain way.

Fourth:I won't say much on the matting because that is all up to you. In terms of colors, I will say this; black suede mats look very sharp! They work on most jerseys, have a deep black color and make the jersey pop. In terms of frames, you can save yourself a great deal of money by going with a metal frame. I use metal frames on my jerseys because I like that they don't stick out from the wall as much and they are lighter. Not to mention you save quite a bit!

Fifth: I made this a note on its own because of how critically important it is. With glass, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get UV protection glass or plexi-glass. I don't care where you get it from, make this a top priority even if you buy the ready made shadow box.

That is pretty much all I can think of at the moment, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

BTW, many major stores (michael's, hobby lobby, jo-ann fabrics) accept competitor coupons. Stores like Michael's and Jo-Ann fabrics offer 60% off every now and then and it is worth the wait for that. If I were to recommend one place, it would be Michael's Arts and Crafts. they have the most reasonable prices and great sales. A word of advice, get it done right the first time, so you don't have to worry about it any more.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thank you very much for this great post!!! I am going to make this a sticky.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

PM sent...

Last edited by Pheebs888; 06-06-2010 at 10:35 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I was very happy with a framed Steve Young jersey I purchased on Ebay from Planet Frame. They will frame your jersey for like $250 and they do a great job (based on the one I purchased). Take a look at them if you are considering having a jersey framed, at least to compare against what a local frame shop is quoting you. Here's the link to their site:

http://www.planetframe.com/
    Last edited by Vegas; 12-14-2009 at 06:23 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

for my Rob Schremp jersey I framed I used Michael's Arts and Crafts. I bought a large shdow box for jerseys pre made. They were selling I think for $100.00. The frame is nice, but its not the top of the line. Its fairly light weight, It has plexy glass instead of real glass. It was on sale for 50% off. I also had my 40% coupon. So I think I paid around $30 or so. That was over a year ago. You can get 40%, 50% coupons I think at ACMoore.com YOu just have to sign up for emails. They will email you coupons all the time. You can print out the coupons, other stores take these coupons. You can go to my photobucket and see a pic of my jersey if you would like to.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have no complaints with SFdisplay jerseys cases. Top quality with UV protection. Paid around $80 dlvd off ebay. Looks incredible and well worth the money.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Here is a link to gameworn.net where I discuss how I framed my jersey, dirty cheap:

http://www.gameworn.net/cgi-bin/GW/u...c;f=1;t=022577

SCF Rewards
    Country

Why can't I use regular glass?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See chaskew9's Items on eBay

Why can't I use regular glass?

You can but, the sun will eat up the signature and cause yellowing on the jersey...The UV/Plexi prevents that
    My Bucket: Trade/Sell
    Hidden Content

Looking for Atlanta Braves Autos an Bobbleheads

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast