Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Labguy42- Jim Thorpe

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See hagansp's Items on eBay

Labguy42- Jim Thorpe

Congrats to Tom (labguy42) for his amazing Jim Thorpe collection. He is our 1st member to own 2 Super Collector titles. Doing so for Thorpe and for Red Grange. Both of his collections of these historic players are truly amazing. Congrats on the collection!

Jim Thorpe Collection

base 250/267- 94%
    game used 108/117 (counting the 2008 upper deck icons lettermen) 92% not counting 1/1's
    autos- 0
    1/1's- 5
    38 different 1st day covers
    bunch of oddball cards not listed
    multiples of most!!!
    I am sure the value exceeds $15,000
    PROOF:
    http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w...orpe%20extras/
    This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by CHillyDoggy; 01-01-2011 at 01:55 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jdio113's Items on eBay

Again, simply incredible collection Tom!! Congrats on the award and keep up the great work!!

Jason

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay

Congrats!

Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Falco_shane's Items on eBay

Wow! That's all I have ... not enough words in the English language to describe what it must be like to own those along w/ Grange.

Great job.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates Pittsburgh Steelers
    Upper Deck ePack

Congrats on this honor!

Darin

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Green Bay Packers Cincinnati Reds
    See rchurchward22's Items on eBay

Oh my goodness!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

A hard collection to start let alone acquire what you have, Congrats!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jaderock's Items on eBay

Tom

Great collections...I've followed them on the other site. If you don't mind sharing answers to these questions with the forum:

Here's my TOP TEN questions for the supercollector! Scan would be great too!
    1. What is your #1 favorite card?
    2. What is your favorite parallel or insert (not auto or GU)?
    3. What is your favorite Auto card?
    4. What is your favorite GU card?
    5. What is the best story in regards to obtaining a specific card?
    6. What is your best "steal" for your collection?
    7. What is the most expensive card in your collection...what did it cost you?
    8. What one specific card has eluded you till this day? and why?
    9. What specific card (non base) do you have the most of?
    10. How do you store your collection?

Thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See labguy42's Items on eBay

jaderock:

some answers to your questions:

Here's my TOP TEN questions for the supercollector! Scan would be great too!
    1. What is your #1 favorite card?

Has to be this 2002 Donruss Jim Thorpe/ Red Grange card numbered of 25. That is what started the collection for me and new focus in my collecting. I have almost all football sets from 1950-1996 and in 1996 my daughter was born so I pretty much stopped collecting sets and focused on just stars and rookies. In 1999 my son was born and I sold off over 1,000,000 "commons" and kept the sets and stars to clear out the 2nd room on my 3rd floor so my wife could put her craft room there and my son had his own room. In 2002, this card came out and I had to have it. It has started an obsession, which is never ending and very competitive with the players I collect:

Front:

Back:

2. What is your favorite parallel or insert (not auto or GU)?
    I guess the national treasure base or parallel cards numbered 125 (base) 25 (parallel). These cards depict the old style of cards I enjoy and gives the throwback pictures of the leather helmet and uniforms.

3. What is your favorite Auto card?

Any would be nice and I resent you for asking that question lol. I never win any of his because of my #1 nemesis on ebay who will bid any amount to win the autos. I have made that my new years resolution. To buy a Thorpe auto this year (2009) fingers crossed.

4. What is your favorite GU card?

So not to repeat the 1st entry, I will go with this. It depicts 2 of my collected players Thorpe, and Grange and is #1/1. Jaderock I think you know the story about this one as besides autos I almost never get the chance to own a 1/1

5. What is the best story in regards to obtaining a specific card?
    Well there are 2 other BIG collectors of Thorpe cards that go back to 2002 and at one time we had some agreements so the prices were not going to go through the roof. Well needless to say, most of those agreements were broken due to greed etc.. I can honestly say I stuck to my word the longest until I got fed uip with the other 2 getting others to outbid me on the cards and selling the cards to them. I found this out after about 1 year and many missed opportunities. Well back to the story the 1 guy decided he was going to buy every 1/? and the other guy was going to buy every 2/? card so when this card came out and there were only 3, my only chance was to get #3/3. I found the card at a local show and the guy had it displayed and I asked how much and he said it wasn't for sale?? I asked then why bring it to the show and a few of the other dealers who knew who I was and what I collected knew I would not take no for an answer. I left the show with nothing, but a phone number and a promise that if he ever decided to sell he would contact me. I kept in contact as this was his only show he did every year. The show was coming up and I called him and he said he would talk to me at the show, but I told him I could not make it as I had to go to my wife's brothers wedding in New Jersey and if there was a way to meet him somewhere to discuss terms etc. He shopped the card around at the show to see what he thought he could charge me for it and decided to go with $1200.00, which was high, but I knew I would not see it again. Luckily the week before I received a really nice bonus at work which nearly paid for the card so it was finally mine after a year of negotiations etc.. Here it is #/3

6. What is your best "steal" for your collection?
    No steals for this guy. HIs stuff sells really high, but if I need to answer, I paid .32 delivered for this a month ago. Not worth much, but part of my collection.

7. What is the most expensive card in your collection...what did it cost you?

See 4 and 5 above same price $1200.00 TOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!

8. What one specific card has eluded you till this day? and why?

ANY AUTO STOP ASKING!!!! LOL

9. What specific card (non base) do you have the most of?

Tie:
    2007 leaf 10

2005 donruss 10

Yellow stamp #10 incoming

10. How do you store your collection?
    Whatever the people I buy them from ship them in and I just put them in a 5000 count box in order by year, #, etc. I need to buy a safe.

Thanks for the questions. I may answer the Grange questions later.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Congratulations!Well done!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast