Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

One of the Big Dukies may be in the NBA next year!

Just found out that Luol Deng declaired himself eligible for the NBA next season. He didn't hire an agent. That means if he doesn't get picked then he could still go back to school. I think he is probably going to go in the first round though (20-25th pick). He was ranked the number two high school player (after Lebron) two years ago. He has lots of skills and knows the game!

I think he will go early then 20-25 I predict 15 around. He is a great and versitle player.

I would have thought that too, but I guess there are quite a few high schoolers going in the draft next year. The NBA teams don't want to pass up on what could be the next Kobe or KG.

Haven't seen enough Deng to say whether it's good or bad

But I do know that 2 of our UCLA Bruins are making a DEVASTATING MISTAKE by declaring themselves for the draft.

Junior Dijon Thompson, who hasn't hired an agent, is making himself available to the draft. There's no way in hell a team should draft this guy.

We had a team that most of the times barely scored in the mid 50s. Dijon was supposedly our leader, but he averaged 14 points. He's not a reliable defender, not a reliable shooter, and isn't 7'4" tall. His skills are B- at best. Yet, he wants to test the waters

hahahahahahaha.

even worse than Dijon is freshman Trevor Ariza, who not only is declaring himself in the upcoming draft, but hired an agent. Ariza is TALENTED, but, he missed 4-5 games b/c of a collapsed lung (no way Denver will draft him in any round, b/c of the mile high altitude). And he really hasn't shown that much to be drafted in the 1st round. He's not particularly big (I think he's 6'6"), and a scrawny kid who Karl Malone would run over like a military tank would run over a speed bump. He's not a reliable defender, not a reliable shooter, and terrible free throws.

What's even more stupid for Ariza is that in the mid-1990s, Jaron Rush (who's more talented than Ariza) left for the NBA after his sophomore year.....and didn't get drafted. He went to play in Europe, etc..and now lives in an apartment. hahahahahahaha

When Jaron declared himself, we at UCLA all begged hiim to stay 1-2 more years to fine tune his skills. Jaron's "people" (aka agents) filled his cocky head with bullsh*t .........

and the irony is, his little brother Kareem Rush now plays for the Lakers. Kareem, who could've left after his 2nd year, stayed at Missouri for a 3rd year. Kareem now makes several million a year, and once his contract runs out (either next year or in 2006), he has shown a good enough shooting touch that he'll likely be re-signed by the Lakers.

We begged Ariza to stay...but this idiot is permanently gone

But, Dijon still has a chance to come back

I'm sure Deng will be a decent NBA player. Just last year he could have entered the draft and get a late first round pick. Coach K did convince him to stay a year and it did help his game. I wish he could stay a year or two more at Duke but I'm not sure if he really needs it.

Originally posted by minew_m
    I wish he could stay a year or two more at Duke but I'm not sure if he really needs it.
    Ever since Kevin Garnett became the very first to jump from high school straight to NBA (hasn't happened since 1970s).....

only Lebron James has shown in his very first year that he belongs.

Kobe didn't do much
    Garnett didn't do much
    Jermaine O'Neal didn't do much....

I would venture to guess Deng could always use more experience.

For someone who's 6'8", he averaged 14.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and 1.8 assists in 30 minutes of play.

Not that impressive.

I think it would be the better for Deng to stay one more year. But what do I know? If he stayed 1 more year he would go top 10.

That is pretty impressive considering their lineup. The way coach K plays is that everyone gets the ball. No one really gets that much more shots than others do. If you look at their averages, it's pretty well balanced scoring for all of the starters. If you want to go back and look at his high school stats, he was pretty close to Lebron points wise. He is a scorer and a great defender. If he would have went to college for other teams, his scoring definitely would have been up there.

Coach K does play a very balanced team year in and out stat-wise. Another year would have helped him, but he will still be respected by the team scouts. He can play, and he proved that, and someone will pick him up in the first round....probably one of the teams with a better record this year, that pick up one of the players that turn out in the long run to be one of the best in the draft. seems like it always happens that way to atleast 1 or 2 players a year

He probably will go late in the first round. Many draft boards that I have seen on the internet have him ranked in the top ten though. I hope he doesn't go there (I want the lakers to get him, lol)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast