Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

gatorboymike - Avery Johnson

Michael becomes the first member to become a Super Collector of two players. First, Mike Dunleavy. Now, Avery Johnson. Michael is just 82 cards away from owning every card in existence. His collection currently stands at 83.4% complete. Truly a collection worthy of HOF status!

Photobucket

Collection Totals
    Grand Total: 451/510 (88.4%)
    1/1s: 6
    Autos: 22/23 (95.7%)
    Game Used: 3/3 (100%)
    Rookie Cards: 1/1 (100%)

Favorite Cards

10. 1996 NBA Jam Session Ticket Stubs

Have you ever seen one of these before? This is the only one I've seen. If you had a ticket to the 1996 NBA All-Star Jam Session in San Antonio, your ticket would be stuck on the end of a Jam Session card of a Spurs player. They're virtually impossible to find today.

9. 2010-11 Ultimate Collection Ultimate Signatures Triple Johnson/Robinson/Wilkins (/25)

Oh, Upper Deck. Not going to let a little thing like losing your NBA license stop you, are you? Lucky for me they still had plenty of Avery's autographed stickers left to make a sweet triple auto like this.

8. 1997-98 Skybox Premium Autographics Century Marks (/100)

This card comes from the second year of Autographics, but it's Johnson's first inclusion in the set and his first NBA-licensed autographed card ever. This is one of the even rarer versions that wasn't serial numbered because it wasn't supposed to be released, but was anyway.

7. 2001-02 Topps Pristine Sweat and Tears

Johnson's playing career was winding down just as game-used relic cards began to get pervasive enough for someone as underrated and overlooked as him to get his own. He only has three different game-used cards, in comparison to 23 autographed ones, and in this one, the "relic" is a piece of a sweaty towel. There's a bit of originality for you.

6. 1993-94 Finest Refractors

Before autographs, game-used, and serial numbered cards, parallel sets were king, and this was the king of the parallel sets. These are still my favorite refractors ever, due to their colorful appearance and sentimental value.

5. 1987-88 Southern University

From the high end down to the low end. This was Johnson's first card ever made, the only one to show him in his college jersey until Upper Deck started making NCAA cards, and predated his rookie card by two years. He only had one rookie card, and it wasn't made until his third season in the NBA. If he'd been a rookie this year, he would have about 30 RC's.

4. 2006-07 Chronology Autographs Gold (/10)

Though this isn't my favorite Avery card, it was the one I was more happy to get than any other. I originally tried to redeem a redemption for it, only to have Upper Deck tell me after 14 months that they wouldn't honor the redemption. In defiance of them and everything they stand for, I finally obtained one two years later on eBay.

3. 2006-07 UD Trilogy Generations Past Trios Signatures Robinson/Gervin/Johnson (/3)

This is Johnson's best card ever made. He seems a little out of his leauge here, but apparently Upper Deck didn't have any other retired Spurs players to sign for them. Oh well, it's all the better for me.

2. 1998-99 Metal Universe Gem Masters (/1)

Like the PMG Greens, but even harder to get as it's a 1/1. Johnson only has 22 1/1s, and 20 of them were made before 2000, which means they're even harder to find. It was because I had this one and the Green PMG that I decided to collect Avery Johnson.

1. 1997-98 Metal Universe Precious Metal Gems Green (/10)

This is my favorite basketball set of all-time, and the one that made me conscious of low-print run cards. I was lucky enough to pick up several of them shortly after they came out, when they were relatively cheap. In 1998, this card cost me $55. If it were to sell today, it would fetch hundreds and hundreds. But this one is all mine.

Congratulations on becoming the first member with two super collections!
    Last edited by Jay520; 02-01-2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Updated Top 10

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Wow, it's hard enough to become a supercollector of one guy, let alone two. The PMG is very cool-looking, and the old college card is a great oddball item.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See stat_1's Items on eBay

Awesome collection! I was fortunate enough to meet Avery back when he played for the Spurs. He's a great guy!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See kgarnett215's Items on eBay

Awesome collection Mike! 79% of all cards...wow! That is an unfathomable number! Big congrats to you!

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

AMAZING PC!! Congrats!
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See undefeated*'s Items on eBay

Thanks everyone...Johnson is actually a pretty easy guy to collect, since most of his cards were issued before or during the time when serial numbering was just catching on. Of course, that makes his serial numbered cards even harder to find, so my collection of him has pretty much slowed to a crawl. The super-rare ones are the only ones left!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Phoenix Suns

Nice job being a super collector of two players! So does your Avery collection include any cards of him as a coach (if they exist?)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rookie_dealer's Items on eBay

Congrats on your collection!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Fellow Avery collector here. Haven't retyped my havelist since hard drive crash, but I had around 200 different myself. :)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See undefeated*'s Items on eBay

Molly: there are five different cards of him as a coach and I have three of them. The other two are rare.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast