This should make for some interesting game used cards...

In a move that has purists howling, Major League Baseball has agreed to decorate its bases -- and pitching-mound rubbers and on-deck circles -- with a spider-web pattern as part of a promotion for the release of Sony Corp.'s "Spider-Man 2" next month.

The superhero sequel is set to open in theaters June 30. "`Spider-Man 2' Weekend" will start Friday, June 11, and all 15 MLB teams playing at home have agreed to participate for one or more games, the WALL STREET HOURNAL reported on Wednesday.

The deal is baseball's latest attempt to develop a splashier national marketing image. "In an ultracompetitive sports-entertainment environment, you have to take risks," says Tim Brosnan, MLB's executive vice president for business.

Kinda silly but for comic and card fans it should make for some highly sought after collectables.

LOL If you listedned to MIKE AND MIKE in the MOrning today you might of heard of Ralf Naders complaint. I am sure he iwll be happy now. LOL

The studio that is releasing "Spiderman 2" seems to gotten very chummy with MLB or most of the MLB teams. If you take a look at a lot of team's 2004 stadium giveaway schedules, you'll see that most teams are giving away some kind of Spiderman 2 souvenir--makes me wonder if some of the movie takes place at a baseball game. (I do know that some of it was filmed last summer among downtown LA's skyscrapers.)

I dunno but while I think the base thing is stupid I am a comic geek from way back so if the tie in at least makes some sense storyline wise I might be a little more forgiving about it.

I think it's stupid because they are paying what? 3.3 million or something, and nobody can see it but the players....

Luke

here is a link to a picture of the base....its not as bad as I thought it would be..makes me wonder if my game used joke is actually more of the intended angle than the advertising? It sure is more subtle than I expected it to be.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../ny16605052033