Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

darkqug - Kevin Dineen Super Collector

One nice thing about amassing a sports card collection of a retired player is the fact that most of his cards have been already issued and, in most cases, you know what they are.

Just ask darkqog (Will) about his Kevin Dineen collection. Of Dineen’s 252 known hockey cards, Will owns 243 of them. While Will admits there may not be “a ton of” Dineen collectors out there, he says he hasn’t seen a more complete Kevin Dineen collection anywhere.

“I have 96 percent of all Kevin Dineen cards, including some tough finds like the 1991-92 Finnish Semic World Championship sticker, as well as the 1991-92 Pro Set NHL Sponsor Awards,” he said.

Will’s Dineen collection includes 149 base cards; his only two rookie; three autos (four certified autos exist – Will sent in a redemption for the fourth a couple of years ago, but has yet to receive it); Dineen’s only game used card; 93 inserts; and oddballs/unlisted to include 21 Strat-O-matic and other game cards, nine printing plates/negatives, and an Ace pin; as well as one game-used stick, a signed replica jersey, and a ticket stub for "Kevin Dineen Day" for the Toronto St. Michael's Majors.

To get a gander of Will’s collection, visit www.kevindineencardmuseum.com.

“Kevin Dineen was my favorite player on my hometown Whalers as I was growing up,” Will said. “I liked the fact that he could score and was aggressive (as his PIM totals attest). I also received a Kevin Dineen autographed replica jersey when I was growing up, which really solidified my feelings as him being my favorite.

“Despite the fact I have been a Kevin Dineen fan for much of my life, I didn't start seriously collecting him until about four years ago when I figured it would be fun to start a player collection. However, I did have some of his cards I pulled from a pack as a child. The very first is probably the 1998-89 Topps #36, with the wacky bulletin board design.

“I chose him over an active player because 1) He is still my favorite player, and 2) It was possible to collect all the cards ever produced of Kevin Dineen, whereas that would be practically impossible with a current player. I've really enjoyed collecting Dineen and while I don't have all his cards yet, I think I will get there eventually,” Will added.

Will’s favorite card would probably have to be his PSA 10, 1985-86 O-Pee-Chee Kevin Dineen rookie card.
    “I think the set design from that year was great, and the Dineen card looks fantastic. The fact that I managed to obtain one graded so highly just ices the cake. Some of my other favorites include the 2000-01 Titanium Game Gear #12 and his 2006-07 Parkhurst Autographs,” he added.

One of his toughest finds, and one he felt unattainable, was the 1991-92 Pro Set NHL Sponsor Awards card.

“As I understand it, these cards were only given to attendees of the NHL awards in 1991. Thus, most of the recipients were scouts or otherwise affiliated with the NHL. However, every so often a set of these cards will show up on eBay.

“The card isn't much to look at (it’s almost identical to the regular first series Pro Set issue), but it was great to finally track a copy down,” he said.
    In the meantime, he continues to search for a few whales lurking out there – the 2000-01 Upper Deck Exclusives #/25, the 1993-94 Stadium Club First Day Issues and a 1991-92 Swedish Semic World Championship card.

“I’ve had a great time collecting Kevin Dineen. He is my favorite all-time player, and by all accounts a really nice guy. It seems possible to collect all the cards ever made of him, which is practically impossible for any current player. I enjoy chasing down cards from brands like Stadium Club, Score, and Pacific that otherwise I would ignore, and get a lot of satisfaction when I am able to land a rare card, often for very little money.

“If you have a favorite player who was a regional star or local favorite, I highly recommend starting a collection of him. It has been the best collecting decision I have ever made,” said Will.

(Written by Duff McFadden - Comatoad)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See hossa18sens's Items on eBay

That is great. Love to see a player that dosn't get enough hobby love.

Congrats and Gl finding the last few Whales
    Chris

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See darkqug's Items on eBay

That is great. Love to see a player that dosn't get enough hobby love.

Congrats and Gl finding the last few Whales
    Chris

Thanks, Chris. And thank you, Duff, for the nice article!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See vieillecorneille's Items on eBay

Awesome Collection!
    I always liked Kevin Dineen

SCF Rewards
    Country

intresting player selction to focus a collection on

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Awesome Collection!
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

SCF Rewards
    Country

nice collection

SCF Rewards
    Country

Nice collection.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Now that was something really different and cool to look at. A player who is by no means mainstream and a fan who worked hard to chase all his stuff down. That is quite the accomplishment, congrats!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See stlbluesfan87's Items on eBay

Here in Columbus theres a Dineen fan who owns several of his game used jerseys. Not cards mind you, full jerseys. a few of us were lucky enough to purchase jerseys the summer after the first season, and I have a jersey worn in the CBJs first ever game.

I believe she owns a jersey he wore in his last game before retiring, he wore one each period that night.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast