Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See superfly0914's Items on eBay

DaCLyde - (Hensley Muelens)

I'd like to welcome the newest member to the Super Collector HOF, DaClyde. Jason has built a truly amazing collection of Hensley "Bam Bam" Meulens. He has tracked down several hard to find minor league and Japanese cards. He has also done some work in helping to build the Muelens Wikepedia page, and has compiled his career stats and listed them in the web. Both of these sights can be found in the links below, along with Jason's Picasaweb page of his Muelens collection. Please take a moment to look over his great collection.

I currently have 111 total different Meulens cards which includes 97/102 or 95.1% of those recognized by Beckett, as well as an additional 14 cards including Japanese, oddball and unlicensed issues Beckett doesn't recognize.

The only non-card item I currently own is a baseball signed by members of the 1989 Columbus Clippers, including Meulens.

It's not really relevant to my collection, but I've done a lot of work on his entry at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hensley_Meulens

And also tried to compile a complete record of his professional baseball career to include all minor league, winter league and international play:

http://daclyde.googlepages.com/meulens_stats.htm

I've got my wantlist posted on my trading site here:

http://daclyde.googlepages.com/

and I have an image gallery of all of his cards scanned on my PicasaWeb album here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/daclyde/HensleyMeulens#

I started collection his cards back in 1989 when he was the most highly touted hitting prospect in the Yankees organization. I thought I'd take a shot at speculation and picked up about 40 of his 1989 Donruss card. It almost got to be a joke among my friends at school where they'd just give me whatever Meulens cards they had because no one else cared about him. I picked up every MLB card I could find for him for about 5 years until I fell out of collecting after graduating high school. A couple of years ago, when I discovered trading sites on the internet, I decided to pick up where I left off and see if I could complete my Bam Bam collection.

As it turned out, he'd played for 4 different countries since I'd last followed his career, and was now coaching in the minors. He never really had any measure of success in MLB, but did well in the minors, Japan and Mexico.

Hidden Content | NFL HOF Player RC Collection: 221/284 (76.8%)
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    Always looking for vintage stars/semistars/rookies in all sports.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Sweet PC!
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates Pittsburgh Steelers
    Upper Deck ePack

Nice collection! Congrats on earning this honor!

Darin

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @DaClyde See daclyde1's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio

Thanks!

Despite a couple of my other player collections measuring far more in individual cards and stuff, I think I've had more fun chasing Hensley "Bam Bam" Meulens cards than anything else I've done in the hobby over the past 18 years. It has led me deeper into the worlds of international cards, minor league cards and even unlicensed cards than I ever bothered to look before. I even took a couple of days vacation last year to go to Indianapolis for baseball card night to get the 2008 Indianapolis Indians set that had his latest card.

Next year's set may prove more of a challenge as I can't see flying all the way to Fresno to pick up his new Grizzlies card this year. But who knows?

What's really surprising is that in a 6000+ card Yankee Stadium Legacy set, there's not a single card of Hensley Meulens. He played for the team for parts of 4 seasons and while they could make 60+ cards of Wnfield, or hundreds of Mantle, Ruth, DiMaggio and Kevin Maas, not a single card of either Meulens (or Roberto Kelly, one of my other longtime favorites)!

I think the hardest piece to find is going to be that 1994 menko of him. It's hard enough finding standard issue base Japanese cards, but a Japanese oddball is going to be insane!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See metsin19990's Items on eBay

Congrats! I've looked at your collection before, and it's always stunning to me how you managed to get all those oddball cards.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @DaClyde See daclyde1's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio

If you like oddballs, here's my latest. Had no idea this one existed until it popped up on eBay!

SCF Rewards
    Country

That is one great collection. I hope you find the rest of your wants some day.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See metsin19990's Items on eBay

If you like oddballs, here's my latest. Had no idea this one existed until it popped up on eBay!

Very nice. I can't wait to get to a point in my Vlad collection where I can focus on oddball stuff...but at this rate, it's going to be years from now.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See tsgthesportsgamer's Items on eBay

Hah, had to dig this one out of my oddball vault. I remember getting it in some weird sports card "grab bag" as a kid, I always thought he had a funny name.

1989 Rookie Superstars #17

BANNED

Country
    See xMCSPORTSCARDSx's Items on eBay

never heard of this guy but nice collection!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast