Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Okay Game Used cards have gone too far

From beckett.com if you don't believe me.

"Donruss paid $264,210 for a Ruth-worn 1925 Yankees pinstripe home jersey, one of only three Ruth home jerseys known to exist, winning the jersey through bidding in Lelands.com's May auction."

"According to Lelands, the Ruth jersey - with "G.H. Ruth" embroidered into the fabric - is the earliest known in existence."

"Jerseys like this traditionally have been available only to society's mega-rich," Donruss president Bill Dully said Wednesday night. "Donruss has taken a leadership position and for the cost of a pack of trading cards, people across America can experience the thrill of owning a piece of this great baseball icon."

"The company has heard from collectors opposed to cutting up the jersey. However, the company believes more fans and collectors can experience history by doing so."

"Thousands of people will now get the opportunity to own a 'piece' of history verses one, and I'm all for the masses sharing in this exquisite piece," says Mike Gardner, Donruss vice president of sales and marketing."

---------------------------------------------------

Wow! Way to go sportscard industry.

Cut one of the rarest jerseys of the greatest baseball player ever so you can put it onto some cards that are going down in value as we speak.

And ™™™ is up with Mike Gardner now saying thousands of people will get an opportunity to own a piece of history.

1. I doubt thousands of cards will be made with the jersey or they will be worth even less than I thought.

2. A FULL JERSEY IS HISTORY A PIECE OF 1x1 SQUARE OF A JERSEY IS NOT.

I can't wait for their next series when they cut up the Mona Lisa painting and shove that on some cards so that "everyone can enjoy this piece of history".

Here's something for you.

WHY DON'T YOU PUT THE JERSEY ON DISPLAY AND TOUR IT AROUND THE COUNTRY SO EVERYONE CAN ENJOY IT?

Oh wait that won't increase your sales so you don't give a $%&@ about doing it.

Sorry about this rant here people but I am kind of sick that people are chopping stuff up to make money on it and then calling it "sharing history with people".

And if you want to blast me and say that I didn't complain about when they cut up Babe Ruth's bat.

Here's my response:

Most of the bat cards were made from DAMAGED AND BROKEN BATS. So it wasn't that big of a loss. Second, this is a 1 of 3 KNOWN JERSEYS. There are hundreds of Babe Ruth bats out there so it would take a while to dwindle the amount of bats in existence. Third, I was upset when they cut up his bats and I DID COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

2. Check out the Auctions from Packrip.com
    Insane... now I'll be bale to buy a piece of a Ruth jersey for like $10 in 5 years. This GU crap has to stop or there won't be anymore cards in 10 years.

Originally posted by IggyWH
    Insane... now I'll be bale to buy a piece of a Ruth jersey for like $10 in 5 years. This GU crap has to stop or there won't be anymore cards in 10 years.
    At this rate there won't be any memorabilia left either.

These card companies don't understand SUPPLY AND DEMAND.

As soon as you make MORE Babe Ruth or anybody else game used cards you make the previous ones worth less and less.

That is why when game used cards first came out you could sell commons for $100. Now you can't even get $1 for stars.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

That's just crazy, one more reason I'm getting out of cardboard...What a waste of a great piece of sports history...

they should have bought the bonds ball and cut it up, these people are nuts...

I don't agree. It's a good thing for the hobby and the economy. Putting this on tour will not generate the amount of sales as would individuals owning a little piece of history. But if they cut up the other Babe Ruth jerseys - that's bad.

Tim

sports always was and will be about MONEY

Life itself is about money.

and I am not surprised that Donruss is doing this.

I find it extremely sad. Its one thing to cut up a Jeter jersey,
    but to cut up something that has only 3 known to exist is
    gut wretching to say the least.

Peace,
    Rima
    ~COLLECTING specific Chris Brown autos & multi color patches
    ~Collecting Chris Brown, Hakeem Nicks, Stepfan Taylor & Geno Smith Auto's, multi color patches & 1/1's

Not only are there just 3 copies of this known to exist, but it states this is the oldes one. Why not go for the middle or last one, not the oldest. That makes it even more of a tragedy than it already is. I am a big Yankees fan and I think this is horrible!
    I am personally OUTRAGED at Donruss or anyone else doing something like this to a piece of not only Baseball history but United States History too. The next thing is 1X1 pieces of the Constitution or Declaration of Independance.
    What a bunch of crap!

Originally posted by rice80fan2
    Not only are there just 3 copies of this known to exist, but it states this is the oldes one. Why not go for the middle or last one, not the oldest. That makes it even more of a tragedy than it already is. I am a big Yankees fan and I think this is horrible!
    I am personally OUTRAGED at Donruss or anyone else doing something like this to a piece of not only Baseball history but United States History too. The next thing is 1X1 pieces of the Constitution or Declaration of Independance.
    What a bunch of crap!
    It's funny you bring up the historic documents......

I don't remember which company it is, but they are going to release a set with auto cuts of Lincoln, Washington, Kennedy, etc. There is also going to be other stuff inserted, but I don't remember what. You know they had to have cut up some sort of valuable documents to get those 'graphs. If I kind find the link I will post it here.

Peace,
    Rima
    ~COLLECTING specific Chris Brown autos & multi color patches
    ~Collecting Chris Brown, Hakeem Nicks, Stepfan Taylor & Geno Smith Auto's, multi color patches & 1/1's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast