Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question on how people get values

I just have a random question that I have been running across the last couple of weeks. Why do people say....."The card books at 150, but I gave up 225 for it, so I need that out of it". Does this happen to other people to? Why am I expected to give more than a card is worth just because the other person over paid/over traded for it? Just wondering if I am the only one this happens to. Thanks for your input.

2. Check out Steel City Collectibles Clearance Center
    It happens all the time. Some people want a certain value out of a card and not everybody goes by book value, some do sale value. If you run into a problem like that in the future just politly say no thank you and move on to something more in your range.

Dale

you are assuming a card is worth its book value...often times its worth much less, but in many cases especially among prospect cards, they are worth more (sometimes way more)

for high value cards, look on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Djarum View Post
    It happens all the time. Some people want a certain value out of a card and not everybody goes by book value, some do sale value. If you run into a problem like that in the future just politly say no thank you and move on to something more in your range.

Dale
    I definetly agree that you should be able to ask whatever you want out of a card, after all it is YOUR card, but to expect people to give a higher price just because you did seems a bit odd to me. I can see if a card is going up for instance if the guy just won rookie of the year, or something like that, those cards would have a higher value at that time. I am always polite and pass on the higher amount, but just wanted to get other peoples takes on it. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by dooly View Post
    you are assuming a card is worth its book value...often times its worth much less, but in many cases especially among prospect cards, they are worth more (sometimes way more)

for high value cards, look on ebay
    Like I just posted, I understand that, and the prospect cards are a good point too, but most of the guys I run in to are looking for a premium on guys that have been around a while.

ive had this happen alot lately... goes like this:

somedummyposts - "i lost my job and need to sell my stuff"

I pm offering - ~80-90% ebay

response - i paid 150% ebay and i gotta get that out of it

me:

I am not going to name names here because thats not how I handle things but I had a guy offer me this deal the other day.

Total BV = $299

His Sale Price = $440

Initial Post He Sent To Me Prices Added Up To = $550

I told him his prices were high and he said the extra amount was for shipping, envelopes, cases, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
    I am not going to name names here because thats not how I handle things but I had a guy offer me this deal the other day.

Total BV = $299

His Sale Price = $440

Initial Post He Sent To Me Prices Added Up To = $550

I told him his prices were high and he said the extra amount was for shipping, envelopes, cases, etc. etc.
    wow, were the cases made out of GOLD? ha ha. I am glad to hear I am not the only one going through this. I think of my self as a reasonable person, but I am not going to get myself stuck with something just because the guy before me overpaid.

or or or...maybe someone's personal value is that amount, i hate bv and sv, i go by personal value
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

Quote Originally Posted by gladdyontherise View Post
    or or or...maybe someone's personal value is that amount, i hate bv and sv, i go by personal value
    i agree. bv and sv have become so twisted by people. but i use them as guides. hey, if they are happy with the trade and i am i could care less what the values are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast