Austin, Abbotsford, Glens Falls joining AHL in 2009-10

A bit of movement with AHL teams next year...

http://www.theahl.com/news/league/in...rticle_id=9993

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. The American Hockey League Board of Governors convened for its Spring Meeting today in Chicago. AHL President and CEO David Andrews announced the following:

The Board approved a limited membership to Hicks Cedar Park, LLC, to allow for the operation of an AHL team in Austin, Texas, for the 2009-10 season. The limited membership is conditioned on Hicks Cedar Park, LLC, completing the purchase of an AHL franchise within one year.

The Board approved the relocation of the franchise owned by the Calgary Flames from the Quad Cities to Abbotsford, B.C.

The Board approved the transfer of ownership of the Philadelphia Phantoms franchise from Philadelphia Phantoms, LP, to a newly formed entity known as Phantoms Hockey LLC, owned by the Brooks Group. Subsequently, the Brooks Group was granted approval to relocate its AHL franchise from Philadelphia to Glens Falls, N.Y., beginning with the 2009-10 season.

2. Check out Steel City Collectibles Clearance Center
    My dad lives in Abbostsford and that town is pumped for the team to get there. They have a great new building from what I am told, and should hopefully support that team very well.

Thanks for posting this.

Always nice to get a AHL team as it just a step down from the NHL.

DON
    Customized Shoes for any occasion!
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

The Board approved the relocation of the franchise owned by the Calgary Flames from the Quad Cities to Abbotsford, B.C.

For years, Quad Cities (Davenport and Bettendorf, Iowa and Rock Island and Moline) had the Mallards, in the goon United Hockey League. They were a popular team, winning several championships. The Mark of the Quad Cities (their arena), basically dropped the Mallards in order to the get the Flames' top affiliate.

And now, with the Flames leaving, it'll be interesting to see how long before they get another franchise (AHL or perhaps another UHL team).