The Rockets' Red Glare: Kelowna Wins the WHL Championship!

WOOOOOOO!!!!!

Third WHL Championship this decade!

From Castanet.net

Barrie's OT goal gives Rockets title

by Wayne Moore - Story: 46845
    May 9, 2009 / 11:00 pm

Tyson Barrie scored a power-play goal 8:13 into overtime Saturday, giving the Kelowna Rockets a thrilling 3-2 victory over the Calgary Hitmen and a trip to the Memorial Cup.

"I just saw some empty ice, Bennie saw me backdoor like he usually does and all I had to do was put it in," says Barrie of his game winning goal. "If feels great."

Alex Plante was handed a hooking penalty eight minutes into overtime after he dumped Rockets Ian Duval behind the Hitmen net.

Rockets coach Ryan Huska called time out to talk about the power-play.

"We told the they had been moving pucks around very well during the game on the power-play and to keep doing what you have been doing and make sure to go to the net hard if there are any rebounds," says Huska.

"I don't you could draw up a power-play like that. They did a very good job of executing."

The Rockets won the Western Hockey League Championship and the Ed Chynoweth Cup four games to two.

They will now represent the WHL at the Memorial Cup starting next Friday in Rimouski, Quebec.

Kelowna found themselves down 1-0 after Bostjan Golicic scored on a breakaway after stepping out of the penalty box at 7:45 of the opening period.

The Rockets turned it up a notch in the second period, led by Jamie Benn, who stepped back into the line-up after missing the last three games of the series.

Benn went after Calgary defenceman Michael Stone at centre ice after Stone had levelled Mikael Backlund with a thunderous body check.

Benn received a double minor for roughing but sent a message to the Hitmen that the Rockets were not going to back down.

The Rockets picked up the hitting game from there and started to wear down the Hitmen.

"We were physical tonight in the second period and I think we wore them down and backed Calgary right off which is something that was important to us," added Huska.

"We got 50 shots tonight. The urgency and desperation our guys played with even after giving up that shorthanded goal makes us very very proud of our guys right now."

Colin Long got the Rockets on the board with a power-play goal 11:43 into the period before Lucas Bloodoff notched his fifth of the post season 1:20 later.

Benn did most of the work on the go ahead goal, taking the puck in the left face-off and backhanding a pass in front of the net that went off Bloodoff's skate and past Martin Jones.

The goal was reviewed but it stood.

The Rockets looked to be in control in the third, however, with the Hitmen on a last power-play, Brett Sonne centered a pass that went off Tyler Myers right to Joel Broda who tapped in his 11th to force overtime.

Kelowna dominated the extra period, outshooting Calgary 6-1. They outshot the Hitmen 50-26, just 48 hours after Calgary had posted 50 shots against the Rockets defence.

After being badly outplayed through most of games four and five, the Rockets bounced back Saturday with one of their better efforts of the playoffs.

"It always seemed like we played two average games every series so I'm glad we got them out of the way in those two," says Myers.

"I thought we deserved the win tonight. We battled very hard tonight."

Myers, named series MVP, says it's an unbelievable feeling to win a championship in front of the hometown fans.

"To do it in front of the fans after two rough years, it's nice to get a win for them."

The Rockets received a major lift Saturday with the addition of Benn and Kyle St. Denis to the line-up.

St. Denis hadn't played since early in game one while Benn was hurt early in game two.

"They were huge. Even just their presence around our room gave our guys a big time boost," says Huska.

"They are very good players and to have them back in our line-up was huge. To have them play as well as they did was very important."

Benn finished the night with a pair of assists while St. Denis logged a lot of minutes and was dangerous on the rush.

While important in itself, winning the Ed Chynoweth Cup holds extra meaning to Rockets owner and General Manager, Bruce Hamilton.

"Most of all, I am so honoured to win the Ed Chynoweth Cup. He was a very dear friend of mine and my mentor," says Hamilton.

"It means a tremendous amount to me and my family and the whole organization."

Chynoweth, the long time president of the Western Hockey League, passed away last year.

The Rockets will be participating in their third Memorial Cup in seven years.

They join host Rimouski and OHL champion Windsor in the Memorial Cup. The QMJHL champion has yet to be decided.

The Rockets, who will leave for Quebec Wednesday, take on host Rimouski in their opening game Friday. Kelowna will play the Quebec champions Monday, May 18 and the OHL champions Tuesday, May 19.

------------

BRING IT ON!!!!!
    Last edited by RGM81; 05-10-2009 at 07:52 AM.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 241 Unique Cards + 14 1/1's!!!

2018-19 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Brendan Gallagher, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content

2. Check out the deals at Allgood Collectibles eBay Store
    The Sabres signed Tyler Myers to a 3 year contract today....meaning he will probably be a Sabre all next season as he cannot go to the AHL