Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Priest in compromising photos admits two-year affair

When I first saw this headline, I figured this guy was cheating on his wife. But apparently he was only cheating on God.

Somebody please explain celibacy to me, and why it's important? My uncle is a priest (or minister...is there a difference?) and he's married and has 3 kids. Which religion makes their priests remain celibate?

Remember a few years ago when it seemed like every other day there was a priest involved in some sort of child sexual abuse? Didn't all those priests swear to remain celibate? Why is it impure for a holy person to have sex?

2. Check out the deals at Allgood Collectibles eBay Store
    can't help you here but my grandpa was a minister before he passed away and he had a few kids.

catholic priests cannot get married and must remain celebate. Just as in every religion there are some bad apples and the media loves to report on any scandal dealing with a priest. Just another reason I hate the left wing media.

I'm not sure of the specifics, but it's only a few religions that has that kind of thing. As far as I know, there aren't any Protestant churches that requires their ministers to remain celibate. Obviously Cathlicism does...not sure of what others. I don't really know the background or reasoning behind it, but I assume it has something to do with having God as your deepest relationship and focusing all your efforts on that. I don't really get it either...a spouse is one of the most important and best gifts God gives us, why would he not want a priest to have one?

As kind of a side note, this is another reason I'm not a big fan of the "mega preachers" and "mega churches." It's great that they're able to reach that many people, but when you're in the spotlight that much and that much money is coming through your hands, it's very tempting to stray. Obviously this guy was tempted...might it have happened if he was just a small town preacher, sure, but there are more chances and more temptation the more people you come in contact with. Then there's the Minnesota mega preacher who's being investigated by the IRS...he has many cars including Porsches and the like, has a private jet, has a couple of multi-million dollar homes. There's Joel Osteen in Texas who's extremely rich and either has his own jet or charters one a lot to travel between TX and CA. I have no problem with preachers making a good living, if they're doing their job right, they are very, very busy people and are constantly "on the job." But I do have a problem with this kind of thing. Maybe it's unfair to expect more out of a minister than a regular member of the religion, but it seems wrong to me when a preacher has his own jet, usually $1 million or well above, while there's so much good they could do with that money for God's kingdom.

"To deny our own impluses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human."

This is old news. This has been going in Latin News Channel for more than a week. He is a very famous priest. I am not approving what he did, but lets face it, he is human and it is very hard to saty away from those things. People are making a big deal out of this just because he was with a woman.

What aboujt all the other priests that have sex with childrens? You hear from them the day they found out and that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by jvansande View Post
    catholic priests cannot get married and must remain celebate. Just as in every religion there are some bad apples and the media loves to report on any scandal dealing with a priest. Just another reason I hate the left wing media.
    I never understand this argument. This has absolutely nothing to do with right/left wing media. The news is suppose to report stuff that are out of the ordinary. What are they suppose to report? "Priest successfully retires after 25 years of never touching a kid and having no black marks on his record?" That's not news. That is someone doing what they are suppose to be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
    I never understand this argument. This has absolutely nothing to do with right/left wing media. The news is suppose to report stuff that are out of the ordinary. What are they suppose to report? "Priest successfully retires after 25 years of never touching a kid and having no black marks on his record?" That's not news. That is someone doing what they are suppose to be doing.
    okay rockman, Its not news when a priest gets caught having sex with a consenting female thats no ones elses business. They reported it to ruin this guys life and because he was catholic. There is no reson to report this at all, he didnt hurt anybody, he had an affair. Your statement about never touching kids just shows how narrow minded you really are. Its gossip, not news. I never understand why people turn to cruel remarks about stereotypes of certain people either. Ohh he's a priest he molests kids ha ha. There is no news value in this whatsoever.

The church relieved him of his duties as a priest. Maybe the story is how silly some rules of the church are in that a man should preach love to his church, but can not be free to find that specific type of love himself. Why would a church preach sanctity of marriage and not allow those that preach that exact word not to partake in such a union that they deem so ideal. Sounds a bit backwards to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jvansande View Post
    okay rockman, Its not news when a priest gets caught having sex with a consenting female thats no ones elses business. They reported it to ruin this guys life and because he was catholic. There is no reson to report this at all, he didnt hurt anybody, he had an affair. Your statement about never touching kids just shows how narrow minded you really are. Its gossip, not news. I never understand why people turn to cruel remarks about stereotypes of certain people either. Ohh he's a priest he molests kids ha ha. There is no news value in this whatsoever.
    no news value? It reports how sick and twisted some priests are that they would feel the need to take advantage of innocent ones despite it being one of God's biggest no-no's. Priests can be sexual predators juts like the regular part of the public that need to report as sexual predators.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast