Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See onepimptiger's Items on eBay

Senate Considers Federal Tax On Soda

Senate Considers Federal Tax On Soda

The Senate Finance Committee today is hearing proposals on how to pay for President Obama's proposed universal health care plan, which is expected to cost more than $1 trillion. Among the proposals, as Consumer Affairs reports: A three-cent tax on sodas as well as other sugary drinks, including energy and sports drinks like Gatorade. Diet sodas would be exempt.

Now wait a minute. I thought there wouldn't be any tax increases to pay for Obama's health care plan? Or was that Hillary's plan?

The only good thing I can say about this: at least it's a fair tax. If this goes through, I'm sure it won't be counted when discussing President Obama's affect on taxes...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Army
    Detroit Tigers Detroit Red Wings Detroit Lions

Not surprised.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See duwal's Items on eBay

it might be worth it for people to stop drinking the soda. When a can of Coke can peel off chrome from your bumper it might be good to consider not drinking it. But then again people still smoke heavily, even when they know how harmful it is to the body

SCF Rewards
    Country

it might be worth it for people to stop drinking the soda. When a can of Coke can peel off chrome from your bumper it might be good to consider not drinking it. But then again people still smoke heavily, even when they know how harmful it is to the body

True, but should it be the governments place to tax things they feel are not good for the people?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See fromtrashtotreasurechris's Items on eBay

good thing i dont drink soda anymore:)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See primo808*123's Items on eBay

You know back in the 1940s it was'nt wierd to go to the dr office and the dr would be smoking a cigerette while telling your mom what ails you. Back in those days eating steak every day was sign of wealth and you would be so lucky to be able to do so. The ppl back then mostly died from lung cancer & heart attacks. Back then you became an adult you would'nt drink soda cuz that was a kids drink. Today we know that smoking is bad for you and eating too much red meat is not good. We are drinking soda throughout our lives nowadays, and drinking alot of other carbonated drinks as well. Today less ppl are dying from lung cancer & heart attacks, but we are seeing an increase in stomach cancer and diabetes. I can tell you the stomach cancer stems from consumption of carbonated drinks throughout our lives, and as far as diabetes is concern. The primary reason there is an increase there is because we have become a sedentary society. Don't get me wrong, automation is a good thing but we can basically live sitting down and not breaking a sweat. Now a days if you want to work out your body you better have a gym membership. So what I am I saying, nothing much just trying illuminate the terrain which we find ourselves currently deployed.
    As for raising taxes, if the govt was providing free health care for all then I think this kind of move would be fair, but in this country they don't so I feel they don't deserve to go there. I will say this though we have ourselves to blame for this kind of attempt at gouging mr joe taxpayer. Alot of ppl were/are in favor of higher taxes on cigerettes to punish smokers because they didn't smoke but they did'nt realize that was just the beginning, eventually the were gonna be one getting bashed because it certainly was'nt gonna end there. We created this animal that constantly feeds on our tax money and gives lil in return. So what to do about this, there is no quick fix that is for sure, we need a quick fix to a problem that is HUGE. We can vote em out to let em not we aint gonna stand for it but that will take another 50-70yrs. We do have an out though, you see there was clause written on some important govt paper in the very beginning that said if the current state of govt has failed or has out lived its usefulness then we can throw it out and start all over again. I for one think its time for it..

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See onepimptiger's Items on eBay

True, but should it be the governments place to tax things they feel are not good for the people?

Exactly the point. I'm an American, I should be free to make my own decisions about the consumption of sugary drinks...

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't one of the explicit powers given to the federal government when the Founding Fathers drafted the Constitution.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Exactly the point. I'm an American, I should be free to make my own decisions about the consumption of sugary drinks...

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't one of the explicit powers given to the federal government when the Founding Fathers drafted the Constitution.

Of course they didn't have 300,000 Americans dieing from heart related problems a year, and two thirds of the country overweight.

I don't necessarily support the tax, but I certainly don't think it would be the worst thing ever.

Blog Entries
    Country

soda is gross anyways

SCF Rewards
    Country

This isn't so bad in the sense that they are trying to do something. Probably not the only motive, but still one of them.

At the same time though, the State has to look out for widespread problems (obesity, overweight) to help keep the people as functional and productive as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast